Death

user79

I don't fear death really, well I'd like not to die horribly and painfully, but when my time is up, then not much I can do about it. I don't believe in afterlife whatsoever, nor do I believe in Heaven or Hell or anything like that, but that's fine by me. I think we are just biological organisms who die like anything else, and our remains eventually disintegrate and that's it, I don't believe that there's such a thing as a spirit that lives on somewhere.

chocolategoddes

I used to not believe in spirits and souls until my uncle died.
It was weird to suddenly have people referring to my uncle as "a body".
"We're going to bury the body" instead of "We're going to bury your uncle".

I think the difference between a person and a body is the spirit.
I mean, when we die, where does that part of us go?
Our personality, our imagination, our sense of humor.... does that just "die", too?

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes

I think the difference between a person and a body is the spirit.
I mean, when we die, where does that part of us go?
Our personality, our imagination, our sense of humor.... does that just "die", too?

I think it lives on in the hearts and memories of those who loved and knew us best

Nox

Due to my strongly religious upbringing, I did fear death. Now that I've cast aside those beliefs, I no longer have the same fear and I am comforted now more because I do not believe in Heaven or Hell.

One thing I would like to have done after my death is to have a natural burial in the dirt somewhere or be cremated and have my ashes dumped in a forest somewhere by loved ones. Being locked away in a concrete box away from nature where it can decompose naturally... that kind of freaks me out.

User35

Im scared of getting shot in the face or neck...or becoming paralized from the neck down...and not having enough time to live up to my full potential. Thats all that scares me. Death...I think about it a lot actually. People in my line of work dont usually live all that long. If you make it to retirement I hear most ppl only live 5 years after retirement. O well.

Korms

I am petrified of dying a horrible, painful death. I'd much rather go in my sleep, peacefully. I am not scared of that.

I saw a medium/spiritualist last night at a friends house. I was super skeptical at first but he knew way too much stuff about us, he was spot on about everything, really specific too. It was awesome. Because of this, I am now coming round to the idea that there is something after our bodies die. It's a reassuring thought.

pumpkincat210

My favorite grandma passed away after a few illnesses a couple of weeks ago so death has definitely been on my mind.
I miss her terribly and can't believe she is gone forever.
All my life i feared death but I believed it was like before we were born...nothingness. Now I have changed my mind. I hope someday I will get to see her again and hug her and tell her i love her one more time. I really hope there is an afterlife and it is a good one. I'm scared of the dying part too, I don't want to hurt and be in pain. I'm very scared and don't want to die or die young, i need to see my children grow up, I want grandchildren and I don't want anyone else to pass although i know it's the natural order of life.

chocolategoddes

^^^^ I completeely agree with it being like before birth (and sleep w. out dreams because no one really knows they're asleep until they've woken up. It's just nothing)

pdtb050606

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieR429
Im scared of getting shot in the face or neck...or becoming paralized from the neck down...and not having enough time to live up to my full potential. Thats all that scares me. Death...I think about it a lot actually. People in my line of work dont usually live all that long. If you make it to retirement I hear most ppl only live 5 years after retirement. O well.

Do you mind me asking what your profession is? that's scary

AdlersMommy22

Im scared of my family/friends dieing too.

I mostly scared of my son dieing.

Any little thing he does freaks me out... one reason why i dont want his father to get custody of him--> Im a control freak and I need to watch my son 24/7.. he's only 10 months old.. and I dont see his father (whos never met him) watching him like i do. It makes my stomach turn.

Im PETRIFIED of dieing, myself... i believe in the afterlife--> to me there's too much out there that causes me to believe that life is precious, and that there is an afterlife. But not thinking............. that scares me. I think wayyyy too much. LOL

User35

I dont know its kinda weird for me. Ive seen A LOT of dead bodies. Ive seen people who were killed, died naturally, suicide, accidents. It's not a big deal most of the time. What gets me choked up is kids, and my loved ones. Obviously I love my family and friends and I dont want them to die, but that too I've seen a lot of.

My own death...uh idk...I dont wanna die really young on duty, I know it would tear my family and loved ones apart. I know its a reality and it could happen at anytime. I worry about going to hell too...I know god is forgiving and Im not the worst person in the world but I still have a lot of guilt for some decisions that Ive made. I dont want to go to hell

pdtb Im a Deputy Sheriff

Fataliya

I don't fear death necessarily, I fear a painful drawn out hideous death.

I hope I die when I'm very old, because I'd like to see my grandchildren, great grandchildren, and I'd like to see my children grow up and have families of their own.

I fear the death of one of my children on almost a daily basis. It's just a constant fear you have when you're a parent. Every day you think about them being safe when they're away from you, etc.

I think there is Heaven. I hope I'm right, but I won't know until I pass.

lelaelena

Oh man I'm just waiting for it to get here.
I've been clinically depressed for years, so the idea of a quick end is mighty appealing.
Although I know if I died young it would really hurt the people who care about me, so I force myself out of bed every day and try to live purposefully.
It's terrible to say because I know there are millions of people out there who would give a limb to live my life, but I honestly am sickly jealous of everyone. Even like AIDS babies.
I should go straight to hell for saying that but I guess it's my own sick head just wanting to say it.

NutMeg

I think this is a fascinating thread, thanks chocolategoddess.

My views on death are that once we die, we're gone. Our bodies and selves go back to the earth, and we live on as a part of the world.

It's pretty painful for me to think about, because I lost someone at a young age who was very important to me and it would have been very comforting to believe in heaven, or that they were still out there somewhere. But I don't, and I can't make myself believe in something just to comfort myself.

jus.teen

DEATH...

Well, I'm not shit scared of it. But i think what scares me about it is.

1. I might feel pain
2. The subconcious belief that I will lose everything, or at least something.
3. People won't care if I'm dead. or remember me..

I kinda had a understanding of death at a young age.
i lost quite a number of my close relatives since I can remember.

But, they always watch over me ish. or 'DALAOW' meaning visit .
My grandmother & grandfather always send butterflies. (I'm thinking of getting a butterfly tattoo.)

But, i think when you die. you loose a body i guess, & your soul/spirit whatever you prefer, goes to heaven. or hell.

But, it's different for everyone.

My saying. DEATH is a reminder to live.

hotmodelchiq

I dont fear death I welcome it... Of course after Ive lived life to the fullest I want to die around 70 something maybe 80's if I havent completely lost it.... I feel so terrible for the elderly especially in America its like a return to infancy and I hope I dont have to go through that and be put in a home and all that jazz... I dont believe in "the after life" I believe you just "sleep" and I hope its QUICK and painless and Im not alone...

This might sound weird but I dont get sad when people die... Im happy for them that their soul can be at rest and not have to deal with the troubles of this world. I keep them in my heart and just imagine theyve moved or gone on a trip... and Ive had people VERY close to me die and although I miss them I am more happy...

hotmodelchiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Due to my strongly religious upbringing, I did fear death. Now that I've cast aside those beliefs, I no longer have the same fear and I am comforted now more because I do not believe in Heaven or Hell.

One thing I would like to have done after my death is to have a natural burial in the dirt somewhere or be cremated and have my ashes dumped in a forest somewhere by loved ones. Being locked away in a concrete box away from nature where it can decompose naturally... that kind of freaks me out.

Thats strange in my religion death is embraced not like suicide you know but when it does happen...

Im soooo with you on cremation I dont want to rot in a box either YUCK... I was thinking about donating my body to science... I think that would be cool

Kuuipo

I'm 46 and outlived pretty much all my family. I've accomplished projects I set out to do, I want to die before I am forced to retire because here where I live in Hawaii, many people live paycheck to paycheck because it is so expensive. Even though I only have a room, its most of the money I make. I can't afford to retire or slow down. I see plenty of homeless ick people on the way to work, middle aged and older. They are homeless because they have no family to take them in. Many of them have sores on their legs that are infected, I have met some with TB. They live at bus stops, parks, the beach. I want to die before I'm made redundant at work. (There are just not enough jobs here)
In the 90's I had an MI after a shot of imitrex. I was working in an OR and my eye and face were sagging. The surgeon said he needed me and sent me out for another nurse to give me a shot-she used the entire multidose vial in my leg, and probabley hit a vessel. I was gone for 4 minutes. Thankfully I was near the code cart. I spent a week in the cardiac unit. I saw nothing out there,I didn't see lights or loved ones or here anyone. That kinda bugged me because I am Catholic.