Coastal Scents Discussion - palettes, pigments, micas, etc.

macedout

Please keep all Coastal scents product discussion in this thread, including palettes, micas, glitters, liners, etc. For a discussion on Coastal Scent brushes, please refer to this thread:

http://specktra.net/f167/coastal-sce...scents+brushes

has anyone tried coastal scents Mica, glitter powder, oxides and pigments? (excuse the ignorance but what exactly are they? i'm assuming these products are dupes for p/g and glitters, pls clarify...)

how do they compared to mac products?? are these eye safe?

their prices are great, just want to make sure quality is great and LONG LASTING too, before i order.
th_DANCE.gif

here's the link:
Coastal Scents: Glitter Powder
Coastal Scents: Mica Powders

talste

Re: Mica/glitter powder, oxides and pigments, OH MY! (coastalscents.com)

The best way to explain it is they're raw cosmetic grade colours/dyes.
Micas & pigments go into eyeshadows/foundations/blush etc to give the cosmetic its colour.

As they are only a colourant with no binders (Dimethicone, Jojoba Oil, Triglyceride, etc) most will not adhere to the skin very well on there own & not all are lip/eye safe. e.g Blues and anything using a blue mica (violet, aqua, teal, etc) will not be lip safe.

I use them occasionally using MAC water based mixing medium to apply and the colour pay off is amazing (think 100% colour pay off)

hope that helps

macedout

sounds awesome if the color payoff is 100%!! do u prefer the coastal scents to mac? if so why

talste

Price wise: coastal scents
thmbup.gif

convenience: MAC
It gets a bit messy dealing with micas, i.e they come in sample bags that are not ideal to work with so transferring to the 10mg jars is a bit of a chore if your doing like 10 - 20 at a time.

I'm a bit biased though as I collect MAC pigments and the MAC marketing machine sure has sucked me in so whenever a new L.E piggy is released I HAVE TO HAVE IT.

If you do decide to try micas use the water based mixing medium not the alcohol one, I've tried both the water based definitely makes the mica easier to apply.

aimerbijoux

Which coastal scents palette should I get?

I want to buy a palette from coastal scents, either the 88 eyeshadow set that don't really have alot of shimmer (as said in its description) or the 88 "ultra shimmer" palette. I don't have alot of mattes, most of my eyeshadows are all MAC frost or satin so i'm not quite sure if I need 88 ultra frosty shadows. I just think they are soooo freakin' pretty.

What do you recommend? Also those of you who have the one that is not ultra shimmer, what is its closest MAC finish?

Thanks in advance!!

RoseyPosey

Re: Which coastal scents palette should I get?

i have the ultra shimmer one and honestly they arent ULTRA shimmery. they do have a nice frost to them, some are more frosty than others but i love that pallette and im so glad i didnt get the regular one!

jenavii

Oh damn, I bougth the Matte pallete because I thougth the ultra shimmer might be TOO shimmery. Luckily I also bougt the Crystal Ice Mica, to top of the eye shadows, incase they were too matte.

Coastal Scents: Crystal Ice Mica

Dottles

Coastal Scents Pallets and ELF Cosmetics

I'm kind of new to the obsession of makeup. Thanks to YouTube I'm overly obsessed. I've seen reviews on the Coastal Scents eye shadow pallets and some ELF reviews but I was wondering what you guys thought about 'em?

I'm considering buying the two 88 eyeshadow pallets and the 28 neutral pallet to start off with. As for Elf, I want to try out their brushes more than anything due to the cheapness of 'em. I'm looking through the Coastal Scents Brushes thread so I'm getting info about those there..

Anyway, any advice would be helpful. Unfortunately due to lack of funds I can't order anything MAC at the moment and the closest MAC store to me is about 2hrs on the train. However... just you wait until funds are available, you'll looooove my haul for it!

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I found a 34 piece brush set - would you believe I've only JUST learned about makeup brushes? I found it on eBay and due to the low price I'm considering purchasing it until I can afford higher end ones. I was wondering what you guys thought about it (I'll post the link)

Thanks!

MUJI PRO Supermodels Brush Set 34pcs w/ Case PC3401 R on eBay, also Brushes Applicators, Beauty Tools, Makeup, Health Beauty (end time 18-Oct-08 05:21:27 BST)

Beauty For Ashe

Re: Coastal Scents Pallets and ELF Cosmetics

I'll be the first to tell you that I do not care for E.L.F brushes. However, I have heard that the brushes that coastal scents sale work great. I know how it is building a makeup kit. It is very expensive. You are doing the right thing by asking for advice. Another line that you should consider is Ben Nye. They have a really good line of makeup at a lower cost than M.A.C. It took me years to purchase all of my brushes and I still want more.

Kiss and Makeup

I don't know anything about the ELF brushes, but I've heard absolutely amazing things about the coastal scents palettes. Purzebuzz on youtube did a video where she opened hers up for the first time on camera and she was really excited about them. The cases look gorgeous, and if I knew I'd use them (I already have SOOO much eyeshadow) I'd invest in them. The colors are small (dime shaped) but I've heard they're really pigmented and you don't need a lot.

I have a couple of their brushes and I really like them. I have the skunk brush (which doesn't shed as much as I thought it would) a dupe of the 219 (which I don't like for the 219, but it's still a good brush!) and a "small shader" brush that is literally about the size of a .25 carat diamond. I am CRAZY about it for detailed crease work and undereye work.

I also really like the fact they have a sale right now.. 40% off the 24 shimer eyeshadow! This brush is absolutely amazing. If you have an eyeshadow that doesn't have good payout with one coat, and you have to do multiples, this brush packs it on. The bristles are SO thick and SO stiff that it really works. It *can* be kind of pokey but it's worth it, IMHO.

just0lovely

I did alot of research on the Coastal Scents palettes also before buying it
choochoo.gif
It is smaller than expected but there are 88 colors and they're pretty pigmented for the price. I wouldn't say it's comparable to Mac but they are great to begin practicing with! I bought the 88 shimmer palette because many people suggested that one if you're going to be practicing blending and stuff. I also got many of their brushes. Coastal Scents: Black on Black Sable Shadow
This is a new one - I'd say it's comparable to the mac fluff brush! The one mentioned above is great too! The only problem with it is it's too big to work with the palette. The brush ends up getting the colors next to the one you want. I like their round crease brush also. I haven't tried ELF brushes - always wondered though... I heard so many great things about it but haven't got around to it. Have you tried Sonia Kashuk brushes? They sell them at target. I have their small eye shader brush - let me tell you, that brush is AMAZING! It's soft yet has resistance so the color goes right where you want it. It's one of my everyday brushes. You've got to try that one!
thmbup.gif

Sass E

My advice would be to search the Coastal Scents website for reviews of the brushes they offer and start your collection with them rather than a cheap set on ebay. For the price you'll get very good quality brushes. I love their badger brushes and their MAC dupes are very decent, imo. Also if you sign up for their newsletter you will get Friday email deals and sometimes they do have sales on their brushes and that will save you even more money.

I'd say if you are on a budget the 88 e/s pallet quality is very good considering the price. I haven't ordered the neutral pallet from them yet but that is definitly on my list and apparently there are a lot of really good MAC dupes in that pallet.

I've purchased elf products and the only item I like is the lipgloss. I've tried a few of their other products and wasn't really that impressed. The brushes, I've owned a few and they were horrible, went straight to the trash.

As far as MAC don't forget there are a lot of people on here offering MAC and other brands at a great discount so you can slowly build your collection as your budget allows.
HTH

Kiss and Makeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by just0lovely
Have you tried Sonia Kashuk brushes? They sell them at target. I have their small eye shader brush - let me tell you, that brush is AMAZING! It's soft yet has resistance so the color goes right where you want it. It's one of my everyday brushes. You've got to try that one!
thmbup.gif

I have a couple of Sonia Kashuk brushes and I LOVE the angled eyeliner brush! It's comparable to MAC 209, but the way the brush is angled, like an "L" shape with the bristles at the end of the short side, makes it easier to put on eyeliner in a straight line.

just0lovely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss and Makeup
I have a couple of Sonia Kashuk brushes and I LOVE the angled eyeliner brush! It's comparable to MAC 209, but the way the brush is angled, like an "L" shape with the bristles at the end of the short side, makes it easier to put on eyeliner in a straight line.

ooh I've had my eye on that brush for some time now! Now I'm definitely going to get it!

Kiss and Makeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by just0lovely
ooh I've had my eye on that brush for some time now! Now I'm definitely going to get it!

For $6 you can't beat the price! I've considered getting another one, because I hate washing my eyeliner brushes every day.

Vi0let_Twilight

Actually, the matte one isn't completely matte. I ordered this one after I bought the shimmer pallet and was surprised to find both finishes in it. It was a minor disappointment for me as I had paid for shipping twice to get both pallets (they were sold out of the matte one when I bought the shimmer and you can't add items to a pending order) and instantly noticed a couple of (as far as I can tell) redundancies between the two. But for only 20something bucks a pop, I personally couldn't just pick one!
ANYWHO, if I were forced to make a decision, I would go with the matte one, solely because it boasts both finishes, so you can still play around with the colors. Both apply equally buttery smooth and have terrific staying power on my eyes.

TDoll

The regular palette is closest to matte and satin finishes. Actually most of them are more of a satin. It's my favorite palette out of the two. The ultra shimmer palette is closest to the formula of frosts and veluxe pearls.

BlaqueBarbie

I have the 88 56the on w/blushes and 28 neutral I recommend all 3!

Silveretta

I love the matte/satin finish one.
I think it was the better of the two
smiles.gif

ApplePeace

88 Ultra Shimmer Eyeshadow Palette

I was thinking of buying this pallet 88 Ultra Shimmer Eyeshadow Palette is it worth it has anyone tried it???

and what shipping did you use, did you get insurance on that??

Latest posts