Biggest Makeup Crimes committed by Women of Color

Twinkle_Twinkle

I was depotting eyeshadows last night and had Larry King on for company. I look up and there is Judge Hatchett talking about Nicole Richie and the woman was wearing this loud, sky blue eye shadow going from lashline to darn near her eyebrow. It was terrible.

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LipstickLez
Bad color contacts: I wear hazel myself, but only because I tried it once on whim and felt it gave a little life to my face. But frankly, anything beyond that looks overly phony to me for most complex. And it's hard to take a person seriously when they've got ridiculous green contacts.

*Sigh* Ok. Thank you for adding this. This is a serious pet peeve of mine but I didn't want to mention it since I know we have several women of color on here who wear them.

Lose the color contacts.

Most people can't pull of color contacts because they look fake. Everytime I see it I just want women to embrace their natural eye color and leave the contacts alone. In most cases, the women look much better without them. Although it is possible for you to be as dark as my black keyboard and have sky blue eyes, it's not probable.

So in conclusion, all of my asian, southeast asian, middle eastern, african, east indian, african american, latina, and pacific island women - my fabulous and magnificent women of color - just take them out of your eyes, put them in their cases and walk away.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
*Sigh* Ok. Thank you for adding this. This is a serious pet peeve of mine but I didn't want to mention it since I know we have several women of color on here who wear them.

Lose the color contacts.

Most people can't pull of color contacts because they look fake. Everytime I see it I just want women to embrace their natural eye color and leave the contacts alone. In most cases, the women look much better without them. Although it is possible for you to be as dark as my black keyboard and have sky blue eyes, it's not probable.

So in conclusion, all of my asian, southeast asian, middle eastern, african, east indian, african american, latina, and pacific island women - my fabulous and magnificent women of color - just take them out of your eyes, put them in their cases and walk away.

I concur. You can nearly always tell when they are fake. They don't look natural, especially on dark colored eyes. Unless you are trying to go for a less than natural look (feathered falsies, long weaves or bright wigs) I think most people, no correction, all people, look better without them. Just a personal opinion here.

NaturalSister19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle_Twinkle
I concur. You can nearly always tell when they are fake. They don't look natural, especially on dark colored eyes. Unless you are trying to go for a less than natural look (feathered falsies, long weaves or bright wigs) I think most people, no correction, all people, look better without them. Just a personal opinion here.

Yes. Better without them.

Nelly711

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs

Lose the color contacts.

Girl, I couldn't agree more.

Amber-126

I'm Kerry Washington's complexion and I use NARS' Lip Stain in "Pampa" (yes, I know it's a nutmeg shade.) It works well on me for a nude lip although it may be too frosty for those darker than me.

MisStarrlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by captodometer

6)inches long fake nails with airbrushed picture or decals

OMG, I saw a woman last night at a restaurant. Her nails must have been like 5 inches long....kinda made me want to throw up a bit
puke.gif

LaChinita

Quote:
Originally Posted by faifai
Intentionally wearing a foundation that's too light to "look lighter/fairer." My mother does this and I can never convince her that it looks hilariously bad.

I agree!!! I know so many women (my mom too LOL) who do this, and I just hate to have to be the one to tell them that number one, it doesn't work because u can't alter ur skin color, and number two, it makes the skin look dead, and number three, it makes u look like ur wearing way too much makeup when u might be wearing the same amount as a woman has the right color foundation.

I also agree that on some level this is the fault of makeup companies for not having enough selections for women of color, but if someone's intentionally picking lighter foundation too look lighter, that's just not right.

greatscott2000

Crime? I would have to say the frosty white lipsticks I see people wear over the dark lip liner. It reminds me of Dave Chapelle as Tyrone Biggums

MAC_Pixie04

1. Too white and too frosty of a browbone color
2. Too white and too MATTE of a browbone color (Gesso is NOT for us ladies, step off)
3. Dark dark brown lipliner with everything
4. Frosty light lipstick, specifically on those of us with two-toned lips
5. Fear of color! Step away from the browns and golds!
6. Settling for the closest foundation color instead of the one that's the right color. This is a complexion crime, and I don't hold the consumers accountable for it, especially in my store where the brands either don't make a color that would suit a deeper skinned client, or we simply don't carry the full shade range. We recently did a retro fit in my store and cut a lot of colors in a lot of good brands which really pissed me off.

NaturalSister19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
1. Too white and too frosty of a browbone color
2. Too white and too MATTE of a browbone color (Gesso is NOT for us ladies, step off)
3. Dark dark brown lipliner with everything
4. Frosty light lipstick, specifically on those of us with two-toned lips
5. Fear of color! Step away from the browns and golds!
6. Settling for the closest foundation color instead of the one that's the right color. This is a complexion crime, and I don't hold the consumers accountable for it, especially in my store where the brands either don't make a color that would suit a deeper skinned client, or we simply don't carry the full shade range. We recently did a retro fit in my store and cut a lot of colors in a lot of good brands which really pissed me off.

I'm N9 and I wear Gesso as a lid color and a brow bone highlight. It's all about blending.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalSister19
I'm N9 and I wear Gesso as a lid color and a brow bone highlight. It's all about blending.

And I plan to get Gesso and another white shadow to use for a mod eye. But I know what you mean, that one unblended strip of a highlight is terrible to see.

claresauntie

I finally have started seeing the white liner on dark complected women. I'm sorry.... that's not cute.

I had a really beautiful young woman (27 or 28-ish) at the counter on Sunday and she brought her grandmother in to get new makeup. She was "tsk-tsk-ing" her grandmothers choice of Fashion Fair foundation, which wasn't too bad (it was the right shade, but she was really shiny and of course her makeup came off on her clothes!). But the whole time this girl is making faces and nodding and acting a touch superior (but in a loving way) I was thinking "Girl, sit your ass down and let me take that daggone white crap off of your eyes!".

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle_Twinkle
Please don't use Vaseline on your face, ever. Petroleum jelly (and mineral oil) are extremely pore clogging. I don't use any product with either of them (hair, body, face, or lips). If you face is dry in the winter try either shea butter, or (and I make this for myself and my friend who loves it) take a glass vial and fill it with an ounce of grape seed or sweet almond oil (both absorb into the skin nicely) and add a few drops of your favorite essential oils (like tea tree, bergamont, lavender, etc.).

Not everyone has problems using petroleum jelly or mineral oil based products. A good example of this is the Nivea cream that many people swear by as a night creme. Others use Vaseline (or just petroleum jelly) because it seals a temporary barrier on the skin that allows the body's own oils and moisture to stay right there rather than evaporating or being easily rubbed away. Personally, Nivea creme (it has a mineral oil base) is one of the only products my skin has not rejected, and I have extremely soft and clear skin as a result. For people that have dry and sensitive skin, shea butter isn't always the best. I found it never sank in properly and instead just sat in a thin layer on my face and body that eventually irritated my skin and clogged pores. Obviously, this hasn't happened to you. I found the same reactions when I tried vegetable oils - coconut oil and almond oil were particularly vicious on my skin and caused little rashes because they weren't easily washed away with gentle soap after a day. Simple rinses with pure honey works on my face, but there are some that say it does nothing for them. The smells of essential oils tend to nauseate me or give me vicious headaches, while others swear by them. I just think we should be more careful about proclaiming and foreswearing products and brands and remember that we are providing anecdotal knowledge at best, unless we're chemists working in the industry...

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
1. Too white and too frosty of a browbone color.

I agree with a browbone highlighter that is too frosty because it is really distracting but I've seen a lot of darker skinned women with a matte, white (or white-ish) browbone highlighter and it looks gorgeous. In fact, I was planning on getting Gesso e/s after reading a recommendation by NaturalSister on here.

I believe it's all about the blending.

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LipstickLez
-Bad color contacts: I wear hazel myself, but only because I tried it once on whim and felt it gave a little life to my face. But frankly, anything beyond that looks overly phony to me for most complex. And it's hard to take a person seriously when they've got ridiculous green contacts.

I really just don't see what the big "fuss" or hub-bub is over when girls, of any skin colour, wear them. And I am not just saying that because I wear them myself. Even if I didn't wear them, I don't think I would be the least bit bothered. I understand that there are some coloured contacts that look absolutely ridiculous and extremely fake -- like the ones sold at your beauty supply store and look as if they've been dyed with highlighter fluid but even with the natural ones made my top manufacturers there seems to be such a negative outlook towards coloured contacts and those who choose to wear them. I just don't get it. Maybe it's that whole thing about being happy with what God gave you -- and trust me, I am happy with my natural eye colour but some times, you want to be different. :shrug:

Nikki_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmist
Not everyone has problems using petroleum jelly or mineral oil based products. A good example of this is the Nivea cream that many people swear by as a night creme. Others use Vaseline (or just petroleum jelly) because it seals a temporary barrier on the skin that allows the body's own oils and moisture to stay right there rather than evaporating or being easily rubbed away. Personally, Nivea creme (it has a mineral oil base) is one of the only products my skin has not rejected, and I have extremely soft and clear skin as a result. For people that have dry and sensitive skin, shea butter isn't always the best. I found it never sank in properly and instead just sat in a thin layer on my face and body that eventually irritated my skin and clogged pores. Obviously, this hasn't happened to you. I found the same reactions when I tried vegetable oils - coconut oil and almond oil were particularly vicious on my skin and caused little rashes because they weren't easily washed away with gentle soap after a day. Simple rinses with pure honey works on my face, but there are some that say it does nothing for them. The smells of essential oils tend to nauseate me or give me vicious headaches, while others swear by them. I just think we should be more careful about proclaiming and foreswearing products and brands and remember that we are providing anecdotal knowledge at best, unless we're chemists working in the industry...

i have to agree. i have tried everything under the sun including shea butter, and i always come back to vaseline. even table salt has dubious origins, but they make it so we can eat it! : )

Starr1

Things that make me cringe and/or want to vomit:

1. Eyeshadows, lipsticks, or glosses that look down right ashy. Sure I looked cute on the white girl at the counter, but it's not cute on you!

2. Black eyeliner on the lips. This is wrong on so many levels.

3. The whole Grace Jones blush-in-the-hollows-and-not-on-the-apples-of-the-cheeks look. You cannot create cheekbones with blush and it looks draggish! If you want cheekbones that badly then learn to CONTOUR!

4. Eyeshadow that looks like it's been finger painted on by a Kindergardener. Nuff said.

5. Foundation in the wrong color with a visible like of demarcation on the jaw. If you can't find the right color and don't want to blend foundations to get the right color, then cut your losses and get a tinted moisturizer. And for goodness sakes learn how to blend!