Are you often accused of "dressing up?"

Cleopatruh

UGH I can totally relate. People used to always ask me why I was "so dressed up" in jeans and a nice top, or a casual dress and sandals. I think it's because a lot of people are even more casual. But I never let it get to me because I just looked at it like Okay, I am into fashion and that is just not this person's thing.

na294

I get this all the time. I can have a bummy outfit but just because I wear heels with hit people are like oh wow where are you going special?

naturallyfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadoremac
I get accused all the time but i really dont care. I think if i am to go shopping for clothes why not buy the best of what the store has to offer hence i do not own anything simple or comfortable and i like it that way.

I totally agree. I get this a lot at class, where most girls (NOT ALL, but a lot where I'm from) wear sweats and cartoon pajama pants in front of their teachers and professors. I don't buy very trendy clothes, rather than clothes that look good on my body, and are timeless. Sweat pants are for the gym and sleeping!
th_wink3.gif

NotteRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallyfab
I totally agree. I get this a lot at class, where most girls (NOT ALL, but a lot where I'm from) wear sweats and cartoon pajama pants in front of their teachers and professors. I don't buy very trendy clothes, rather than clothes that look good on my body, and are timeless. Sweat pants are for the gym and sleeping!
th_wink3.gif

Yes!! Completely agree! It was that way when I was in college and I just hated how people would roll out of bed and into class [and not shower first... eww].

I get the "dressed up" comment all the time, but I take it as a compliment. It means I put more effort into myself than the person who mentioned it. If they meant it negatively, then the joke's on them. I actually feel great about myself.

vividtouch

hello cno,

well i think its a good thing? because it only means that you have been noticeable and known for being dressed up and to think that you are just wearing a simple clothes...means you really have what it takes. you're such a good dresser i guess.
as for myself, well sometimes yes, actually sometimes even when i am just at home my mom will ask me if where i am going, and when i say why, she will reply that because i am dressed up? whaaat?! haha
maybe because i just want to look good even just at home and so i put some powder and some gloss...and that what makes them think that im dressed up even im just wearing a simple home clothing... hehe

just don't mind what other people are saying, what matters most is that you are comfortable with what you wear and you feel good about it. thats you and nothing they can do about it. its better to look beautiful and dressed up always than to look ugly crap! lol!

jazmatazz

I get this sometimes, and it took my a long time to realize (IMHO), that people make that comment because it makes them feel uncomfortable about themselves in some way. Well, I'm not interested in anyone projecting their feelings onto me so I just ignore it as well.

A lot of times I think this happens for me because I like to err on the side of caution and be overdressed rather than underdressed. Sometimes this means being slightly overdressed but it really doesn't matter to me. I think people should just wear what they want, feel good in and reflects their personal style.

It makes me feel extra good about myself to spend time picking out an outfit that works for me and then have fun wearing it!

I also wear a full face of makeup when I'm in the mood (pretty much every day haha) and this gets similar comments too. Not sure why other people care when it's my face.

~Crystal~

It ALWAYYSS happens to me on campus... yes I'm a full time student and NO i'm not in the arts faculty... but honestly!! I'm way more comfortable in a dress (they're stretchy and not so restricting!) than jeans so i don't get it!! My dresses are all absolutely PLAIN too... one colour, no embellishments etc. or anything... even my jewellery is simple! T&co mini heart key in silver and a pair of small pearl studs!!

I wear them coz they were made to fit me properly and keep me comfy... (being a size 6 with E cup boobs doesn't make shopping easy!)

Just because I'll wear a pair of patterned stockings with them if it's winter and carry something that isn't a backpack doesn't mean I'm dressed up... and yes I do a full face of make up (no eyeshadow though) every day but most people can't even tell!!

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazmatazz

It makes me feel extra good about myself to spend time picking out an outfit that works for me and then have fun wearing it!

I also wear a full face of makeup when I'm in the mood (pretty much every day haha) and this gets similar comments too. Not sure why other people care when it's my face.

I feel the same way.
I think your comment about people making these kinds of remarks out of personal insecurity is right on target.
Close on the heels of, "You're all dressed up!" often comes a petulant "You make me feeel bad/like a slob ..."
The implication seemed to be that I was being unkind in some way, by making a bit of effort with my appearance.
If I'd purposely set out to embarrass someone by "showing her up," that wouldn't be very nice, or very adult, but I have *never* done that, so I don't feel guilty in the slightest.

na294

My mom always told me that you should always dress nice because you never know who you are going to run into that you'd like to make a nice impression on. This doesn't even have to be for a cute guy but even for a boss or someone important!

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by na294
This doesn't even have to be for a cute guy but even for a boss or someone important!

I think your mother was right.
Your appearance tells others a lot about you, without you even speaking to them.
That said, I've always dressed/put myself together the way I do for me, because it makes me feel good.
Friends and, especially, family used to bellow at me, "WHY YOU ALL DRESSED UP? YOU TRYIN' TO GIT YOU A BAWFRIEND?"
They seemed to be unable to grasp the concept that I put myself together out of self-respect, not a desire to attract men.
I looked the same way even if I were going to be in a group that included women only.

martiangurll

Quote:
Originally Posted by na294
My mom always told me that you should always dress nice because you never know who you are going to run into that you'd like to make a nice impression on. This doesn't even have to be for a cute guy but even for a boss or someone important!

I agree.

Now what people really mean by the comment of you being "dressed up" is that they are insecure because they think you put more effort into your appearance than they did. Forget em! (Or just take it as a compliment and say, Thank you)

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by martiangurll

Now what people really mean by the comment of you being "dressed up" is that they are insecure because they think you put more effort into your appearance than they did. Forget em! (Or just take it as a compliment and say, Thank you)

I think this is right!
I have gradually come to the conclusion that when people make snarky comments to you about being "all dressed up," what they are feeling is, "I fear that you look better than I do; I feel threatened and inadequate."
Something else I have learned is that I am under no obligation to "dress down" to accommodate someone else's insecurity.
I don't want to let other people have that much control over my life.

Flaminbird

I used to hear that most of my life till I worked (as you know Carla)at this horrible job for 3 yrs.. 2006-2009 then I got laid off. In that place one lady had a different outfit almost every day for 3 yrs...EVERY SINGLE DAY! I think in all that time I saw her wear something twice 3 times....that's it!. Anyway she was always dressed to the nines....ie in always expensive clothes but always tiny earrings....again expensive ones and Channel barettes/hair clips! She had Louis Vitton purses, Coach Shoes, Coach purses etc. We didn't even work for a big company....jsut 25 people and we RARELY got any visitors! I couldnt compete with her because I didnt have the money that she had so I felt underdressed. I did see her closet once and it was an actual room! She had racks and racks of clothes still with tags! She'd go shopping every single weekend!

Now I work for FedEx so dressing up isnt an option but I've been told that I wear my makeup nicely which I do differently every day
greengrin.gif
. I do bold colors as well as neutrals ....just like I do all the time
greengrin.gif
. I will say I dont like wearing the uniform though and I think people might make fun of me in it
ssad.gif
. I have to wear ugly black "work shoes" and low socks.....blah. I feel so dumpy in it ....so far from what I'd like to wear.

Like others have said....its' not "dressed up" but more "put together
greengrin.gif

liibyz

Oh my, I hear this a lot. I heard it the most 2 years ago(when I was sixteen) & working for a breast cancer awareness place. Mind you, that there were no visitors expect the Boss' sister & the fedex lady. There were myself & 5 other ladies including the boss. The boss always looked great but, she was always in and out. The ladies & myself sat a computers all day & worked from desks. Always in the office. lol. The other ladies wore jammies & gym gear, no makeup, & hair in a ponytail. I just don't feel right if I don't get up and get dressed & put makeup on & what not. I didn't dress way fancy. Just jeans & a nice shirt or maybe a casual dress. When they would say something about the way I looked or something, it would just rub me the wrong way. Let's just say, I only worked there for about a year. lol. Guess I just didn't fit in. Oh well.

kaliraksha

As I've stopped caring about what others think of me as much... maybe something that comes with age or just maturity? I have started to not hold back... and I have a lot of fun with it. I totally feel like I dress for me... there is subtly in presentation and as long as it's authentic then I never feel bad for dressing however I interpreted the situation. I know a lot of people say that "we" dress for others... but with some of the kind of passive aggressive negative comments that I get... I kinda wish they'd say nothing at all most times.

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaminbird
Like others have said....its' not "dressed up" but more "put together
greengrin.gif

I think so, too.
I guess it's just an element of my personality, but, even when I'm dressed casually, I always like to add a little "something special" to my ensemble.
The "something special" might be cool earrings, a lacy cami, even a shimmery lip gloss.
To some people that's "dressing up," or even "showing off."

lightgreen22

I'm in high school, everyone wears basketball shorts and tees
I wear sundresses and ballet flats
my outfits are super casual
but everyone says I dress up
I really don't dress up

Adnegveill35

It depends on the situation. At school, it's hoodies and jeans (I'm a college student) But at night I usually go all out with hair, makeup, shoes, jewelry etc. That's the only time when I'm accused of 'overdoing it'. Sometimes I wish I could be like that all the time, but I just don't think it's in me lol

Meisje

I sure do. I don't really mind... I realize it probably makes some feel uncomfortable, but I see that as their issue.

Me, too. Anyone who negatively fusses about how nice you look is having an insecurity moment. Just recently, I had someone get really bent out of shape that I was going to an event where I was interacting with the public in a business nature and that I was nicely groomed and well dressed. They chose to wear sweats. Just before leaving, they started making snide comments to the other participants that at least THEY weren't worried about impressing people. Well, YEAH I was worried about impressing people --- I was there in a professional capacity.

That person is horribly insecure anyway. It was a bit of a chore constantly having them project their own negative feelings on me, so now I don't see them.

Latest posts