Customer Service in London MAC stores

amber_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaltest
Wow, you had good service at Canterbury? Thats my 'local' counter, well my nearest one (live near Ashford, i'm at uni in Canterbury), and I try to avoid it like the plague! There is only one nice MA in there I feel. Every time I go in there (unless its the nice girl), I don't get a hello, I get half arsed help, and just a general 'I don't want to talk to you' attitude. But oh well, at least you had a good experience there!!

I'm also off to Portsmouth CCO soon
smiles.gif
Going on Friday!!

I think we were served by the same girl...
yes.gif
Good to know that service is variable there.

c00ki312

shock horror! after refusing to spend a penny in mac selfridges london for years and years due to the AWFUL customer service, i finally visited the counter the friday after CoC was released...and the ma's were WONDERFUL! they were busy but not overly busy and as soon as i started browsing 2 ma's asked if i needed help. 2! before it wouldve been a nightmare to even get ones attention but they were so helpful and polite. I think the new layout and queing system contributed to the new service coz if you know what you want, you can just join the paying queue and the ma behind the counter will get your products as theyre on a wall display behind them. they now carry e/s pans and when i realised this, i asked if she could exchange my e/s pots to pans and she was happy to do so, instead of grumping around. so yeh i will contine visiting the counter but only when its less busy.

NoAddedSugar

I still get random service at Selfridges Oxford Street. At CoC launch I was approached by a very nice SA and we played with stuff (but I didn't buy because I have a pro card and they don't accept it there). A few days later I was in Selfridges for something else and decided to have another look around before I went over to the ProStore near Carnaby street and had an SA darting around me humphing right and left and straightening the counter I was at. I apolgised a couple of times for being in her way until I realised that actually I'm not the one who should apologise and I walked away.

Granted, I know its not easy to clean a counter with people trying to play with product, but that's what it's there for. She should have kept her annoyance to herself and asked me politely to move if I was in her way. I have loads of stories like that from that counter.

However, when I went to the ProStore there were plenty of SAs on hand and I was helped pretty much immediately and wasn't given any hostility or snottiness that I often see at Selfridges. Generally, I have a better experience at the prostore.

I agree with a previous poster on Harvey Nics knightsbrige, that counter is generally pretty nice and not snotty and they do have pro items. I don't know if they take the card though.

amber_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaltest
I'm also off to Portsmouth CCO soon
smiles.gif
Going on Friday!!

OT (sorry!) - did you see anything nice in Portsmouth? I went last Sunday and picked up a few things (list of products available is in the CCO Sightings thread). Really gutted there wasn't any Port Red in stock
ssad.gif

NatalieMT

I'd also give a good review of the MAC counter in Harrods, the girls/guys in there who have served me have all be absolutely lovely. Only been a handful of times (I live in Chester not London) but always received top quality customer service and left really happy. I was served quickly, the MAs were all very personable and friendly and gave good recs. etc.

I had one particularly good experience when a lovely girl also called Natalie served me, we chatted, she made some e/s suggestions and showed me what they looked like on me. I bought a couple and also a lipgloss, she saw I was also looking at brushes and gave me this booklet on all of them to take home and view at my own leisure.

I've never been to the Canterbury counter. When I'm at Uni there I still always travel home to go to the Bluewater HoF one! I might be brave and try it sometime though.

I was at the Covent Garden store yesterday to pick up an empty palette and it seemed nice. I was approached pretty much straight away and served quickly. The only issue I had was when I asked for an empty 15 palette and a Newly Minted pan eyeshadow, I was asked if I wanted 15 of them to fill up the palette. My boyfriend nearly had a heart attack and I was just like "Uh.. no that's fine. One will do!"
shockt.gif

vocaltest

Quote:
Originally Posted by noticethestripe
I've never been to the Canterbury counter. When I'm at Uni there I still always travel home to go to the Bluewater HoF one! I might be brave and try it sometime though.

I was at the Covent Garden store yesterday to pick up an empty palette and it seemed nice. I was approached pretty much straight away and served quickly. The only issue I had was when I asked for an empty 15 palette and a Newly Minted pan eyeshadow, I was asked if I wanted 15 of them to fill up the palette. My boyfriend nearly had a heart attack and I was just like "Uh.. no that's fine. One will do!"
shockt.gif

Ooooooh!! You're at uni in Canterbury? Which one?
Haha I've been asked that before if i've wanted to fill up the palette when I bought it, and was like 'errr... no im ok!'

amber_j

Quote:
University of Kent
yes.gif
Do you go to Uni there too?

Ooh, UKC is my old uni!
thmbup.gif
It's a a great place. I went back to visit a few weeks ago and wanted to re-enrol.

vocaltest

Quote:
University of Kent
yes.gif
Do you go to Uni there too?

Nope I go to Christchurch, rubbish I know but still! Close enough! How weird lol.

abbey_08

i went to the mac counter in harrods about just over a year ago i think and omg they was so rude, this girl told me that mascara x did not exsist and to go ask harrods customer services about it! the girls at the bluewater kent mac are very friendly but only been there once or twice.

User49

I find it a little shocking to think that the London Mac Staff aren't meeting customer expectations, seeing as to work in London stores you need to be the best of the best. I work in a mac store in the UK too and I always try and treat each customer with respect, no matter what age they are or whatever. I'd love to print this out and send it to the store and see what the manager had to say! What a shame that people are feeling that we are too snobby to talk to. I get this a lot, before someone at work has even spoken to me it seems they have made their mind up that I am going to be unfriendly! We have to look and be professional but I always try and be as friendly as possible. What a shame that people feel this way...

Ladybugz

I thought i would throw in my experiences here!

I have been to the soho store a few times and general try to get out of there as quick as possible as i like to spend time to decide on products i want to buy (otherwise i would buy the whole shop) and It seems once i have got a MA's attention and get one thing as i'm abou tto ask for the next they say oh i'll leave this behind the till and run off to someone else...always feel so very rushed in there. Fair play they are usually busy as they are a pro store. but i will only go there if i really need something!

Covent garden i havent been to before but a friend has and after the way they spoke to her i don't plan on going there. she went in to buy a technakohl liner. Once she got the MA's attention and asked for the liner the MA said well this isn't very good but if you want it for the water line you should use this and this liner is also much better. my friend had litterally nipped in there for just this liner as she has used it before and they MA was making it plain difficult for her even after she explained she has used it, didn't want it for her waterline and was in a rush! She also heard 2 MA's taking the P**s out of a customers make up - personally i would hate to think that MA's were taking the mick out of me.

Brent Cross Fenwicks - i used to go there a lot and will pop by from time time if im at the shopping centre but i will never go out of my way to go there or ask for advice. I went in to ask about foundations and concealers when i was fairly new to mac and the MA just told me to pick which one i thought. and when i picked she went yes! but it wasn't in way that she was trying to help - it was like she couldn't be bothered - i ended up spending near on £200 that day and all she seemed to do when i asked for something else was tut!!!!

Selfridges - 2 words! NEVER AGAIN! i went in not even needing advice just to see if 2 things were in stock! the MA simply dumped them in my hand and said take them to the till when your ready!

Now for my fav counter that has hardly had a mention and thats House of Fraser in the City. the MA's know me by name, they take their time to help me out and advise me on new collections and tells me how different products work if im not familiar with them. Take time to have a chat for example, just before summer i popped in to get a mineralize skinfinish duo, I told the MA that i was going on hols in a week so needed it for when i was tanned and she picked out the best colour for me after asking how easily i tanned etc etc. I didn't go in there until Mid September and when i came in she asked me how my holiday was and even remembered where i went! now thats what i call customer service! There is usually one MA that comes straight too me but if she isn't there all of the girls have helped me at some stage and have always been so helpful! try to avoid before 9am, between 12pm - 1pm and 5pm - 6pm! thankfully this fits around my working hours
greengrin.gif

hope that helps

abbey_08

i went to the selfridges mac in oct cos its was my friends bday and she wanted to go up london for the say. OH MY GOD iv never seen SO many people crammed around a counter!!! it was sooooooo busy they where just applying makeup on people in any free space they had, which werent much. i tried to dive in my in the end gave up lol...no wonder they get stressed and can be rude when dealing with all that!!

and my bf took me to bluewater shopping at the weekend so i got to go to the mac in hof (this was prob only my 3rd visit to a store, dont live near any so buy online) ...i was wandering round for a bit then the s.a came over - which i liked cos she let me have a lil look before coming to help. she helped me pick out a nude lippy, helped me choose some nice eyelashes that werent too long but full because im a glasses wearer. i ended up getting stark naked blush (madly in love with it!!!!!) and melon pigment aswell. she was very nice and helpful asking if i had eyelash glue and a base for the pigment.

i wish i had a mac near me but its probably a blessing because buying online stops me spending too much...when its infront of me i find it harder not to get everything! lol

Ladybugz

Oh yeah i have been to the bluewater one too and they were very helpful.... i cant comment much as i wasnt there for very long just went for one thing that i needed to pick up
greengrin.gif

c00ki312

i was in mac westfield london today and although it wasnt busy, there were free ma's walking around. i wanted the prep and prime and was looking for an MA. one looked at me (i made a face like i needed help) and she just ignored me and walked to anoter lady who didnt want help. the MA walked past me and my friend and i had to follow her to get her attention. When she finally did help me, i asked for the primer and she snatched it out my hand, put it back on the counter and said ok. i was too scared to ask her to get me an eye khol so i waited until i was at the till and despite a queue, she was happy to run to the front of the store to get it. she also made conversation with me and my friend.

i think its just hit and miss when it comes to kind mac staff. you get some snooty ones then lovely ones.

IMO, the staff at inglot across the hall are SO polite, friendly and they WANT to help you. not alot of people go in there but their makeup can rival MAC anyday. plus the layout and range is way more bigger. amazing MU, amazing staff!

BTW, inglot regular sized traincase are £35!!!!!!!!!!!!

MsCocoa

I went to MAC in w.field I found them to be ok, I think the shop was too small though...I prefered the layout of Inglot but didn't feel that the customer service was there.

browneyedbaby

I've been in Westfield MAC 3 times so far and have never once been greeted or asked if I needed help... really dissapointing.