Discussion about moral/ethical/political aspects of Rodarte for MAC

Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by katred
I guess there's always one who has to disagree with everything and in this case it's me. I think that there is a really ghostly beauty to the way she's made up and to what she's wearing. In fact, the picture makes the atmosphere of the collection come alive for me to the point where I want to look at the collection again. I know it's all marketing, but for me, it's effective.

(However, I think most are going to agree with you, Susanne and, objectively, I can see it.)

I agree with you. Before seeing the promo pic I wasn't a least bit interested in this collection. The promo picture caught my interest, which is probably fruitless. If the collection is not going to be available in Sweden the chances that it will be available over here are pretty non-existent.

I hadn't heard about Juarez before reading about this collection in Temptalia. With this collection both MAC and Rodarte raise awareness of abuse and violence towards women in Juarez. Therefore I'm not least bit offended about the product names.

User38

Re: MAC - Rodarte Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMaryJane
I agree. I, for one, didn't know anything about this until this collection. I think it is getting it out there. Has MAC said anything about why they chose to do this collection? If they are trying to get the word out, I can respect that.

However, if someone wants to boycott, I can understand why. I do think it is in poor taste not to donate any of the money (if that's the case).

nope.gif
no, it was not any kind of raising consciousness issues, anyone who reads the newspapers or internet knows about Juarez, the druglords, the gangs, and the almost slave labor -- they simply blew it and are now trying to say they were inspired by the ghostly beauty. MAC is now offering to donate some of their proceeds to a fund for the women of Juarez... who knows what will happen then. I personally think that it is tasteless
cry.gif

User38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne
The promo pic is..... strange. ... Not beautiful whatever beauty is.

this whole collection -- from an esthetic point of view is not a thing of beauty.. the social issues are just an added sore spot.
th_dunno.gif

cindiaz

I live in SoCal but I was born and raised in Juarez until I was 25,my first job was in a factory and because I was studying to become an Industrial Engineer i kept working on factories, I didn't have a car so I had to take buses to work at 5 in the morning and when i got back from school at 10:30 or 11 at night and it was very scary (there was always some guy asking if I wanted a ride, and that happened to almost any girl in their twenties or younger) Thank God that nothing happened to me but I still have my sisters and my nieces living over there.
Right now my mom and sisters said that that doesn't happened anymore or at least is not reported that much because of the drug war that's going on but still I think it's a great idea from mac and Rodarte if they donate something to the families of those girls.
I think mac collections are just that,collections of beautiful makeup and that in no way they think(mac or the people collaborating with them) that because of the name of a collection they're going to offend someone.
yes.gif
At least I don't feel offended because of the names but that is just my opinion.
th_wink3.gif

trulynicole

Everyone has their opinion on this. I just think it is really sad that Mac would take part in such thing. Some say that it is art; I think otherwise. The media is always trying to take things and make it normal. For example drugs, smoking and sex. In the olden days, it was taboo to talk about your sex life. Now it is like whatever! From what I can see, for Mac to come up with names like 'factory' and 'Juarez' is just sadening.

All I hope is that they give a good donation to the needy people in Juarez although they wouldn't have to much to give, considering many people are skipping out of the collection.

Oh and nothing really gets my attention anyway.

Shadowy Lady

collection looks boring, I was gonna pass before I read the background info anyway. Now I will be double passing. I can't understand how anyone won't see this as bad taste. I'm also not convinced by MAC giving a "portion of the proceed" to the cause. There's no way they didn't know about the situation beforehand, they just wanted to make a quick buck. They're just trying to save face here.

I feel sick to my stomach :/

Camnagem

I'm wondering how the possibility of an angry/upset/offended public didn't arise in discussions about this collection before now. Surely someone in the MAC offices had to raise their hand and say "really???"...didn't they?

Donating profits? Awesome.

Waiting this long before realizing the possible negative impact this collection might have? Shocking.

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroerin
Okay, putting my politics away for the moment. I've probably irked enough people.

My thing with the promo picture is that it looks more like it's advertising a fashion line/horror flick rather than a makeup collection... I would *never* look at that and say "wow, looks like a great makeup collection is coming out!"
It does, however, look like a ghost film promo picture. I'd be curious as to what products they actually used in that photo. I do have a few products that I *may* purchase from this collection depending on the donation MAC is making.

Wow... thank you for your story!
smiles.gif
I hope your family continues to do well.

no i totally agree with this. thje promo image is just wrong.
th_dunno.gif

InspiredBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Door
If the collection is not going to be available in Sweden the chances that it will be available over here are pretty non-existent.

Actually, no. If we don't get it, then Denmark and Norway probably wont either. But Finland is in a different "market" in MAC's structure (with Estonia and Russia, IIRC), with different decision makers and thus quite possibly different decisions being made.
winks.gif

Blushbaby

I had no interest in this collection anyway as the promo pics as somebody mentioned earlier look like something out of a horror movie and the shades also don't interest me.

I find it very hard to believe that MAC didn't think of the Juarez murders when they were all sat in the boardroom, but obviously brushed it aside thinking we were all to thick to have ever watched the news!

As for announcing that some of the profits will be donated, not good enough, ALL profits from the Rodarte collection should be given to aid the factory workers in Mexico.

spunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredBlue
Actually, no. If we don't get it, then Denmark and Norway probably wont either. But Finland is in a different "market" in MAC's structure (with Estonia and Russia, IIRC), with different decision makers and thus quite possibly different decisions being made.
winks.gif

this is a bit off-topic, but is Sweden in the same market as the UK according to mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushbaby
I had no interest in this collection anyway as the promo pics as somebody mentioned earlier look like something out of a horror movie and the shades also don't interest me.

I find it very hard to believe that MAC didn't think of the Juarez murders when they were all sat in the boardroom, but obviously brushed it aside thinking we were all to think to have ever watched the news!

As for announcing that some of the profits will be donated, not good enough, ALL profits from the Rodarte collection should be given to aid the factory workers in Mexico.

ITA. there's no way in hell they could give products names like that and not be aware of the furore it would cause. and i think all profits from this collection should be donated too. it's not like mac are struggling to pay the bills, and think of the amount of good the profits from one small collection could do.

Boasorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by shontay07108
I think Mac tried to be edgy and it's blown up in their face and rightfully so. While I in no way think racism is behind this, it's in very poor taste. To not know there would be some dust up is just ignorance on their part.

I'm skipping this entire collection b/c the colors don't interest me at all, I don't care for the brand and this just doesn't seem to offer anything to those with my complexion. The poor names only cement my feelings on that.

I agree 100%, Shontay. And not sure what's up with some of theses comments online everywhere comparing it to totally different things. Art? The Holocaust?...NO
But contraversy aside, this collection is a big bore for me and my skin tone...VV here I come.

sungelly87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinstar
I actually did not know about this. Yet I do read newspapers and watch news on TV. I also know I'm not alone in saying this. So whether you agree with the idea behind this collection or not, MAC actually did raise awareness about this issue.

I agree. I live in Texas and didn't know anything about this situation. Even if I did, I didn't care to register it in my head. But NOW it is there.

I'm sorry but people might flame me for this but I still think it's funny that we're so riled up about them naming n/p "Juarez" and "Factory". "Juarez" is a town, for those of us who don't know anything about the situation. Let me just emphasize, A LOT of people don't know about the situation, and a lot of people still won't know about the situation. You know that "Juarez" is also a surname right? As far as "Factory" goes, let's just get riled up for anything named after a place where they make things. American Apparel has a nail polish named "Factory" oh yeah let's get on Andy Warhol too.

Yes yes I understand, it's the situation, the context, and the names. Is anyone an artist? I think Rodarte's statement says it all. MAC was very apologetic but Rodarte? They stand by their inspiration and the root of it, which wasn't to highlight the atrocity but emphasize the landscape, the places.

So to make up for those who are boycotting, I think I shall haul everything from this collection.

Rinstar

^Especially if MAC is donating money to help victims now. I too am going to purchase items from this with wild abandon. 16 of each MES please.

TheTeenageMuse

At least the discussion here is civilized. Over in Temptalia-land things are starting to get ugly.

I don't think that MACs intentions were bad. Themes in art are oft. inspired by real-world issues. The difference here probably being that you don't consume art/a fashion show. In the same way you consume makeup products. I think that the promo pictures inspired by Juarez are excellent. As they reflect the problems faced there.

Just thinking about my own country if MAC were to do a collection around native people and name a product Residential Schools. I'd be really upset. Just because what happened in those schools should not be connected to makeup. But if they were to do a photoshoot of an interpretation of a Residential school then i'd be okay with that...

I will still support MAC and will understand if others don't. I still like this collection but I don't think i'll buy factory or juarez. If MAC sells postcards for a charity in Juarez i'll definitely purchase it.

Shadowy Lady

I won't boycott MAC, but my money will not go towards this collection, it will go toward helping the women in Juarez. Does anyone know a link to help send money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
I agree 100%, Shontay. And not sure what's up with some of theses comments online everywhere comparing it to totally different things. Art? The Holocaust?...NO
But contraversy aside, this collection is a big bore for me and my skin tone...VV here I come.

I don't think anyone compared the collection to Holocaust, they compared the femicide happening in Juarez to it which is fair IMO. We are all people and in my mind all equal. Any form of injustice and genocide should be condemned. It's not horrible only if it happened to European Jews, it's equally disgusting if it happened to African in Rwanda, to Armenian in Turkey and to Latina women in Mexico. No human life is more precious than an other.The holocaust is very well documented but many of the tragedies i listed above are not.

I don't believe MAC wanted to promote violence or be racist or anything but poor taste is what this is, also bad PR decisions. It def was not their intention to make awareness, and for that I'm disappointed. Especially from a company that is all about charities (read: Viva Glam campaign).

Steel Magnolia

Being an Irish lass, I can say that the majority of europeans have never heard of Juarez. This collection has made us aware of the issues and I think thats a fab thing. Hmm.. Maybe something good will come of the collection (apart from lovely makeups!) as its helping to spread awareness! Also, Mac are donating a portion of the profits so I shall be purchasing the mineralize shadows, beauty powder, and maybe a few other things.
smiles.gif

amy04

For anybody interested in a sort of different, evolving perspective on this collection, I've written up a fairly long post about it on my blog. I'd love to hear what you guys think, especially if it makes you think of the situation differently.

Excerpt: "As a make-up artist and a feminist (did you know those things could be combined?), I feel that on a larger scale it brings up some interesting topics, particularly the subjects of expression and commentary, and to what extent they are accepted, and in what forms, in the fashion world."

Swirlgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady

I don't think anyone compared the collection to Holocaust, they compared the femicide happening in Juarez to it which is fair IMO. We are all people and in my mind all equal. Any form of injustice and genocide should be condemned. It's not horrible only if it happened to European Jews, it's equally disgusting if it happened to African in Rwanda, to Armenian in Turkey and to Latina women in Mexico. No human life is more precious than an other.The holocaust is very well documented but many of the tragedies i listed above are not.

I don't believe MAC wanted to promote violence or be racist or anything but poor taste is what this is, also bad PR decisions. It def was not their intention to make awareness, and for that I'm disappointed. Especially from a company that is all about charities (read: Viva Glam campaign).

These are my thoughts exactly. I'm disappointed that it was up to consumers to point out to MAC how they were exploiting the violence against women in this region of Mexico. I hope they do fulfill their promise that they will find a way to donate some of the profits from this collection to help those in need.

I find the promo image to convey the ghostly/haunting imagery evocative of the region. I feel the spirits of the women who's lives have been sacrificed in the picture. It is not a traditional beauty shot. It has an artistic edge, which both MAC and Rodarte are known for. Although I personally don't love the image, I do think it is evocative and it's somber quality are appropriate for the collection.

I will be picking up several items from this collection, not because of the controversy or the charity (but I will be following this aspect closely to see if MAC follows through), but because these are the types of colors I love and wear often.

Boasorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinstar
I actually did not know about this. Yet I do read newspapers and watch news on TV. I also know I'm not alone in saying this. So whether you agree with the idea behind this collection or not, MAC actually did raise awareness about this issue.

As my one of my high school teachers always told me "You have to look past the local paper and CNN to know what's going on in the world" But yes MAC did in a weird way raise awareness with this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungelly87
I agree. I live in Texas and didn't know anything about this situation. Even if I did, I didn't care to register it in my head. But NOW it is there.

I'm sorry but people might flame me for this but I still think it's funny that we're so riled up about them naming n/p "Juarez" and "Factory". "Juarez" is a town, for those of us who don't know anything about the situation. Let me just emphasize, A LOT of people don't know about the situation, and a lot of people still won't know about the situation. You know that "Juarez" is also a surname right? As far as "Factory" goes, let's just get riled up for anything named after a place where they make things. American Apparel has a nail polish named "Factory" oh yeah let's get on Andy Warhol too.

Yes yes I understand, it's the situation, the context, and the names. Is anyone an artist? I think Rodarte's statement says it all. MAC was very apologetic but Rodarte? They stand by their inspiration and the root of it, which wasn't to highlight the atrocity but emphasize the landscape, the places.

So to make up for those who are boycotting, I think I shall haul everything from this collection.

And I think it's funny that YOU think it's funny that people wouldn't know Juarez is a surname and a town... was that a serious statement? LOL
I won't boycott MAC, but my money will not go towards this collection, it will go toward helping the women in Juarez. Does anyone know a link to help send money?

Latest posts