Discussion about moral/ethical/political aspects of Rodarte for MAC

Boasorte

Re: MAC - Rodarte Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
I won't boycott MAC, but my money will not go towards this collection, it will go toward helping the women in Juarez. Does anyone know a link to help send money?

I don't think anyone compared the collection to Holocaust, they compared the femicide happening in Juarez to it which is fair IMO. We are all people and in my mind all equal. Any form of injustice and genocide should be condemned. It's not horrible only if it happened to European Jews, it's equally disgusting if it happened to African in Rwanda, to Armenian in Turkey and to Latina women in Mexico. No human life is more precious than an other.The holocaust is very well documented but many of the tragedies i listed above are not.

I don't believe MAC wanted to promote violence or be racist or anything but poor taste is what this is, also bad PR decisions. It def was not their intention to make awareness, and for that I'm disappointed. Especially from a company that is all about charities (read: Viva Glam campaign).

I was not talking about the comments here on Specktra. I have read on a couple of sites where people have taken this to the extreme and mentioned other tragedies, i.e the Holocaust.

Boasorte

Quote:
I won't boycott MAC, but my money will not go towards this collection, it will go toward helping the women in Juarez. Does anyone know a link to help send money?

I don't think anyone compared the collection to Holocaust, they compared the femicide happening in Juarez to it which is fair IMO. We are all people and in my mind all equal. Any form of injustice and genocide should be condemned. It's not horrible only if it happened to European Jews, it's equally disgusting if it happened to African in Rwanda, to Armenian in Turkey and to Latina women in Mexico. No human life is more precious than an other.The holocaust is very well documented but many of the tragedies i listed above are not.

I don't believe MAC wanted to promote violence or be racist or anything but poor taste is what this is, also bad PR decisions. It def was not their intention to make awareness, and for that I'm disappointed. Especially from a company that is all about charities (read: Viva Glam campaign).

I was not talking about the comments here on Specktra. I have read on a couple of sites where people have taken this and mentioned other tragedies, i.e the Holocaust.

Shimmer

Make another thread to carry on the social and political implications of the collection. Keep it light here.

sungelly87

I wonder if MAC is going to pull this collection since bloggers are "uniting"...

s_lost

I don't think so, but they should do a real campaign to bring attention to their "inspiration". I really hope so.

musicalhouses

I agree with s_lost, I'm hoping they'll donate more than just 'a portion' of the profits to the related charities. I was outraged by this, and I would like to see ALL the proceeds to go charity, just like Viva Glam. I also hope they do more for Rodarte in future, other than just supposedly (and unintentionally) 'raising awareness' about it.

But colours-wise, I didn't like this collection at all. I already have Mauvement (and now I'll never look at it the same way again), and the only thing that interested me was the blush, it looked like such a pretty pink. I'll wait it out and see, although I doubt I'll be getting anything, if at all. I'm only NC20, and I feel like these colours are quite unwearable for me, other than Mauvement and the blush.

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
I was not talking about the comments here on Specktra. I have read on a couple of sites where people have taken this and mentioned other tragedies, i.e the Holocaust.

I wasn't talking about comments here either, but I might have misunderstood you, my apologies
smiles.gif
I meant the comments on Temptalia's site were ppl were comparing femicide in Juarez to Holocaust and I thought that was fair.

Either way, let's wait and see what will come out of this. Meanwhile in terms of colour palette this remains the most boring MAC collection I've ever seen

panther27

I look forward to this collection,some of the colors are really pretty.I don't care for the lipglosses tho.I want Quincenera blush Softly Drifting bp,the nail lacquers Ghost Town ls and the pink ls,also the reddish mes.

sungelly87

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalhouses
I would like to see ALL the proceeds to go charity, just like Viva Glam.

I think a lot of people would, however I don't think that'll happen unless Rodarte also agrees to the terms.

As far as the colors go, I'm really interested in the Rose State l/s, the beauty powder, and the blush. I also want the Badlands pigment.

lovesongx

Just wanted to agree with some of the other posters before me, I think MAC is in really bad taste with this collection.
I understand that Rodarte are taking 'inspiration' from the area but are MAC really trying to tell us that we should want to look like poor murdered girls?
MAC should definitely donate 100% of the profits.

This reminds me of when the 'World Trade Center' film was released, fair enough they raised awareness of what actually happened to lots of people, but they also made millions of dollars for themselves which just didn't seem right to me.

Blushbaby

Quote:
Either way, let's wait and see what will come out of this. Meanwhile in terms of colour palette this remains the most boring MAC collection I've ever seen

Absolutely! The shades are dire, dire DIRE!! One of the blandest collections I've ever seen - hardly a true representation of Mexican culture.

My thoughts on the MAC Rodarte collection.

I'm really keen to see what MAC's next move will be as the backlash against this collection is now more intense than ever.

I don't think a separate thread should be made to discuss the political aspects of the collection. We're all adults here and this thread hasn't turned into a slanging match. This is the Rodarte discussion thread and we're discussing all aspects of it.

Keeping it all light and fluffy is exactly what MAC and Rodarte would want. We're intelligent women, not airheads who only come alive when applying lipgloss or seeking that must-have lipstick! I for one am really enjoying reading everybody's views on it, irrespective of whether they differ from my own or not.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushbaby

I don't think a separate thread should be made to discuss the political aspects of the collection. We're all adults here and this thread hasn't turned into a slanging match. This is the Rodarte discussion thread and we're discussing all aspects of it.

Keeping it all light and fluffy is exactly what MAC and Rodarte would want. We're intelligent women, not airheads who only come alive when applying lipgloss or seeking that must-have lipstick! I for one am really enjoying reading everybody's views on it, irrespective of whether they differ from my own or not.

I understand that may not be what you want.

I also understand why there are different sections within the forums on this site.

Please respect that.

s_lost

Quote:
Only for the most sophisticated among us, the rage for Rodarte is on!

When I think MAC can't make things worse...

Blushbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
I understand that may not be what you want.

I also understand why there are different sections within the forums on this site.

Please respect that.

I calmly responded to a call for a separate thread to be made and simply put my opinion forward explaining why I didn't think it was necessary. I'm not the only person who has commented on the Juarez controversy and I won't be the last. Please don't patronise me.

I'll keep quiet now in case I find myself banned from the forum for daring to have an opinion.

musicalhouses

As one of the bloggers who spoke out against the Rodarte incident, I've had my say on my blog and I'll keep it cool here. But I'd just like to point out (in part because of the flame comments I've been getting) that while MAC probably didn't intend to offend anyone, Rodarte did in fact base their collection partly on the surreal landscape, and partly on the factory girls. Style.com reports that Rodarte was "interested in the troubled border town of Ciudad Juárez; the hazy, dreamlike quality of the landscape there; and the maquiladora workers going to the factory in the middle of the night." (source: Rodarte Fall 2010 Ready-to-Wear Collection on Style.com: Runway Review --> not my blog, not affiliated etc.) They did indeed see the girls and decide the collection could be based partly off them. And they did in fact have Juarez in mind. I think MAC may have overlooked these, because you don't see any of this in their press release, but their collaborators did have that in mind.

I don't know if this information helps your buying decision (at least MAC wasn't the originator of the concept) or hurts it (what, someone did indeed base the collection partly off the factory girls), but I hope this info helps whoever it might be relevant to, since it seems like people are partly basing their buying decisions on this point.

Personally, I'm going to wait this whole thing out before buying anything, although I don't think I'll be getting anything at all. Colors-wise, I'm a neutrals kind of girl, so white lipstick isn't quite my thing to begin with.

ChloeCariad

Some interesting comments here.

I'll be surprised if MAC pull this collection though. I can see them changing their decision on how much of the profits go to charity (IE to 100%).

For me, it doesn't matter where the concept started, MAC, if they didn't agree with Rodarte's choice of names, shouldn't have proceeded. They are a big enough company, that one failed collaboration wouldn't have hurt them so much.

If they truly weren't aware of what they were doing, heads should most certainly roll, ignorance is no excuse.

If they had created this as a charity collection in the first place, I doubt the furore would be anywhere near what is now. It would certainly change my feelings about it.

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member

Oh boy,this whole drama around the Rodarte collection is starting to annoy me.I mean not here on Specktra,but everywhere.Even on my own german blog.And I only read like 10 % of what I see about it on forums and blogs.
I think it's a beautiful collection and I find nothing wrong with it.If you don't like,don't buy it.As simple as that.
Someone commented on my blog it would be the same as if a lipstick would be named Auschwitz.Now that's where I draw the line.
I really have to calm myself down,I would like to say a lot of things to that and to the people who are oh-so-outraged about this collection,but I rather don't even start. *taking deep breath*

styrch

Hi. I didn't see a separate thread to comment on this discussion from the political aspect. Otherwise I'd be happy to move this there this there...

I did get angry, like others. But I want to direct that anger toward something positive. I'm just trying to gather a list of charities for donation and actually doing something to try to help (even if it's small). If you know of any, please let me know. You can find my list (such as it is) here. Please help me add additional charities. Thanks.

sss215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naynadine
Oh boy,this whole drama around the Rodarte collection is starting to annoy me.

I have a feeling that when the collection is released, it may cause a stir then as well. There are tons of MAC customers that do not follow the early chatter on unreleased collections on-line. Some people are going to see the line in person, not even knowing about the Rodarte inspiration to begin with and they may not be happy with some of the product names, especially if they follow these events. They may address their issues with the artists in the stores and at the counters. Since the MUA's are going to be out there when the line is releases, I hope MAC prepares their artists for any backlash about the line they may receive.