Biggest Makeup Crimes committed by Women of Color

Bronxcutie

I thought the black lipliner and silver/white eyeliner was only a NYC thing! LOL

I actually like my eye color to compliment what I'm wearing. It doesn't have to match, but I LOVE color!

Too many women of color have pencil-thin brows. I don't know when this became "cute."

I think "Chestnut" is a MUST for all women, lol

The dark brown lipstick and the fuschia lipstick MUST GO! I blame my girl Foxy Brown for these trends!

mommymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by claresauntie
BLACK EYELINER AS A LIPLINER! That's the number one.
Two: A light shadow in a obvious line as "highlight" under the brow. Blend, gals, blend!
Three: not using enough color. (Example: there are other lip products besides Oh Baby! and Sinnamon))
Four: Honestly, I'm a little alarmed at how a percentage of women of color find it necessary to match their eye shadows to their outfits, regardless of whether or not it is flattering (as in the woman who wanted me to use a kelly green and hot pink combo on her eyes because that's what her shirt and shoes looked like).

I agree I hate to see women use lipliner that is 6 shades darker then their lipstick.

MiCHiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle_Twinkle
Where do I begin:
- Black lip liner (or eye liner used as lip liner) and clear gloss, although I don't see that as much these days.

Yeah, 'cause you did not go out with me on Saturday night. My best friend did this and I was horrified for the entire night.

L281173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxcutie
I thought the black lipliner and silver/white eyeliner was only a NYC thing! LOL

I actually like my eye color to compliment what I'm wearing. It doesn't have to match, but I LOVE color!

Too many women of color have pencil-thin brows. I don't know when this became "cute."

The dark brown lipstick and the fuschia lipstick MUST GO! I blame my girl Foxy Brown for these trends!

You're right about Foxy Brown
cheerleader.gif
clap.gif
weeping.gif
rofl.gif
lmao.gif

L281173

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymac
I agree I hate to see women use lipliner that is 6 shades darker then their lipstick.

That is a practice for a club look.
cutey.gif
clap.gif

L281173

Ok you are speaking the truth on so many levels. How many times have I been in MAC and seen a MA try a nice lip or eye shadow combo on a black customer and she complains that it is too bright???? Countless. Step away from the Chestnut lip liner, put down Oh Baby slowly, drop the Teddy Eye Khol and put the Bronze eye shadow where I can see it. There are other colors out there! In fact, I think Women of Color look the best it brighter, bolder colors.[/quote]

Cosign.
lmao.gif
wavey.gif
rofl.gif
lol.gif
thmbup.gif

Beauty Mark

Besides what was already listed:

-Neglecting SPF. Your skin might be dark but still, you need sunscreen. Even if you're of medium skin tone, use fake tanner if you want to be darker
-Fear of makeup. Some of it is a pain to find good colors, but there is enough makeup for one to be able to find a few shades of eyeshadow and lipstick
-"Nude lipstick" that isn't nude on you. What works for a paler person looks like death or white lipstick on a lot of slightly darker to dark women.

MAChostage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxcutie

AMEN!
rofl.gif

AppleDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACa6325xi
Let me think now. Here's my list:

1. Not taking care of the skin underneath all that makeup we buy. I don't want to hate because I love my sisters, but some of us need some skincare.
2. Too dark lipliner and lipstick.
3. No eyebrows. I always wonder why my Aunt has no eyebrows, but she uses a pencil to draw them in. lol
4. Foundation not matching undertones of the skin.
5. Facial hair. I can't stand to see a lady with a full mustache. lol
cutey.gif
clap.gif
lmao.gif

Girllll, one of my friends' friend has a mustache and I wish someone would tell her.
hmm.gif
The 'stache makes her look older and she is a tad bit younger than me.

QTAllStarGurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark

-"Nude lipstick" that isn't nude on you. What works for a paler person looks like death or white lipstick on a lot of slightly darker to dark women.

OMG YESSSS
clap.gif
I saw this the other day when i went to the bss on some girl nd her mu could have been cute but she must have gone temporarily blind when she put that l/s on....i think i actually threw up in my mouth a little
weeping.gif

frocher

Black lipstick, my friend's mother wears black lipstick an it makes her look dead. There are plenty of pics of her in their house, of when she was younger, where her lips are a beautiful burgundy or red. It looked so much better on her.

TangoMango

This isn't general, but it's so horrifying that I have to post it.

My friend wears false lashes everyday and one day, she ran out of liquid eyeliner that she uses to cover the glue. So what does she do? She uses GOLD eyeshadow to 'cover' it, but it looked like a big clumpy mess! I said to her, 'I'm only telling you this because you're my friend. What is up with the powder and eyelash glue? That is not a good look.' So she agreed it was foolish and I used black eye kohl to cover it up and it looked 1000 times better.

WTF was she thinking?!

faifai

Quote:
"Nude lipstick" that isn't nude on you. What works for a paler person looks like death or white lipstick on a lot of slightly darker to dark women.

YES! Regardless of skin color, "nude" needs to match your skintone, not someone who's NC15. What works as a nude lipcolor on MissChievous is probably not going to work the same way on me. That's why it's hard to claim any one product is a "universal" nude lipcolor. I commented on someone's FOTD about this, but I didn't know how to quite say it without appearing rude - I think she took it the wrong way anyway.
hmm.gif

Juneplum

Quote:
Besides what was already listed:

-Neglecting SPF. Your skin might be dark but still, you need sunscreen. Even if you're of medium skin tone, use fake tanner if you want to be darker
-Fear of makeup. Some of it is a pain to find good colors, but there is enough makeup for one to be able to find a few shades of eyeshadow and lipstick

so true!!

lipshock

Quote:
"Nude lipstick" that isn't nude on you. What works for a paler person looks like death or white lipstick on a lot of slightly darker to dark women.

So, so, so true.

Sometimes it looks like they just put straight up milk or condensed milk on their lips and I am just like "wha? wha? wha?! you look like you just ate a creamsicle and NONE of it went in your mouth but ALL on your lips."

Milky is just not a good look on anyone, women of colour or our fair-skinned ladies. A lot of tanned-to-death girls do this as well . . they can't put away the C-THRU lipglass (though with a light hand and the right colour combinations it does look good).

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipshock
A lot of tanned-to-death girls do this as well . . they can't put away the C-THRU lipglass (though with a light hand and the right colour combinations it does look good).

Elaborate, please. A MA convinced me to buy c-thru and I went ahead and did it alhough I thought it was too light. She said applied with a light hand and cork liner. It looked ok but I still wasn't convinced but thought that when I got it home I could work with it. Well, I couldn't really get the effect I wanted as a result I never really wear it. How can women of color pull off this color? I think if someone wanted to go that nudey route with a mily color Florabundance would be better just because it isn't a cream color, it has more of pink or peach tone.

faifai

aziajs, I think C-Thru would be lovely at toning down other colors that are too dark or adding more creamy glossiness to lipcolors that are creme or matte.

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
Elaborate, please. A MA convinced me to buy c-thru and I went ahead and did it alhough I thought it was too light. She said applied with a light hand and cork liner. It looked ok but I still wasn't convinced but thought that when I got it home I could work with it. Well, I couldn't really get the effect I wanted as a result I never really wear it. How can women of color pull off this color? I think if someone wanted to go that nudey route with a mily color Florabundance would be better just because it isn't a cream color, it has more of pink or peach tone.

Alright, I am going to be honest with you on this one: I personally HATE C-Thru lipglass because it is just so creamy and milky on ME. I never left the house wearing it.

I agree with you that with us it is better to use a nude colour with peach, coral, or pinkish undertones than something so creamy and white. I have yet to find my holy grail nude shade but right now I am very content with Viva Glam V lipstick -- as it is nude on me but doesn't wash me out and make me look like death.

As far as suggestions on wearing C-Thru, you might have to ask someone else . . because seriously, I don't have a clue. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. I just gave up and B2M'ed that badboy.
greengrin.gif

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by faifai
aziajs, I think C-Thru would be lovely at toning down other colors that are too dark or adding more creamy glossiness to lipcolors that are creme or matte.

Oh, faifai, that is an awesome suggestion!

It kind of makes me want to try C-Thru lipglass again. But, eh, I'm on the fence. I have yet to see someone of my skin tone pull it off to the point of where I'm wowed and like "must try that!"

Beauty Mark

I like the suggestion of toning down other colors. When I buy a lipcolor that is too pale or not quite right for me, I often try to wear it with something else. I've had some cool results.