Armani Discussion

katred

Specktra Bestie
Aside from that price discussion, I have just checked Temptalia's swatches and they look nothing like the reality, especially 10, it looks so brown but it really isn't.
These little beauties are a real challenge to photograph. I spent twenty minutes trying to get decent picks of Rose Ashes and I'm still not happy with the results.

Started out basic... Swatched regularly/ blended

Leaned into the sunlight, which looked sort of weirdly flat

Tried to capture some of the nuance up close...

Got annoyed and did this...

laurennnxox

Very good points, ladies. @EllaS - You're absolutely right about the highlighter. I thought it was a mistake at first. On the other hand, $39cad (the price for the Eye Tints) is exactly the same price as the pressed powder shadows, which I think is why the Eye Tints didn't seem as shocking to me. It is expensive for a single shadow, it's just that I went through my sticker shock last year. So when I saw the Eye Tints, it was like "WOW! Brand new technology for the same price as the pressed shadows!" I'm not sure what the nail polishes retail for here, but I can tell you that the EtK pots have always been $42. So there's that too. Funny, I remember the first time they had one of the multilayer palettes here, I thought "There's no way I'm spending $95cad on one item." Then I was playing with one of them at the counter and saying that I wished it wasn't so expensive and my husband (The Great Enabler) responded "What do you mean? It's three eye shadows and a blush! That's not a bad deal at all." These little beauties are a real challenge to photograph. I spent twenty minutes trying to get decent picks of Rose Ashes and I'm still not happy with the results. Started out basic... Swatched regularly/ blended Leaned into the sunlight, which looked sort of weirdly flat Tried to capture some of the nuance up close... Got annoyed and did this...
:love: well you did a great job trying to catch the nuances in this shade... Because I totally need it!

beautyjunkie12

Here's a quick eye with #6 Green Iron. There are gold flecks in this one that become apparent when you blend. There's no sun here today so it's hard to capture it but I think you can tell it looks more gold and there's a bit of sparkle around my crease, in the corners of my eye and on the lower lashline. On the lid I just tapped it on with my finger and it stayed green. Have I mentioned how much I love these eye tints?
love.gif

It looks gorgeous on you!!! Now seeing this shade now I want it as well. I'm pretty impressed with this entire release. I have #10 and #7 thus far and waiting to receive #2 and #8.

beautyjunkie12

Temptalia has posted "sneak peek" (pre-review) swatches:

http://www.temptalia.com/sneak-peek-giorgio-armani-eye-tints-photos-swatches

The swatches are nice for showing the opacity level, but don't even come close to showing the complexity (I guess that will come in the individual reviews). The swatches do bear out something that I noticed in person (not sure if anyone else noticed this): the formula on #3 Jade doesn't look as good as the other shades.

I'm a little bummed to see how many of the comments on Temptalia's post are about the price of these products rather than whether they're good or not. Even more bummed that she seems to be encouraging that line of thought by saying that she often finds Armani overpriced, etc. I'm not arguing that $38usd isn't expensive for a single product- it clearly is- but that's not out of proportion with other brands like Guerlain, Tom Ford or Cle de Peau (who are even pricier). I suppose you could argue that the Armani eye tints are expensive by weight, because I don't know what product you could compare them to in another brand. But I think it's rare that people pay close attention to the amount of product contained in a package unless they really are trying to decide between extremely similar options. (I could be wrong about this, but off the top of my head if you asked me which brand gave me the most actual lipstick in an individual tube, I'd have no idea unless I checked. I also think that product quantity is relative to how often you have to touch up or reapply.)
rant.gif

Anyway, it seems like there are a lot of cosmetic products that fall into this price range, so I don't get why Armani gets labeled "overpriced".

It's happened. I've become enough of an Armani fan that I get protective when I see people criticizing them for reasons I think are unfair. I need help...
I completely agree with you! I know of a few lines that are far more pricier eyeshadow singles than GA and offer less product ounce to boot. I see these beauties as actually saving me a lil extra money because they don't require an eye primer (at least for me they don't). When I want to chat about high-end goodies I come here because anywhere else I get questioned as to why I like high-end and how in the world can I afford it...blah,blah,blah. And like you I'm very protective of my fave lines as well.

Winthrop44

Quote:
That would be great if you could do a comparison of Flannel and Rose Popillia. I'm curious to see how close they are!
Sadly I sent mine back unopened because propylene glycol is one of the first ingredients and that is something I am very sensitive to. Major bummer!

allthingsglam

Here's a quick eye with #6 Green Iron. There are gold flecks in this one that become apparent when you blend. There's no sun here today so it's hard to capture it but I think you can tell it looks more gold and there's a bit of sparkle around my crease, in the corners of my eye and on the lower lashline. On the lid I just tapped it on with my finger and it stayed green. Have I mentioned how much I love these eye tints? :love:  
Omgosh Ellas super stunning looks so beautiful with your beautiful eyes

allthingsglam

Very good points, ladies. @EllaS - You're absolutely right about the highlighter. I thought it was a mistake at first. On the other hand, $39cad (the price for the Eye Tints) is exactly the same price as the pressed powder shadows, which I think is why the Eye Tints didn't seem as shocking to me. It is expensive for a single shadow, it's just that I went through my sticker shock last year. So when I saw the Eye Tints, it was like "WOW! Brand new technology for the same price as the pressed shadows!" I'm not sure what the nail polishes retail for here, but I can tell you that the EtK pots have always been $42. So there's that too. Funny, I remember the first time they had one of the multilayer palettes here, I thought "There's no way I'm spending $95cad on one item." Then I was playing with one of them at the counter and saying that I wished it wasn't so expensive and my husband (The Great Enabler) responded "What do you mean? It's three eye shadows and a blush! That's not a bad deal at all." These little beauties are a real challenge to photograph. I spent twenty minutes trying to get decent picks of Rose Ashes and I'm still not happy with the results. Started out basic... Swatched regularly/ blended Leaned into the sunlight, which looked sort of weirdly flat Tried to capture some of the nuance up close... Got annoyed and did this...
love Thanks for swatches

EllaS

It looks gorgeous on you!!! Now seeing this shade now I want it as well. I'm pretty impressed with this entire release. I have #10 and #7 thus far and waiting to receive #2 and #8.

Quote: Originally Posted by allthingsglam

Omgosh Ellas super stunning looks so beautiful with your beautiful eyes
Aww thank you SO much ladies!
blush-anim-cl.gif
I know greens aren't everyone's cup of tea but if you're even remotely into them I think Green Iron is a great choice. @beautyjunkie12 I love your picks!! I'm sure you'll love 2 and 8 just as well. I have 2 but haven't played with it yet...and I've been itching to buy #11 and now that @katred has posted swatches she is tempting me to end my pathetically brief No Buy LOL.

EllaS

Very good points, ladies. @EllaS- You're absolutely right about the highlighter. I thought it was a mistake at first. On the other hand, $39cad (the price for the Eye Tints) is exactly the same price as the pressed powder shadows, which I think is why the Eye Tints didn't seem as shocking to me. It is expensive for a single shadow, it's just that I went through my sticker shock last year. So when I saw the Eye Tints, it was like "WOW! Brand new technology for the same price as the pressed shadows!" I'm not sure what the nail polishes retail for here, but I can tell you that the EtK pots have always been $42. So there's that too.

Funny, I remember the first time they had one of the multilayer palettes here, I thought "There's no way I'm spending $95cad on one item." Then I was playing with one of them at the counter and saying that I wished it wasn't so expensive and my husband (The Great Enabler) responded "What do you mean? It's three eye shadows and a blush! That's not a bad deal at all."

These little beauties are a real challenge to photograph. I spent twenty minutes trying to get decent picks of Rose Ashes and I'm still not happy with the results.

Started out basic... Swatched regularly/ blended

Leaned into the sunlight, which looked sort of weirdly flat

Tried to capture some of the nuance up close...

Got annoyed and did this...

Well for the record, I approve of your choice of husband. Clearly a smart man.
I still haven't bought one of those multilayer palettes. Imagine the swatches if I could find myself a Great Enabler too
girlhaha.gif

I guess the bottom line is pricing can be a bit wonky across many brands, and to single out GA makes no sense. Nobody can spoil my joy over these eye tints anyway. Unless they're not perm. THAT would spoil my joy.

And your swatches are fab and totally illustrate that what you say is true - these are slippery little suckers to photograph. They're so complex. Photographing them in a single lighting source from only one angle is never going to convey an accurate picture. And you almost need a blurry one to show the pretty sparkles. (Imagine the photographer of the Eye Tint ad campaign telling GA that.)

Anyway I'm totally catching the duochrome of #11 and now it's just a matter of which store I buy it from because it's in my cart at like 3 stores. *scurries off to check cash back rates*

EllaS

Quote:

Sadly I sent mine back unopened because propylene glycol is one of the first ingredients and that is something I am very sensitive to. Major bummer!
Oh no! And that ingredient is in like...everything! You must have a really hard time, poor thing. Such a bummer :-(

Shars

Aww thank you SO much ladies!
blush-anim-cl.gif
I know greens aren't everyone's cup of tea but if you're even remotely into them I think Green Iron is a great choice. @beautyjunkie12 I love your picks!! I'm sure you'll love 2 and 8 just as well. I have 2 but haven't played with it yet...and I've been itching to buy #11 and now that @katred has posted swatches she is tempting me to end my pathetically brief No Buy LOL.
I am HIGHLY into greens. Green is my favourite colour so I'll be blaming you for adding that to my list if that's okay lol.

EllaS

I never pay attention to half of those comments. Armani is a luxury, high-end item, you can't expect MAC prices. *smh*!
I am HIGHLY into greens. Green is my favourite colour so I'll be blaming you for adding that to my list if that's okay lol.
LOL I'll take the blame, yes! Glad I'm not the only one obsessed with greens!

Medgal07

Here's a quick eye with #6 Green Iron. There are gold flecks in this one that become apparent when you blend. There's no sun here today so it's hard to capture it but I think you can tell it looks more gold and there's a bit of sparkle around my crease, in the corners of my eye and on the lower lashline. On the lid I just tapped it on with my finger and it stayed green. Have I mentioned how much I love these eye tints?
love.gif

Beautiful Ella. I love green e/s! This is a must-have for me!! Thanks for showing it so well.

laurennnxox

402 was next on my list can't wait to hear what u think of it I love these so much I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up with all the colors
I wanted to get it from Saks because they ship much faster to Florida for free. :( But they were on backorder. So I went to Nordies. It won't be here for at least a week. That's forever to me! I am so impatient!

Latest posts