Disapointed with new MSF

leppy

Hey guys.. I am not a fan of too much glitter except on special occasions but this MSF was so beautiful I couldn't resist it so I've been playing with it a lot since I got it, and I've come up with some tips that have so far at least really made it work for me.

Firstly, those pretty platinum silver veins running through the skinfinish are a good deal of the problem. If you got one that doesn't have much platinum veining, consider yourself lucky! They look beautiful and certainly add to its appeal in the pot, but they actually consist of large pieces of glitter. Large being relative to the fine pearl of skinfinishes in general, despite all the hubbub beind made about it, most shimmery or glittery products are as bad if not worse.

Anyway, if you take a pair of grooming scissors or anything like that and poke the skinfinish in the bronzier areas, you'll notice its pretty solid. You'd have to press to push a chunk out of it, which of course you should not do! However, if you even touch the platinum veining lightly it starts to crumble. Now this next part is completely up to you whether you want to do it, I don't want anyone complaining to me later that they don't like the way their skinfinish looks now, but I gently scraped out the large areas of silver, and found it did not go too deep. You won't be able to get all of it, or at least I don't suggest you try digging out every little bit or you might end up with a pile o' shimmer left instead of a skinfinish. Anyway, getting rid of those large areas is a good start. Using a large brush to "use" up a couple of layers of product helps as well.

On to the application: Do NOT apply this skinfinish with a fluffy brush or a skunk brush or any such thing. Apply it with a regular, semi-dense blush brush that doesn't fluff everything about that much. Trust me, it is not too much colour applied with a blush brush. I'm an NC15 and if its not too much on me, it isn't on you either. I believe the one I use is a #116 but it could be a #129 and I'm too lazy to go look
winks.gif
Edit: Forgot to mention that loading up the brush & then gently blowing on it will get even more of the silver glitter off as its usually just hanging to the fluffy bits at the end.

Apply it the way you would blush, but once the product has transferred to your cheeks from the brush, use the brush to buff it into your skin, at least 5 round strokes, and then move to the next cheek. Buffing also improves the pore magnifying effect that skinfinishes sometimes give as well.

Next take a large fluffy powder brush such as MAC #150 and sweep it starting at your forehead and in diagonal motion downward and off your cheeks. Use the fluff brush to spot remove any silver shimmer you see under your eyes or anywhere else, as it doesn't cling to your skin the way the rest of the skinfinish does.

Most if not all of the larger silver shimmer will be gone by this point, leaving a beautiful pale bronze glow that has much finer silver and gold/bronze shimmer when you look up close.

Sounds like a lot of work, but honestly I believe its worth every bit of effort as the end result is so beautiful! Anyway, I hope this is helpful to someone!

PrettyKitty

Sounds like how I tried to use my Blushing Femme powder... but I can't remove the silver glitters! With a fluffy brush it's worst, but anyway I can't wear it.

leppy

The silver shimmer doesn't seem to have much *grab* in this. I brushed them away easily.

I guess its important to make sure your foundation is 100% dry before applying it as well, I put it on bare skin so its got nothing wet to stick to.

Wow! You sure have some great tips!
th_worship.gif

But I'm wondering how much Naked You is similar to Shimpagne... They look pretty much the same to me, so if you are able to get Shimpagne, it may be the best solution to get the same look without the effort.

Or am I wrong and Shimpagne doesn't look like Naked You at all?

Do you have a picture of Naked You on you cheeks? I would love to see it and compare!!!
smiles.gif

midnightlouise

Thanks for the tips Leppy! I might go into the store & see if they will let me pick which one I want lol! If not I'll be doctoring mine up like you did
greengrin.gif

Shawna

I don't know if this will work for everybody, but what I have been doing is applying my skinfinish right on top of moisturiser or foundation and then putting my sheer select powder over it. This way, I get a subtle glow instead of hunks of glitter.

foreveratorifan

shimpagne is lighter, i usually just get a glow with it and naked you i get a bronzing affect (i'm an NW15)

i actually put it on with the 187 but I tap it on my wrist to get chunks o' glitter out of it...that does help too

mine must not have too much of the silver/glitter veining in it (luckily) because i just dont notice it all that much!

jeanna

wow!!! super helpful post!!
i suspected that the glittery-ness came from the silver veining, and now i know! i'm going to buy naked you tomorrow and choose the one with the least of the silver veining
winks.gif

glamella

Quote:
Originally Posted by leppy
The silver shimmer doesn't seem to have much *grab* in this. I brushed them away easily.

I guess its important to make sure your foundation is 100% dry before applying it as well, I put it on bare skin so its got nothing wet to stick to.

I agree. The glitter flew away for the most part and I ended up w/ the same amount of shimmer on my face as with the other MSFs.

That for all the info!

BadPrincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne O'Nymous
But I'm wondering how much Naked You is similar to Shimpagne... They look pretty much the same to me

This is what I been asking my hubby.. which should I keep because to me they look very similar! He told me just keep them both! But I was thiniking if they are so similar take one back & get something else! I just can't decide
ssad.gif

Here's a pic of both mine.
418900.jpeg

leppy

Shimpagne was a bit too cool/silvery on me, but I'm pretty warm. I kept thinking I'd have to settle for shimpagne and try to swap for it or something, but now that I have Naked You I'm totally satisfied, glitter and all!

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by leppy
Shimpagne was a bit too cool/silvery on me, but I'm pretty warm. I kept thinking I'd have to settle for shimpagne and try to swap for it or something, but now that I have Naked You I'm totally satisfied, glitter and all!

I thought Shimpagne would look the way that Naked You does. So I was excited to get it. I think Naked You is darker and warmer. I tried Shimpagne and had the same problem with Porcelain Pink - they made me look ashy.

2_pink

Hmm..i guess i didnt love it enough to go through all the work you did. Once i saw how much glitter was flying around, i exchanged it the next day for Body Suit & Of Corset.

Kristen

Thanks for the tips.. I've been kicking myself for the last 2 days for getting it since it was so glittery. Now I have a fix!

blueyedlady87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne O'Nymous
Wow! You sure have some great tips!
th_worship.gif

But I'm wondering how much Naked You is similar to Shimpagne... They look pretty much the same to me, so if you are able to get Shimpagne, it may be the best solution to get the same look without the effort.

Or am I wrong and Shimpagne doesn't look like Naked You at all?

Do you have a picture of Naked You on you cheeks? I would love to see it and compare!!!
smiles.gif

I personally think that Naked You is tad bronzy-er than Shimpagne. At least on me. I'm thinking I'll do a comparison tomorrow.

Latest posts