Are you often accused of "dressing up?"

cetati

d8aa91a7_899954_lookbook.jpg

I wore this to the mall yesterday to shoot photos for my Lookbook with my brother and totally got weird/hateful looks from a lot of women. Sigh.

missah

When I go out, I don't feel comfortable in anything that doesn't make me look presentable. Sometimes I'll go for a kinda rocker look but even then, itll look together and presentable. I get told of by my friends all the time, they say stuff like "Anna why are you dressed like that? You stand out so much! Why can't you just dress normally like everyone else?" But thats my style. I dress in skirts and dresses and half the time, my style can be classified as "sexed up office girl" I suppose. But the thing is, I always get compliments and looks from guys when I go out and my friend always get pissed off because of that. And when we go shopping, she tends to just copy the clothing I'd wear or have tried on! I hate how she's such a hyprocrite. It suits my body shape to wear high waisted skirts and nice floral tops or anything that isn't v neck. It suits my figure so I dont get why my friends get pissy that I know how to dress up and buy clothing that suits me. I suppose when someone is telling you that you're too dressed up, they're just jealous that you look better than them. Or that everyone is looking at you because you stand out. I personally like that I try to look my best when I go out, because at home i'm a slob. I love dressing up and I wont change for anybody, because it suits my body, is my style and makes me look and feel great.

ssaemblog

Sometimes, but not often.

I don't go out unless I have a ride and when I go out, it's usually just to Barnes and Noble, hah. And even though all I do is sit at the cafe, drink coffee, and study Chinese, sometimes I really just want to dress up. I'm finally getting out of the house. May as well look spiffy while doing it.

missah

That happens to me all the time, and I'm a teenager. I'm the type of girl who will not leave the house unless I am dressed nicely, not because I'm trying to look older, but because I always like to look presentable. I used to be constantly stared at when I was at the mall wearing something as simple as a ruffle top with a high waisted skirt and black tights.. Just because I like to look nice and wear dresses and skirts instead of tshirts and jeans doesn't mean I'm dressed up. D:

I've learnt to ignore the looks and remarks. At least I don't look like a slob like others, lol. :)
I'm exactly the same. I have to feel that I look presentable before going out! Sounds like an outfit I've already worn too *hi-5*
Kudos on not looking like a slob=D

princess sarah

I have a very relaxed outlook on clothes but not makeup and hair. Im always seen running around in black jeans, chucks and random 'famous stars and straps' shirts or band shirts. im look at as one of the boys but everyone always comments on how bright or pretty my makeup is and how much it makes me stand out.

I have 14 piercings all up and i listen to heavy metal and my wardrobe is black but i love fluro eye shadows and bright colours that stand out in the black.

On the rare occasion i really dress up and wear heels, people do look at me differently and think i am overly dressed up only because of how they are used to seeing me. I love feeling girly and dolled up and looking pretty and people noticing when i make an effort. But as you can tell... i definately dont get alot of comments that i over dress.... just that i know makeup well and that is my pretty thing

manderz86

I've almost always got makeup on & I love to accessorize, more so now that I've had my hair cut short - I like to dress it up a little with bows or flowers (I live with 4 males so I need the girly touch or we'd all look like we had matching family haircuts lol).

I find the comments come from the same people, always the ones who don't make much of an effort themselves, which is fine, if that's your thing, just don't pick on me for dressing the way I like! My sister in law in particular picks apart everyone's outfits & when she gets to me she says things like, "I wish I had time to do my nails, but I have 3 kids to look after"
The thing is, I have 3 kids as well, so she's clearly being snarky about me being "selfish" spending so much time on myself. When we were newly married & I was too young to know better I used to make a point to "dress down" whenever we were visiting because of the fuss over how over dressed I was but I've since realised that I shouldn't have to conform to anybody's ideals & that she most likely IS projecting her insecurities onto everyone else.

I really don't care what people think, I'll wear what I think looks good & makes me happy.

aroseisarose

I get that all the time, people asking "where are you going all dressed up?" and questions similar to that. I just believe in making an effort. I mean it's not like i walk out of the house covered in sequins lol but it's just that i try hard to wear and style something that truly flatters me. I like wearing nice casual dresses and making an effort with my hair and makeup and I honestly couldn't walk out of the house without having washed and styled my hair and put on something decent. I see people all the time wearing those god forsaken juicy couture tracksuits, one girl I saw was all in blue - she looked like a smurf. And you know fair enough if she wants to dress like that, with SEXY written across the ass but that's not me.

Candlecove

There are days when I wake up in the morning and feel like I'm ready to conquer the world. Those days I do dress up ... high heels, carefully applied makeup, my hair gets styled, I put on my corset and my stockings, put on jewellery and a nice dress. And there are people who wonder why I look like that when all I'm doing is buying groceries or going for a walk. But it makes up for all the stupid comments when a little girl ask her mom is she can look like that one day, or when an old lady stops me to say that she remembers the times in her youth when it was considered normal.

In my mind its's not me who's overdressed, it's other people that are way underdressed.

missah

There are days when I wake up in the morning and feel like I'm ready to conquer the world. Those days I do dress up ... high heels, carefully applied makeup, my hair gets styled, I put on my corset and my stockings, put on jewellery and a nice dress. And there are people who wonder why I look like that when all I'm doing is buying groceries or going for a walk. But it makes up for all the stupid comments when a little girl ask her mom is she can look like that one day, or when an old lady stops me to say that she remembers the times in her youth when it was considered normal.

In my mind its's not me who's overdressed, it's other people that are way underdressed.
I agree. I live in a suburb where everyone either dresses too young [skinny jeans, chest bearing tops when they are like 40+] or ridiciulousy sloppy. I like wearing heels and dressing to the nines and I feel like a sore thumb when everybody stares at me.

Latest posts