Biggest Makeup Crimes committed by Women of Color

aziajs

Thanks faifai & lipshock. Nude lips are so hard. There are so many kinds of "nude". Anyway, I like Kelly's lips here (not to mention the eyes):

002k.jpg

MisStarrlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
Thanks faifai & lipshock. Nude lips are so hard. There are so many kinds of "nude". Anyway, I like Kelly's lips here (not to mention the eyes):

002k.jpg

It depends on your actual tone, but I would try something like Coconutty w/ well-blended Cushy liner (it may be too frosty though, but it's worth a shot).

MiCHiE

Not only makeup, but just straight up & down crimes....

The stick straight tracks atop a ton of new growth....we need to do better. There are too many choices---and relaxers---for this.
Not waxing or shaving underarms. You would not believe how many of us I see like this.
A for Effort, but the poor blending and gold highlight has to cease.

NaturalSister19

I'm an N9 and I love C-Thru. I love to line with Night Moth, Vino, or 80% and just blend with a lip brush. It's really pretty because I do a lip-line/fill with the lip liner. Give it another chance people!

IMHO, many colors can be 'made' to look good on just about anyone with the right combination of something else. You can change the tone, make something too cool warmer, turn something too dark/light to just right and vice/versa. I think that is especially true with lip products.

L281173

I love nude makeup looks, but the only problem is that I look very dead and washed out. I love that look that Keli Rowland has though. Any suggestions. My skin coloring is in the range of Gabrielle Union and Missy Elliott.

NaturalSister19

Quote:
Originally Posted by L281173
I love nude makeup looks, but the only problem is that I look very dead and washed out. I love that look that Keli Rowland has though. Any suggestions. My skin coloring is in the range of Gabrielle Union and Missy Elliott.

Nude looks for us (I'm in that range, probably a couple shades browner) jave to have a little more drama to them than you may think. One the eye, try a mix of Nehru and Romp to rim your eye (use #219 brush) after you have based with Deep Shadow Paint. Bamboo on the brow bone.

For the nude look, I like to fill my brows with Strut, then Spiked to fine tune. I powder over them after their done, then brush through the brow in an upward motion for a more natural look.

On my cheek, I'll do combination of Raizin (cheek bone, apples) and little bit of Fever in the contour of the cheek.

For lips, I'll line with Cushy and use a lipbrush to blend Clear and Revealing Lipglasses.

Noticable nude, not washed out.

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
It depends on your actual tone, but I would try something like Coconutty w/ well-blended Cushy liner (it may be too frosty though, but it's worth a shot).

Thanks. I was posting that pic to show a nude lip on a deeper skintone. I liked the effect. I don't know how to achieve it on myself, as I am lighhter than Kelly, but I like the translusence of the lipcolor and the fact that it was an extention of her skin tone and not milky or creamy.

lipshock

Aziajs, that's kind of the nude lip I love to see women of colour wear and rock! It's not milky or creamy. It's perfect. I really want to try and find a combination that resembles that effect.

Beauty Marked!

Ladies. Ladies. Please be kind. I suspect that those who sport the looks that aren't to your taste might in fact think they are looking pretty fab. After all, it's really all about what makes "them"(and you) feel beautiful.
winks.gif
I am sure they wouldn't begrudge you for sporting what make you feel gorgeous.
smiles.gif
-'cause that's what it's all about, right?
angelic.gif

frocher

Aziajs, do you live near a Vincent Longo counter? They are at Sephora, and the Chika Mokita l/s with a subtle shimmery gloss on top would give a pretty nudey lip. HTHS

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frocher
Aziajs, do you live near a Vincent Longo counter? They are at Sephora, and the Chika Mokita l/s with a subtle shimmery gloss on top would give a pretty nudey lip. HTHS

Thank you. I will check it out.

captodometer

1)lipliner that is darker than the lipstick being worn with it

2)ghostly pale lipstick and/or eyeshadow highlights

3)thick, glittery eyeliner

4)makeup color coordinated with clothing, whether it matches skintone or not

5)yellow foundation on red skin or vice versa

6)inches long fake nails with airbrushed picture or decals

7)pastels on darker skin tones(never seen the reverse of lighter woman of color with goth look for some reason)

8)wearing too much makeup in general

jennzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle_Twinkle
You ain't never lied. I have a friend, who used to take her makeup off with a old sock and Vaseline. Me and another friend were like whhhaaaatt????? The second friend and I are fiends about face care and friend number one, mentioned our skin one day and how she has such problems with evenness and dryness. We asked do you exfoliate? No. Use toner? No. Face masks? No. Well what are you moisturizing with, and she said Vaseline! I nearly passed out! Well we got her on an Origins regimine, and she has seen an improvement. She still has that unblended highlight though, my my my. Baby steps I guess.

at least she does take off her makeup. i see my housemates just climbing onto bed without taking off their make up and i freak out on them! i don't care what they use just get it off! they just say i'll take it off tomorrow! vaseline is actually really good to use on your skin. i use it in the winter at night times. but not during the day its way too greasey yuk!

anyways my petpeeve...

is just foundation that is not your colour. i'm asian so i often see asian women buying a shade that is right for them if they only used a brush but because they pack it on it gets lighter. my mom used to be a fan of wearing lighter foundation bceause in asian culture being fair is considered beautiful and being tanned is bad. and if ur naturally dark (like me) because koreans are so fair, ur an outcast

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennzy
vaseline is actually really good to use on your skin. i use it in the winter at night times. but not during the day its way too greasey yuk!

Please don't use Vaseline on your face, ever. Petroleum jelly (and mineral oil) are extremely pore clogging. I don't use any product with either of them (hair, body, face, or lips). If you face is dry in the winter try either shea butter, or (and I make this for myself and my friend who loves it) take a glass vial and fill it with an ounce of grape seed or sweet almond oil (both absorb into the skin nicely) and add a few drops of your favorite essential oils (like tea tree, bergamont, lavender, etc.).

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle_Twinkle
Please don't use Vaseline on your face, ever. Petroleum jelly (and mineral oil) are extremely pore clogging. I don't use any product with either of them (hair, body, face, or lips)

Thank you for mentioning that. My father has been telling me that for the last 20 years. Petroleum Jelly and Mineral Oil are very bad for the skin. They are just cheap ingredients companies use in skin care.

Tyra Banks always talks about how she loves Vaseline and it makes me cringe everytime I see her use it.

I have used Glycerin, straight out the bottle and diluted with water and it works well to moisturize. I have heard it's good for the skin. If anyone has evidence to the contrary I would love to know.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Vegetable gycerin (I am assuming this is the type you are using) is very moisturizing for the hair and locking in moisture, and I can't imagine it would be bad for the skin. As a general rule of thumb, don't put anything in your hair that you wouldn't put on your skin (and if not your face, then atleast your body)

BadBadGirl

I went to the MAC counter a while back when the Chromeglasses came out. I informed the MA I was tried of just using clear lipgloss and wanted to try some color.

He handed me Ooh Baby. I think some MAs need to be more adventurous also lol. I ended up not buying it, my bf and I both thought it looked too bright for my color.

LipstickLez

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipshock
I don't know if this could necessarily be labeled as a "crime" but the fact that many women of colour never want to branch outside of the frosty bronzes, frosty golds, frosty brown colour range. I personally believe the beautiful bright eyeshadows were made for us because they pop against the darkness of our complexions. But that's just me.

I understand that bright colours can be truly intimidating but experimentation is the key. We can work any colour truthfully!
smiles.gif

My mom is one of those gold gold gold chicks and passed it on to me. A while back I started venturing into purples on the eyes, but I'm just now thinking about adding some (non olive!) greens and even an electric blue for more dramatic looks. One of my recent risky purchases was Exhibitionist (Amplified). I looked at it and shyed away, then the m/a said Eve had used in her vid (which I think she had mixed up ) but anyhow, I tried on this fairly bright, melon color and guess what: It lights my whole face up.

LipstickLez

I think you all have hit the salient points but there are a few things that must be said:

-Silver eye crayon: I know you all have talked about the white, but the silver is even worse. It's applied thick as a highway line and it just creates this freaky Star Trek effects

-The Cat Eye: Someone, anyone, please make this stop. You know the look - home girl drags her liquid liner out to her hairline. Women who do this usually do it EVERYDAY at that lmao

-Glitter shadow: As in big, chunky glitter that appears to be affixed with some sort of gunky, adhesive concoction. Often combined with the silver liner.

-Bad color contacts: I wear hazel myself, but only because I tried it once on whim and felt it gave a little life to my face. But frankly, anything beyond that looks overly phony to me for most complex. And it's hard to take a person seriously when they've got ridiculous green contacts.

MiCHiE

Oh, God, my coworker damn near knocked me over looking for a lipliner, "Where da black pencils!??!"
Yes, she put it on her lips before adding some dark ass lipstick on top...

Then, we were having a funny ass discussion about these makeup "felons" who used to work with us and lo & behold, another co-worker walks up with her eyes looking like 2 blue skies! WTF?!!? It was so bad that I was talking to her, got extremely "weak" and started laughing, mid-sentence.