Biggest Makeup Crimes committed by Women of Color

L281173

What do you think are some of the biggest makeup violations often committed by women of Color when wearing makeup.
cheerleader.gif
lmao.gif
weeping.gif
rofl.gif

claresauntie

BLACK EYELINER AS A LIPLINER! That's the number one.
Two: A light shadow in a obvious line as "highlight" under the brow. Blend, gals, blend!
Three: not using enough color. (Example: there are other lip products besides Oh Baby! and Sinnamon))
Four: Honestly, I'm a little alarmed at how a percentage of women of color find it necessary to match their eye shadows to their outfits, regardless of whether or not it is flattering (as in the woman who wanted me to use a kelly green and hot pink combo on her eyes because that's what her shirt and shoes looked like).

L281173

Quote:
Originally Posted by claresauntie
Two: A light shadow in a obvious line as "highlight" under the brow. Blend, gals, blend!
Three: not using enough color. (Example: there are other lip products besides Oh Baby! and Sinnamon))
Four: Honestly, I'm a little alarmed at how a percentage of women of color find it necessary to match their eye shadows to their outfits, regardless of whether or not it is flattering (as in the woman who wanted me to use a kelly green and hot pink combo on her eyes because that's what her shirt and shoes looked like).

I used black for club looks not for every day. I notice that many women of color like to stick to one family of colors. I like to diversify.

Macnarsandlove

5. the one white line of white shimmery liner.
4. once again the wet and wild blk eyeliner as a lipliner
3. too pale/yellow/orange foundation
2. not going outside the neutral sandy gold brown range in everything
1. the fucshia iridescent purplish lipstick
and those are my pet peeves

claresauntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith130
3. too pale/yellow/orange foundation

This is partially the fault of makeup companies or makeup artists!

NaturalSister19

Quote:

All of these!!!^^^^^

And to expand on #2, that same white line just above the upper lash line.
th_remoteImage-61.gif

I truly hate to see sssooooooo many of us with a bunch of gold, bronze, or copper frost e/s - it's just too much frost in many colors with no attention to demension or shading.
puke.gif

MisStarrlight

OMG, I once had a woman line her lips w/ black pencil and then put Morange or CB96 or some other insanely bright orange lipstick ONLY ON HER BOTTOM LIP! She said it made her lips look smaller...
hmm.gif
WTF?!?!
hmm.gif

And while we're on the subject of creating smaller lips...women who line waaaay on the inside of their lips, it's like the lipliner is supposed to go on your lip linem not halfway on your lips.

But yeah, I agree with everything else said too (especially that frosty bronzy tone everywhere)

lipshock

I don't know if this could necessarily be labeled as a "crime" but the fact that many women of colour never want to branch outside of the frosty bronzes, frosty golds, frosty brown colour range. I personally believe the beautiful bright eyeshadows were made for us because they pop against the darkness of our complexions. But that's just me.

I understand that bright colours can be truly intimidating but experimentation is the key. We can work any colour truthfully!
smiles.gif

NaturalSister19

Yes Yes Yes LipShock!!!!!!!

No better display of this than in IMAN's 'The Beauty of Color' book.
THE most beautiful collection of images of colorful make-up on women of color that I have EVER seen.

The MU work in this book as astounding!!! If you all haven't seen it yet, you must right away.

Same Fine, Jay Manuel, JJ, Byron Barnes, Fran Cooper, Romy Solieman, Charlie Green, Ashunta Sheriff, Lazarus Jean-Baptiste & Stephen Demmick amongst a few others were TRULY working for this project.

Simply amazing!

j_absinthe

The white/silver hard line on the upper lashline. Tacky to no end.

Matching their eye shades to their outfit. Sometimes a lime green tracksuit doesn't go with lime green eyeshadow.

Using too light or too dark lipstick and/or blush.

Another point, not necessarily a crime because not everyone can do makeup, but getting the wrong color foundation. Too often I know ladies who get one shade and use it through out the year, without acknowleding the fact that with the seasons come changes in tone.

faifai

Intentionally wearing a foundation that's too light to "look lighter/fairer." My mother does this and I can never convince her that it looks hilariously bad.

S.S.BlackOrchid

Unblended lipliner, using foundation that's too light, using pinky foundation/powder with yellow undertones and vice versa, whitish silver eye shadow+lipstick look

spectrolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by faifai
Intentionally wearing a foundation that's too light to "look lighter/fairer." My mother does this and I can never convince her that it looks hilariously bad.

Yes I HATE when people insist on doing that. Thank you for mentioning it. My only other peeve is eyebrows drawn in with black eyeliner. Looks bad. Really bad. Like a mime!

Twinkle_Twinkle

Where do I begin:
- Foudation that is too light
- Corrective makeup that is applied incorrectly
- Too much blush applied incorrectly
- Too thin of eyebrows, or eyebrows drawn on too heavy (and in black)
- Cheap, cracking, and bleeding fuschia or red lipstick without a liner
- One thickly drawn line of some type of cheap whitish/metalic colored eyeliner
- Black lip liner (or eye liner used as lip liner) and clear gloss, although I don't see that as much these days.

Quote:

Ok you are speaking the truth on so many levels. How many times have I been in MAC and seen a MA try a nice lip or eye shadow combo on a black customer and she complains that it is too bright???? Countless. Step away from the Chestnut lip liner, put down Oh Baby slowly, drop the Teddy Eye Khol and put the Bronze eye shadow where I can see it. There are other colors out there! In fact, I think Women of Color look the best it brighter, bolder colors.

aziajs

THE WHITE EYELINER ON THE UPPER LASH LINE!!! I have a friend that does this and I just want to blend it out and add some color. It is my NUMBER 1 pet peeve.

LMAO....ok, so as I type this I am wearing Pinked Mauve pigment on my lips with currant & nightmoth lipliner. LOL. I just put it on to see what it looks like and I kinda like it but I know it doesn't look right. I was just laughing to myself about it before I logged on. I don't know what it is about purple lipcolor but I can't stop myself. I love it. I do have to say, however, that I never wear it outside of the house.

claresauntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle_Twinkle
Step away from the Chestnut lip liner, put down Oh Baby slowly, drop the Teddy Eye Khol and put the Bronze eye shadow where I can see it.

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Hey, here in Richmond they must not be too into the white/silver liner on the lashline, 'cause I'm at the counter 40 hours a week and have never seen that. (Whew! Though with my luck they're just behind the times, here, and it will catch on like wildfire in a year or so...) But I do see tons of the really bright metallic or chalky strip of unblended "highlight" under the brow here. Sounds equally horrid.

I must say, though, many of my customers are THRILLED when someone properly matches them with foundation and are open to tips about blending eye makeup and such. I just wish they'd let the Oh Baby! and Woodwinked (and Chestnut) go for a little while.
smiles.gif

AppleDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalSister19
All of these!!!^^^^^

And to expand on #2, that same white line just above the upper lash line.
th_remoteImage-61.gif

I truly hate to see sssooooooo many of us with a bunch of gold, bronze, or copper frost e/s - it's just too much frost in many colors with no attention to demension or shading.

Yeah a family member of mine loves to wear gold e/s. I told her to not fear other colors, but she does, so I do not know how to talk her out of that. When I wear color, she does not get it until some white woman compliments me on my e/s choices.

I started off with bronzes, golds and taupe for a month, but I quickly moved on to greens, purples, blues, teals. Yay, I am glad I did not get stuck in fear.

Thanks for mentioning not blending in highlighter. A cashier @ my local Kroger's does not and it drives me nuts. It looks like she used a white piece of chalk...
th_dunno.gif
Not sure what the problem is.

MACa6325xi

Let me think now. Here's my list:

1. Not taking care of the skin underneath all that makeup we buy. I don't want to hate because I love my sisters, but some of us need some skincare.
2. Too dark lipliner and lipstick.
3. No eyebrows. I always wonder why my Aunt has no eyebrows, but she uses a pencil to draw them in. lol
4. Foundation not matching undertones of the skin.
5. Facial hair. I can't stand to see a lady with a full mustache. lol
cutey.gif
clap.gif
lmao.gif

faifai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACa6325xi
cutey.gif
clap.gif
lmao.gif

I can't believe I forgot that one! Hahaha. People with darker skintones generally have dark facial/body hair to match...just because you have dark skin doesn't mean we can't see your 'stache or that it just "blends in" hahaha.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACa6325xi
Let me think now. Here's my list:

1. Not taking care of the skin underneath all that makeup we buy. I don't want to hate because I love my sisters, but some of us need some skincare.
2. Too dark lipliner and lipstick.
3. No eyebrows. I always wonder why my Aunt has no eyebrows, but she uses a pencil to draw them in. lol
4. Foundation not matching undertones of the skin.
cutey.gif
clap.gif
lmao.gif

You ain't never lied. I have a friend, who used to take her makeup off with a old sock and Vaseline. Me and another friend were like whhhaaaatt????? The second friend and I are fiends about face care and friend number one, mentioned our skin one day and how she has such problems with evenness and dryness. We asked do you exfoliate? No. Use toner? No. Face masks? No. Well what are you moisturizing with, and she said Vaseline! I nearly passed out! Well we got her on an Origins regimine, and she has seen an improvement. She still has that unblended highlight though, my my my. Baby steps I guess.