• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

Depotting w/ a Straight Iron

MACActress

^I depotted all my e/s without parchment paper and the heat seemed to do nothing to the pan or the shadow. I did not completely break any shadows from this method, but I had a lot of chips. But I just figured I had to hold it on my straight iron longer and it worked perfectly =) My straightener goes up to 400 degrees, but I found the best temp was 250.

xiahe

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvetteJeannine
In the pics, the e/s pot is laying directly underneath the flatiron unprotected (the parchment paper is sitting underneath the insert). My question is, wouldn't the e/s in the unprotected pan be damaged by the heat of the flatiron? Could somebody who's tried this method educate me? I've never depotted and I'd like to try this method but am unsure
th_dunno.gif
about the e/s product being damaged by the heat. Thanks.

i've had no problems with "heat damage" from using a flat iron...but even so, wouldn't using the candle method or baking pots in the oven pose the same problem if eyeshadows were to be damaged from heat? in the candle method, you pop out the plastic insert and hold it over a candle flame until it melts. if that (or baking them) doesn't damage the shadows, then heating them on a flat iron doesn't, either!

you just gotta make sure you leave the plastic insert on the flat iron long enough in order for the glue to become pliable so that it's easy to pop out the pan. i had a minor casualty with my satellite dreams eyeshadow
weeping.gif
...after leaving it on the flat iron for about 30 seconds or so, i took it off and tried to pry it out. well apparently i guess that wasn't long enough. i took the knife and tried to pry it out, but then the knife slipped and took a chunk out of my shadow. T___T but shit happens, i guess.

oh, and be careful. the plastic may be hot, but those pans are SCORCHING. don't burn yourself. XD

xSazx

I finally tried this today! Wow, it was sooo easy, I mean it looked easy from the tutorial but I didnt except it to be that easy.

My only casualty was the first shadow I tried, I wasnt sure how long to leave it & as I was trying to get it out with a screwdriver i slipped & took out a chunk
ssad.gif
Oh well, I'm glad I tried it with my worst shadow first before moving on to my faves!

& yes as xiahe said, the pans are so hottt :| the plastic wasnt too hot so I thought I'd be fine, but noo, OUCH! So make sure to used a peice of tissue or something to pull it out with!

shamelessmuse

Thank you! This is the easiest way to depot ever! I did 12 last night in under an hour. I did find that on my flat iron set on 25 it didn't take long at all. The center of the bottom would become translucent when it was ready, I just pushed up from that area and out they came.

sincola

It seems sooo easy!!!!! I've never depotted any e/s, but I'm going to try this method next week. I hope not to damage them!!

Thanks for this tutorial!!!!!
clapping.gif

ChynaSkye

best idea yet! I spent last sunday night depotting my 150+ shadows (didn;t even realise how many i had!) and this method rocked! only chipped a few in the process which happened towards the begining of my process... after the first few i just let them heat up a little longer and it was smooth sailing.

question: does anyone know where to get very large pallettes that fit MAC colors? i eally need them for freelancing so any ideas will help. thx ;-)

banana

Thanks! I depotted 3 eyeshadows tonight and it was so easy. No casualties and the plastic inserts kept their shape so I just popped them back in to their pots so I can use them for b2m.

Ranjana

What a brilliant idea... i tried depotting only a few days ago (using the candle method as i wasn't aware of this one) and i managed to damage 3 or 4 eyeshadows....looking forward to trying this new method.

2_pink

Ok, so i got a 15 empty pan palette today, and was very very impatient to depot. So i skipped the magnets & parchment paper.

Good results =)

I got a lil bit of plastic goo on the straightener, but nothin bad. No fatalities, and only took me about 30-45 minutes...thats with prep time and chasing my dog around telling him to stop barking at 3:30 in the morning!!!...ok. So all in all, it was fun. I need to get another cuz i have more e/s than i realized. This is gonna be so much fun, and more organized, im loving it.

petitsinge

i bought a roll at Michael's (craft store)

It seems a bit thick for inserting into the palette though so I think I am going to use those magnetic sheets that you can buy from like staples or other office supply store (the kind that are "magnetic business cards" that you can print on)

this method is beyond awesome.
th_worship.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiahe
do you think you can buy that @ a craft store?

Gracecat

Actually Michaels had the best magnet paper I've tried yet.

It's with the regular magnet selection, maybe a 6x4 sheet. If you look close, there's a teddybear magnet on the label as "suggested use".

THIN! THIN! THIN! And they work well. My depots don't stand up higher than the pro pots
smiles.gif

And yes, this is the best method I've discovered yet! Thank you
smiles.gif

midgetfury74

i used this method to depot my blush and on the first one i got a little bit of chippage, i think i didnt let the glue melt enough. but i did it on two more last night and it worked great,just had to leave it for a bit longer. Now i have a complete blush palette and more empties to go into my stash for the upcoming collections. I just also have to add this....After using this method i had enough empties to get all the A Muse l/s with B2M. WOOP WOOP!

sarzio

Just wondering... do you use your straightener with steam or without (I have both settings on mine) thanks

ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarzio
Just wondering... do you use your straightener with steam or without (I have both settings on mine) thanks

without!

sarzio

I bought these magnet strips but I'm wondering if they would be too thick they are about 2.5 mm thick. Also, is it better to have just a strip of magnet or a whole circle, or does it matter? TIA

Latest posts