Customer Service in London MAC stores

anti_starlet8

With all this talk to despicable customer service, I decided to post my story - I visited three different MAC outlets in central London this week, 2 free standing and one counter, all with different levels of customer service but promisingly, not all were bad
th_DANCE.gif

I usually hate makeup shopping. I usually especially hate shopping at MAC - it seems that the MA's always make you feel about a centimeter tall because you're asking for their help. I hate having to endure their superiority complexes and snobbery. But I wanted something special for NYE, like new eyeshadows and I wanted to see them in the flesh before I bought them. So on Monday I got to Oxford St. early in order to get to Selfridges before I had to go to work... My dread was completely justified. It would seem that the MAC counter in Selfridges is full of MA's who completely ignore you, I think that they think that I'm too young to spend lots or to be open to suggestion, when actually its the complete other way around - actually I have a very sizeable overdraft that I'd quite willingly blow on MAC if I was sans conscience :p and at the end of the day, they're MA's they know the colours that go
smiles.gif
So I stood around aimlessly looking at e/s' & when I'd decided the ones I wanted I got ignored again, at the counter, apart from one male Asian (in the American sense) MA who could see I was waiting patiently but had to deal with other customers first. He was lovely but the rest of them were not. This isn't the first time I've had service like that from the MAC counter in Selfridge's so that one was a no-no.

Anyway, they had run out of Stars N' Rockets which was what I had really gone there for so I thought I might make another trip to the Covent Garden MAC, which is where I went yesterday, within about 2 minutes of stepping in the store, an MA (female, Asian) had asked me if I needed any help (by this point, I was over Stars and Rockets and was interested in foundations!). I wanted to try the MSFs naturals but it wasn't what I was looking for so she suggested Studio Fix, she took care to properly determine the best colour match for me, showed me what it looked like with both a sponge and a brush and answered all my questions without any hostility at all. She even wrote down what she'd applied to my face and also did the other side so I could see how I got on. She was brill. I've had good customer service from that MAC store in the past so I was much happier.

I really liked the Studio Fix but wanted to see it in daylight before purchasing (it was past 4pm yesterday when I went into MAC) so I went after work to Soho MAC (aka the London MAC Pro store)... had to wait a little while for an MA to come up to me (female, long straight blonde hair, lovely green glittery e/s) but she was very helpful, I basically went through the whole rigamole of yesterday just so I could be sure the Studio Fix was what I wanted... I forgot the shade I had tried on yesterday and the MA colourmatched me with shades I didn't think suited me as well. I left the store, to check my face in the sunlight and to consider. After about half hour I decided I wanted to try the shade from yesterday against the darker shade, went back to the MAC store, this time another MA helped me almost instantaneously (male, tall, dark hair) I told him what I wanted to do and he sat me in the chair, applied the other shade. He was the nicest MAC MA I have ever encountered, answering all my questions again without hostility - he didn't patronize, sigh, scoff anything like that he was what all bl**dy SA's should be universally! He even wished me a good weekend, in a sincere way, not a I'm saying this because I have to kind of way. I think he got that I knew what I was talking about, that I've done my research and I'm not totally clueless when it comes to makeup and brushes - I think when I confidently asked for my short handled 129 he got that. I think confidence is the key.
Going to Soho MAC has really made my day and restored my faith in MAC MA's. I used to always go to the MAC counter at Selfridge's because it's on Oxford Street and maybe it's just the fact that their counter is always really busy or maybe it is their MA's, I just prefer to go to the freestanding stores now. So have faith! All is not lost. I no longer have to stress out when I shop for makeup.

Long story short:
  • Avoid MAC counter at Selfridge's unless you like being ignored by MA's and being crowded by lots of people looking at lots of different things crammed onto tiny tables.
    thmbdn.gif
  • Covent Garden MAC is better, some snobby MA's still but also a few gems too - not enough natural light for me, though. Also a bit busy still cos it's on Neal Street.
  • Soho MAC (the Pro store) is probably the best for customer service, also it carries the Pro range, nice big wall mirrors to evaluate your look in. Wasn't really busy, even though it was Saturday afternoon, probably owing to the fact it's hidden slightly (sidestreet off Carnaby street)
    yahoo.gif
Hope this helps! (sorry it's so long!)

bartp

thanks for the shopping diary. I'm surprised that there's such a big difference. At least now I know where to shop , next time that I'm in London. So far all my MAC experiences with MAC sales assistants have been great. But I do understand the point that you are making about good service. I'd walk an extra mile for some good service too. Strange that a luxury store like Selfridges doesn't get that.

Punky79

Hi London girls!

I agree, the Selfridges MAs are horrid. I have never ever had good service in there and tend to only buy there if I am desperate or know exactly what I want. I was after a purple look once and she covered my whole eye in Violet pigment with a bit of beauty marked which was no where near my crease - horrific
angry.gif

I love the MAs in High Street Ken but that's a bit out of the way from Central London.

I've actually never been to the Soho pro store - I'm a bit scared to go in case I spend ££££££
winks.gif

nunu

Thanks for the info!! I have never encountered bad MA's yet. I love my local MAC MUA's they are soo sweet and they know i'm a regular
smiles.gif
i go to the one in Birmingham btw and the MUAs in the selfridges in birmingham are sweet too!

anti_starlet8

Glad this helped! Yeah, I know it's surprising that London Selfridges' MAC deliver such bad customer service but I think it's due to the fact that their counter is always packed with customers. It always seems that it's women who are 25+ and have never seen MAC before so who need a bit of help picking colours and products etc. Also, where their counter is located has the most artificial dimmed light in the world so it isn't great for colour matching or anything like that. The Freestanding stores are much better.
I didn't know there was one in High Street Ken! Then again, I never shop there because it's not particularly close to me and I find that everything I want is located somewhere within the vicinity of Holborn to Marble Arch.
On a side note, there's also a Shu Uemura boutique in Neal Street, close to MAC so I get both MU fixes!
th_DANCE.gif

Luceuk

I know what you mean about bad customer service, I'm not impressed by the House of Fraser counter at the Metro Centre. So I mainly just buy everything from the website now. I'm going to London ins the summer so will try to get to the Pro store.

JustDivine

V disappointing experience at HoF City this week....will NOT be going back there, even though its close to me.

From now on Im doing freestanding stores only!

user68

Thankfully I've never had any bad experiences either
smiles.gif

I think the Soho store is my favorite, it's not as crowded as convent garden (which I also love) and someone has always been around to help. Never visited any of the counters though!

toparistonight

I've never been to the Covent Garden one, but I go into London probably twice a month, and always vsit the Soho Pro store, and they are always lovely to me in there, and take the time to chat with you and stuff.
I also went along to the MAC counter in Harrods (twice I think) when McQueen was released, where I got one really bitchy girl, and one lovely one. But I do like the Harrods counter, lots of space, compared to my local one (HoF, The Oracle, Reading) when everything is squished in.

DirtyPlum

Hey all,

Its interesting to hear all your experiences... ditto, when i was working in london, I always went to the Selfridges counter cos I wasnt aware of any others - i hated it because it was too busy and i didnt get a friendly service, I can remember one girl being so arrogant and just answering Qs with yes or no only!

Thankfully I found the Pro store and have to say they are all really nice and I would recommend that as the best London store. Bonus that its Pro too!

I have been to the Covent Garden store too a few times and even tho its pretty busy, the MAs are still pleasant and not stuck-up.

I have become a regular at the Reading Oracle counter now however, all nice but experienced one totally rude MA who pretty much told me to choose my own blush colour. I specifically asked her for a beigy-pink blush and she said actually i think peachy tones would look better on you. I said yes I have a couple of peachy colours but want a subtle pink/beigy one. She replied ''ok, choose one then!''

I just gave a her a look and turned my back to her... she walked off - cow. Her loss really cos I actually bought a few things that day and another MA recommended Blushbaby to me - which was perfect and I love it!

Luckily, Ive had more positive than negatives!

toparistonight

I need to visit the Covent Garden one, I suppose, I just don't often go that way lol.
And yeah, Reading is the closest to me too, so I get all my stuff there pretty much. I think they're all really lovely there, except one girl who looked really angry all the time..haha. My story is pretty similar to yours actually, I wanted some fairly light nude-pinky lipsticks I could wear everyday, and she suggested a dark red. I told her I've had red lipstick in the past, and it really doesn't suit me, she was like "oh. Well I don't know then. Pick what you like." Fortunately, another girl there who has served me a few times stepped in. So go her, haha.

glam8babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceuk
I know what you mean about bad customer service, I'm not impressed by the House of Fraser counter at the Metro Centre. So I mainly just buy everything from the website now. I'm going to London ins the summer so will try to get to the Pro store.

I havent been to that one yet but i have heard bad stuff about it.. u should go to Fenwicks at Eldon Square everyone is so nice, helpfull and annoyingly pretty lol [try to go on a morning - mid morning when theres hardly any customers there!]
i have started gettin my stuff online now too because they accept debit cards [they didnt do this last year] but i do prefer going to the counter so i can see everything in person as the swatches on the site arent very good

anti_starlet8

My only gripe now is that I can't purchase Pro items online, like palettes. macpro.com only lets you buy from there if you're a Mac Pro member
ssad.gif

toparistonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti_starlet8
My only gripe now is that I can't purchase Pro items online, like palettes. macpro.com only lets you buy from there if you're a Mac Pro member
ssad.gif

I think you can phone the Soho Pro store and order things over the phone, but I've never tried. :S

nunu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamyla
Hey all,

Its interesting to hear all your experiences... ditto, when i was working in london, I always went to the Selfridges counter cos I wasnt aware of any others - i hated it because it was too busy and i didnt get a friendly service, I can remember one girl being so arrogant and just answering Qs with yes or no only!

Thankfully I found the Pro store and have to say they are all really nice and I would recommend that as the best London store. Bonus that its Pro too!

I have been to the Covent Garden store too a few times and even tho its pretty busy, the MAs are still pleasant and not stuck-up.

I have become a regular at the Reading Oracle counter now however, all nice but experienced one totally rude MA who pretty much told me to choose my own blush colour. I specifically asked her for a beigy-pink blush and she said actually i think peachy tones would look better on you. I said yes I have a couple of peachy colours but want a subtle pink/beigy one. She replied ''ok, choose one then!''

I just gave a her a look and turned my back to her... she walked off - cow. Her loss really cos I actually bought a few things that day and another MA recommended Blushbaby to me - which was perfect and I love it!

Luckily, Ive had more positive than negatives!

Oh my god!! what a cow! I am soo sorry you had to be treated that way!!
her loss!

nunu

Quote:
Originally Posted by toparistonight
I think you can phone the Soho Pro store and order things over the phone, but I've never tried. :S

that would be lovely!!! i've been wanting mixing medium for a while now but it's only sold in pro stores and i live in the midlands and i don't know my way round london properly otherwise i would've gone!
I really hope they do orders by the phone!

Shepherdess

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunu
that would be lovely!!! i've been wanting mixing medium for a while now but it's only sold in pro stores and i live in the midlands and i don't know my way round london properly otherwise i would've gone!
I really hope they do orders by the phone!

Nunu the Pro store dont do phone orders any more but they do have a mac mail order (woohoo!), and you can order all things from the pro line
th_wink3.gif

I dont have the mail order number but you can call the pro store and the automated answer phone will direct you there.

The number is 02075349222. I hope you enjoy your mixing medium!
winkiss.gif

Shepherdess

Generally I've been quite lucky with the MA's in Selfridges except for one time where I got the 'yes/ no to any question asked treatment'.

The pro store are extremely friendly, even when theyre mega busy which they always are!

DirtyPlum

I'm on the other side of the counter now! I'll make notes and make sure I provide good customer service!!

Ive been a MAC customer for years and visited a few different counters so hope I can take a bit from each MUA who has served me well!