bad customer service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gisselle

yes another bad customer service post
well long story short, i received horrible treatment at a MAC store in Santa Barbara today. since the store has opened this year, it has been nothing but rude remarks, dirty looks, and being ignored. Today they went too far. They denied my purchase because i didnt have ID. YES I DID HAVE ID. i dont know if it was the color of my skin, what i look like, or that i had asked for a sample(they refused me a sample). I was buying a lot of items. I have good credit. The B***** seemed to have a attitude and treated me like S***. if you want to know the long story, i can send you a link to my LJ post where it went more into detail. Here i am angry, and i will do something about it.

i called many newspapers, professors, and anyone i know that can get my voice heard, to attempt to do something about horrible customer service. I think this has become my new paper topic. I would like to interview anyone willing to be interviewed for my paper/article/cause.

i dont think this is over reacting, if someone doesnt try, then nothing will change. i hope mac will do something about some of their ma's (not all, b/c some are great/amazing/sweet people) i am a loyal customer and so are all of you great girls. we love the makeup, but not the service? service is as important as the product itself, or at least should be. so please IM me or email with your stories, so we can chat. and yes i have worked in makeup retail before (not mac, but higher end makeup) and customer service should never be like this.

so if you relate to my experiences and how i am feeling, email me, IM me, i want my voice heard. and yes i left a message with MAC directly and will be calling the store manager tomorrow.

thanks girls

astronaut

Can you PM me the story? I'm curious as to know what happened. Were you trying to use cash to purchase all your items?

Tash

Sorry for your bad service. But just so you do know, when you use a credit card, you are supposed to have a valid State ID. It's the same way with buying alcohol. You can get a state ID for like $7 from your DMV. It's a safety precaution because of all the credit card fraud.

pumpkincat210

Yes, all of the places around here except for the grocery store make you show i.d. these days. Unfortunately credit card fraud caused them to do this.

Shimmer

I've had bad service from time to time, but the MAs are human too. Sometimes they have off days/bad days.

amoona

I read what you wrote on livejournal and I hope you don't take this person but I think you're really over reacting. If you speak to the manager they take that stuff very seriously, MAC doesn't play around when there's a customer complaint.

The whole sample thing ... i once bought $300 worth of stuff and then asked the MA for a few pigment samples and at first she told me no. Then I told her I've gotten them before so she gave them to me but when I was in the car and looked at them I swear there was no pigment in the jars. haha some people are just shady.

The credit card thing is something that bothers me. Sorry but I worked at a bank for 2 years and I had customers fight over showing their IDs ALL the time. And then when we had the other customers coming in who just had their bank accounts and credit cards hit it was amazing to us that anyone had a problem showing ID.

Now you say you had ID but even in your livejournal entry you didn't say why she denied the ID (unless I miss read it). If she didn't ring you up because your ID was expired, invalid, or there was no ID then you should actually be thanking her.

EDIT - Ok I just read your livejournal entry again and you say that you showed her school ID. To be honest hun I don't know any store/bank that will accept school ID. School IDs are only recognized on that school's campus. If you don't have a California state ID you should get one for your protection and make sure you make every cashier at every store check your ID before they swipe your credit card. It'll protect you from credit card fraud.

I've left my DL at home before and was denied being rung up at a store in the mall that I always go to, they know me by face but they don't know that I'm the same person on the credit card. I'm glad they didn't ring me up without an ID though.

Bernadette

iagree.gif
A school ID is not a valid form of ID. She was following the rules of her job by not ringing you up because of your lack of ID. Her being rude and making snotty comments is something that should be reported to her manager and adressed by her/him. Her not accepting your student ID for a credit card purchase was the correct thing for her to do. I'm quite confident that anyone that knows anything about credit/debit cards will tell you the same thing.
What specificly makes you believe that this situation had to do with the color of your skin?
It sounds to me that you just got a rude MA (which should absolutely be addressed by the company) but that her not selling to you was ultimately your own fault :shrug: .

Dark_Phoenix

I think you're overreacting a little.

Everytime I purchase something over $100 with a credit card at MAC they ask for an ID. It's not a big deal.

You probably just got a nasty MA, which happens more often then we'd all like (which would be never). I've had ones who give me the wrong color of a product and when I am sitting there, opening the box they just gave me in front of them they STILL think its what I asked for (like that c-thru is not the same color as russian red *sigh*). Er... anyways, have you tried going back on a different day? Or going with a friend to see if this happens to everyone who goes there?

Also, I highly suggest contacting MAC itself. I had a problem in MAC where I bought the aforementioned Russian Red believing it was C-Thru and the MA refused to take it back. A week after contacting them, they asked that I ship the color back and they would replace it with a color of my choice. They did. I got another C-Thru (what I wanted).

Why would you think it's racial discrimination?
MAC has customers of sooo many backgrounds (black, white, asian, middle eastern, gay, straight, etc.) that it would be really hard for them to discriminate because of the large, diverse customer base.

faifai

From what you're saying, I get 2 reactions immediately. The first is that your MA sounded unleasant as far as her attitude and tone went, but they are human. Having worked in makeup retail yourself, you should know that working in retail/service jobs can be SO demanding and frustrating. You don't know what else could have happened that day to cause her to act like that. It might've been someone just before you who ruined her day, and that trickled down to you.

Granted, she might just be a bitch in general, but giving her the benefit of the doubt (if this is an isolated incident with this particular MA) seems more appropriate to the situation than saying it must be the company itself. They're still a decent company with quality products, and it seems a little foolish to be selling off all your stuff because of a bad experience with one person. That'd be like having a bad experience at Barnes & Noble and reacting by saying that you vow to never read another book again. Who's benefiting from this? Neither of you.

My other reaction was that I think you're overreacting a little. Looking at the history of the company and its target audience, I highly doubt that your bad experience was based on your race (some people are just equal-opportunity asshats).

And as far as the credit card ID goes, a university ID is generally NOT a valid, accepted form of ID. Only if you needed to prove you were a student would it be acceptable, like at a movie theater. A driver's license is preferred because it has a signature and photo on it, is generally the most current form of ID someone has, and is issued by a state or federal agency. Credit card fraud is such a huge deal these days that you really can't be too careful, and I don't think it's fair to blame her for doing her job as far as the credit card was concerned. Her other behavior could've been in need of improvement, sure, but this was perfectly acceptable.

Dizzy

I just read through it, and I think you're overreacting. Everyone gets bad service sometime- you can't expect 100% awesome customer service every where you go, that's crazy. Plus it might have been a hectic day- weekends are crazy in any retail enviornment, and this just might have been one problem in many for the person. Should they have been rude? No, but it happens.

And using your university ID for a credit card sale should NEVER be accepted. Why? In your agreement with your CC company (which you should have recieved when you got your card in the mail), every one of the major companies require the person who has the card to have state or government issued ID (passport, liscence, state ID card, etc). In the agreement that the CC company has with the store, ALL of the major companies have specific rules to follow for the businesses to avoid fraud, theft, etc. They break those rules, and the company can pull their agreements, which causes problems for the business.

That employee was 100% right to deny your card. That could have been her job on the line, and her responsibility had you come back later complaining of theft, etc., as well as being a liability to the company. If you have a credit card it's your responsibility to know the rules of using it, and she's not forced to bend the rules for anyone, no matter how much the customer intends on buying.

Gisselle

Quote:
Originally Posted by faifai
From what you're saying, I get 2 reactions immediately. The first is that your MA sounded unleasant as far as her attitude and tone went, but they are human. Having worked in makeup retail yourself, you should know that working in retail/service jobs can be SO demanding and frustrating. You don't know what else could have happened that day to cause her to act like that. It might've been someone just before you who ruined her day, and that trickled down to you.

Granted, she might just be a bitch in general, but giving her the benefit of the doubt (if this is an isolated incident with this particular MA) seems more appropriate to the situation than saying it must be the company itself. They're still a decent company with quality products, and it seems a little foolish to be selling off all your stuff because of a bad experience with one person. That'd be like having a bad experience at Barnes & Noble and reacting by saying that you vow to never read another book again. Who's benefiting from this? Neither of you.

My other reaction was that I think you're overreacting a little. Looking at the history of the company and its target audience, I highly doubt that your bad experience was based on your race (some people are just equal-opportunity asshats).

And as far as the credit card ID goes, a university ID is generally NOT a valid, accepted form of ID. Only if you needed to prove you were a student would it be acceptable, like at a movie theater. A driver's license is preferred because it has a signature and photo on it, is generally the most current form of ID someone has, and is issued by a state or federal agency. Credit card fraud is such a huge deal these days that you really can't be too careful, and I don't think it's fair to blame her for doing her job as far as the credit card was concerned. Her other behavior could've been in need of improvement, sure, but this was perfectly acceptable.

As for the bad treatment, this was not a one time thing. That person has been rude to me every single time i have come near her. i dont know why but she doesnt seem to like people very much. I know everyone has a bad day, but every single day? Also when i worked in makeup, when a girl was having a "bad day" they always gave her the choice of going home or was sent home, i have seen that happen. and yes the job is demanding, but its not like a hospital, they arent saving a person's life. It is "just makeup," and i wish i had a hidden camera to show how i was mistreated because it was unjust.

As for the CC, I dont think it was about the actual CC. I didnt have time to type the whole story out, but i asked for my items to be held until i could return with my STATE ID. she told me she wanted to a Drivers License, I told her i didnt have one. She also refused to hold my items, i asked another MA to and she did before i left. I live in Sb, and no one has ever asked for ID all my life. maybe once, if that. I dunno if its b.c its a rich town or what. but this MA, has something against me. maybe because i never buy from her b.c she is a bitch? who knows. last time i was there, i didnt let her help me and got ALOT of stuff from someone else. i really dont know what that person was thinking but i felt targeted and im not going that them get away with that. I dont think im overreacting, but you can think what you want.

Gisselle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma_Frost
I think you're overreacting a little.

Everytime I purchase something over $100 with a credit card at MAC they ask for an ID. It's not a big deal.

You probably just got a nasty MA, which happens more often then we'd all like (which would be never). I've had ones who give me the wrong color of a product and when I am sitting there, opening the box they just gave me in front of them they STILL think its what I asked for (like that c-thru is not the same color as russian red *sigh*). Er... anyways, have you tried going back on a different day? Or going with a friend to see if this happens to everyone who goes there?

Also, I highly suggest contacting MAC itself. I had a problem in MAC where I bought the aforementioned Russian Red believing it was C-Thru and the MA refused to take it back. A week after contacting them, they asked that I ship the color back and they would replace it with a color of my choice. They did. I got another C-Thru (what I wanted).

Why would you think it's racial discrimination?
MAC has customers of sooo many backgrounds (black, white, asian, middle eastern, gay, straight, etc.) that it would be really hard for them to discriminate because of the large, diverse customer base.

Yes i know they do, but not in this store. In this store it is all "cookie cutter" type girls. no one there speaks spanish. and everytime i go there, no helps me or anyone else of color. one time i went with a friend who wasnt of color and everyone helped her and not me. every though she didnt want to buy anything and was just keeping me company. I have been a loyal mac customer for over 5 years, more than some of you. Even was i was a kid, i was treated nicely at other locations. But this fucking location. god. no. i wont let them get away with it.

Shimmer

You do realize that coming across as rational, intelligent, and articulate will get you farther than coming across as irrational, over reactive, and melodramatic, right?

Gisselle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
You do realize that coming across as rational, intelligent, and articulate will get you farther than coming across as irrational, over reactive, and melodramatic, right?

LOL yes i have two degrees which is why i didnt rant to the store manager yesterday. i waited until i was today and calm. I am loyal customer and i think that every person should get respect and a smile. I got neither more than once, more than twice, actually every time ive been there except once and i did write to mac giving great feedback about the Ma who actually helped me. Mac may have good products, but some of the customer service is horrible. i dont wish to pay a lot of money to get verbally abused. i used to LOVE mac and their customer service. and to be targeted, ignored, and treated like this? Isn't right. I was there and i probably didnt explain in detail what happened, and what has happened other times, but i was venting. i thought someone here would understand, but i guess that. and thats fine. but my venting was just to tell anyone know why i was selling my entire collection. I probably still will do that. And those words you used to describe me ( irrational, over reactive, and melodramatic) are the same words that men use to oppress women. Some people may say that it is irrational to spend so much money on makeup. Or overreacting when items sell out so quickly. But i can see why do many people i know dont work for mac anymore or stop buying their products.

astronaut

I used to work at Macy's so I know a little about retail. Technically, a legal ID is one issued by the government and I think what the MA meant by a driver's license is one that was issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. A state ID (which you get at the DMV) looks almost exactly the same as a driver's license minus some minor details. I remember during my freshman year and such in high school some kids would flash their state IDs and we would all go "No you didn't get your driver's license! No way! Let me see it!" and then find out it was only a state ID lol. I mean, about the MA saying that they only take driver's license, the MA might have not known what a state ID even is because for me, if I didn't have a bunch of kids flashing their State IDs when I was younger, I would have never known about it!

Anyway, so a university ID wouldn't be good enough. If someone bought like maybe $15 worth of stuff, I'd probably let a university ID slide. But then again I've never had anyone attempt to use anything but a Driver's license, state ID, and a military ID once I think. I can't say I've checked a state ID for sure though since they look so much alike compared to a driver's license, I probably never even noticed. I would check ID for everything that wasn't cash; credit cards, macy's cards, checks, even debit cards. I remember some customers would get prissy because normally you don't check debit cards because of the pin but there were cases where people have had their pin numbers stolen from gas pumps etc. so I wanted to be extra careful and the managers agreed with me to check ID for everything except for cash. I actually appreciate it when I get asked for my ID and feel unsafe when someone doesn't. I make sure that I even write CHECK ID on the back of all my cards. I think I need to get a new ID soon because my driver's license photo is when I was 15 so I look completely different than I do now even though I'm 17 now. It gets a little embarrassing when an employee just stands there and stares at my photo and me for a long time lol, but I understand.

What really stuck out to me when reading what you wrote was that you stated that you bought hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. And that's a lot of money so therefore people are going to get suspicious since credit card theft is such a huge issue. When you're buying that much and using a credit card in which you don't have legal ID, that's going to raise a few flags. They're just trying to protect your identity so I think you're overreacting on that area. As far as not giving you samples and giving you an attitude, I don't know about that.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisselle
And those words you used to describe me ( irrational, over reactive, and melodramatic) are the same words that men use to oppress women. Some people may say that it is irrational to spend so much money on makeup. Or overreacting when items sell out so quickly. But i can see why do many people i know dont work for mac anymore or stop buying their products.

I have to disagree.
It's not oppressive to say "Hey, you may want to take a few days to cool off, and really think about the situation, because right now, you're coming off as pretty irrational, and more than a little melodramatic. Take a day or two and think about it."

Are those tools to use for oppression? ANYTHING is a tool for oppression. Any action you take can be construed in an oppressive light, so this argument is rather moot.

Dizzy

Quote:
but this MA, has something against me. maybe because i never buy from her b.c she is a bitch?

Quote:
i dont wish to pay a lot of money to get verbally abused

I don't think you mentioned any where in the post explaining where you were "verbally abused". From what I gather, you felt ignored and she told you "no" to getting a sample. It's not good for business to ignore customers, but was she the ONLY MA there? Or do you just feel slighted by her for some reason?

Also, you can complain all you want to the company, but the associate has a right to refuse service for ANY reason. I work retail, and have done so for the past 5 years- I can't tell you the number of people I've refused service and asked to leave my store(s) before. Going to the newspapers, media outlets, etc. isn't going to get you anywhere since the MA didn't actually do anything wrong. You might feel slighted, and it's certainly bad business, but really it's not a huge issue.

bAbY_cHiCkEn01

Maybe you've actually done something to her that you haven't realised. I know with one of the customers that came in where I worked (and I know this is wrong) but he actually was kinda sleazy and freaked me out and I didn't like it/him so I just gave him not so great service (I'm talking no conversation back, not so much rude, just unresponsive) until one day he had the biggest go at me, screaming at my manager saying how much I hated him etc etc... Thats pretty drastic, but maybe you've actually done something to get such a unwarm reception from her... Don't always blame the MA...

*Stargazer*

Here's a fun little tidbit for you.

It is against VISA and MC policy for merchants to require ID for credit card purchases. A signature match from the back panel to the receipt is all that is required per VISA/MC merchant agreement.

Quote:
Although Visa Rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID. Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures.

http://merchants.visa.com/accepting/...Guidelines.pdf

Companies are routinely sanctioned by VISA/MC when they are reported for violation of their merchant agreements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts