• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

Digital Retouching 101 - Lesson 1 - Hair Color

GlamDazzled

This Tut is for 'EYE<3COLOUR' and 'sxychika1014'
wavey.gif

This is my first tut so bare with me you guys
lol.gif

ok lets begin!

Things Needed:
Adobe PhotoShop 7
A little patience

Step 1 - Open the Picture you want to alter in PS

I'm using this picture:
LOWLIGHTED_BLONDE_HAIR.jpg

pstut1.jpg

Step 2 - Make a New Layer

pstut2.jpg

So the Layer Pallette should look like this:

pstut3.jpg

Step 3 - Pick the color you want to change the hair to from the top color box

pstut4.jpg

Step 4 - Fill the layer with that color with the PAINT BUCKET TOOL

pstut5.jpg

pstut6.jpg

Note: The picture I'm using was just a picture of hair...more than likely your using a picture of a person and you probaly dont want to turn them the same color as the hair lol so instead use a BRUSH instead of the PAINT BUCKET TOOL

pstut12.jpg

pstut13.jpg

Dont worry if the color is kind of off or unrealistic looking...we'll fix that in a sec.

Step 5 - Change the layer mode to SOFT LIGHT (at this point you can play around with the different color modes to get the LOOK you want)

pstut7.jpg

So it should look something like this:

pstut8.jpg

Now we can adjust the color better

Step 6 - Now go to IMAGE > ADJUSTMENTS > HUE/SATURATIONS

pstut9.jpg

Step 7 - Click the COLORIZE check box in the far right corner

Step 8 - Now Slide the 3 sliders to get your desired color

Hue = The color (as in RED,ORANGE,YELLOW,GREEN and so on)

Saturation = The shade of that Hue

Lightness = The strength of that Hue and Saturation

(I just made those definitions up they might be wrong lol...but you get it right?)

pstut9.jpg

pstut10.jpg

Step 9 - Now if you are happy with the new color (YAY!) Merge All the Layers

pstut11.jpg

And THATS IT!! SOOO EASY RIGHT?!

So you should have something kind of like this:

pstut14.jpg

k hope that helps! toodlez!
smiles.gif

Eye<3Colour

omy goodness!! you rock!!!! thank you!! hmmm, i wanna call in sick tommorow to play around w/my PS!!! thank you so much!!!

GlamDazzled

lol urwelcome!...I thought it was going to be a pain to do...but it was actually kinda fun. glad I could help
smiles.gif

GlamDazzled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye<3Colour
ha!! right on i did it!!! thank you so much!! that was easy!!

YAAAAYYYYYY!!!!
eyelove.gif

Eye<3Colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamDazzled
YAAAAYYYYYY!!!!
eyelove.gif

im stuck on trying to change my eye color. one tut. i went to, has had to leave something out cause its not working...

Eye<3Colour

if you have time, could you do one on changing eye color. the tutorials im looking at are not helping!! but only if you want to and have time!!
smiles.gif

kat121085

Wow! Thanks for posting this. I've been looking all over for PS tutorials! I just spent an hour switching around hair and eye colors, so fun!

Eye<3Colour

i hop she doesnt get mad, i know she comes here sometimes. but this is what i did to a friend of mine from another message board. im so bad, i called in work today cause i wanted to play today!! this was my first real attempt!!

BEFORE
6807522618308f0df11133365586.jpg

AFTER
she now has green eyes, smoother skin, blonde hair and a grey sweater, whiter teeth and brighter lipgloss!!!.. how fun!!

loriphotoshop1133365422.jpg

stacey

how much dif is 7 from 5.5? i know there are a few tools they added that aren't in my version.

stacey

well that's really good to know cause I'm getting a copy from my husband's buddy. i can't wait to get back into photoshop again.