Discussion about moral/ethical/political aspects of Rodarte for MAC

twiztdlilangel

Re: MAC - Rodarte Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sss215
I have a feeling that when the collection is released, it may cause a stir then as well. There are tons of MAC customers that do not follow the early chatter on unreleased collections on-line. Some people are going to see the line in person, not even knowing about the Rodarte inspiration to begin with and they may not be happy with some of the product names, especially if they follow these events. They may address their issues with the artists in the stores and at the counters. Since the MUA's are going to be out there when the line is releases, I hope MAC prepares their artists for any backlash about the line they may receive.

I think you are right! It could get very ugly for those poor artists.

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungelly87
I wonder if MAC is going to pull this collection since bloggers are "uniting"...

i highly doubt mac will pull the collection due to bloggers 'uniting' over it. if anything they will love all the extra publicity they are getting for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushbaby
I calmly responded to a call for a separate thread to be made and simply put my opinion forward explaining why I didn't think it was necessary. I'm not the only person who has commented on the Juarez controversy and I won't be the last. Please don't patronise me.

I'll keep quiet now in case I find myself banned from the forum for daring to have an opinion.

oh please don't think that.
nope.gif
all opinions are welcome here! i think it's just that because it is such a high conversation topic perhaps people could talk about their opinions and such on the themes in the deep thoughts or chatter section of the forum rather than where the make up talk goes. This goes for all threads and not just this one. and i really don't think Shimmer was just isolating you.
nope.gif

s_lost

I’m happy that this debate was created despite MAC and Rodarte (because, really, they didn’t bring any awareness towards the situation, the discussion was created after some informed and conscious consumers started to talk about their indignation and now MAC is trying to minimize damages).

I think it’s really important to talk about it, and not just admire the pretty colors. This way, more people can make a conscious choice about buying or not the products. A lot of people don’t know about Juarez.

If my post is not adequate to this thread I apologize. I didn’t find a specific thread about the social implications about this collection (even though I too think that they're not different things. Every collection has its background discussed in the regular thread. What is the problem? Criticize MAC? Make someone uncomfortable? )

Blushbaby

Oops, double post - didn't realise you'd already posted about MAC changing the name of the products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD84
oh please don't think that. all opinions are welcome here! i think it's just that because it is such a high conversation topic perhaps people could talk about their opinions and such on the themes in the deep thoughts or chatter section of the forum rather than where the make up talk goes. This goes for all threads and not just this one. and i really don't think Shimmer was just isolating you.

It'll take more than that to get rid of me, I love chatting with you guys too much. Thank you xx

I agree...I am still interested in these products. It isn't a look you would do daily but it is so intriguing...

I don't think there is going to be too much backlash or controversy at the counter at all...Maybe where I live there won't be. I live in a small area....I don't feel the names are controversial. Factory doesn't offend me. My husband works in a factory. Working in a factory is hard work and that is what I relate it too....If I like the colors in real life I may buy them but who knows after seeing them they may not be worth it...

You cannot compare this with the Holocaust or 9-11. I agree....That is upsetting...

sss215

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC'sMyBF
Which names were offensive?

In my opinion, just about all of them.

sss215

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorjunkie
I don't think there is going to be too much backlash or controversy at the counter at all...Maybe where I live there won't be. I live in a small area....I don't feel the names are controversial. Factory doesn't offend me. My husband works in a factory. Working in a factory is hard work and that is what I relate it too....If I like the colors in real life I may buy them but who knows after seeing them they may not be worth it...

MAC may have considered the backlash. They are changing the names.

The word factory would not normally offend me either, but used in association with the collection, both Rodarte and MAC's, it has offended many.

Purrceys

Here's the latest statements from MAC and Rodarte (as posted on Temptalia's blog)

'STATEMENT FROM M·A·C COSMETICSON THE M·A·C RODARTE COLLECTION
We understand that product names in the M·A·C Rodarte collection have offended our consumers and fans. This was never our intent and we are very sorry. We continue to listen carefully to the comments we have received and have the following plans to address concerns:
  • We are committed to donating $100,000 to a non-profit organization that has a proven, successful track-record helping women in need and that can directly improve the lives of women in Juarez in a meaningful way.
  • We are changing the product names in the M·A·C Rodarte collection.
As we have done in the past, please be assured that we will communicate details regarding our progress in this matter.
STATEMENT FROM RODARTE ON THE M·A·C RODARTE COLLECTION
We recognize that the violence against women taking place in Juarez needs to be met with proactive action. We never intended to make light of this serious issue and we are truly sorry.
Helping to improve the conditions for women in Juarez is a priority for us and we are thankful for all the comments calling attention to the urgency of addressing this situation."

Personally I feel a lot better about these latest statements than the previous ones. I previously wrote to MAC about the inadequacy of the previous response and why I objected to the 'inspiration' for this collection.

Rinstar

They're also donating $100,000. Don't you think the victims would rather have this collection released and receive $100,000 than have people boycotting it/still upset? That's $100,000 more donated to this cause than would have been donated without MAC and Rodarte. Plus countless donations from people who became outraged and now really care/are aware of this issue.

MAC'sMyBF

Wow, I just looked over the names, and 'Factory'??? Really? I'm really glad they are changing the names.

laylalovesmac

Yay MAC! Donating $100,000! I feel better about buying from this now.
yes.gif
I wish they had committed earlier, but even if they are doing this to prevent loss of customers, it is $100,000 to helping all of those women.
thmbup.gif
So long as it helps, I don't really care why they are doing it.

hello_kitty

Unfortunately it's not a new problem
ssad.gif
That's what sad, but a lot of new people have become aware of it when details about this collection came out, so at least a lot more people are now aware and maybe will be driven to help out in whatever why they can. I remember first learning about it from At the Drive In's 2001 song "Invalid Litter Dept."

At least MAC has been listening to their consumers, and have decided to change the names and donate money. It's showing that they're not being apathetic, regardless of what motives people think they might have. They could've gone "hey, screw ya'll, we leaving it all the same."

QueenBam

hello_kitty is right.... they could've just ignored all this and not done anything about it at all. i know i personally feel better buying it now that i know they're doing something. the photo of the model weirded me out too, she looks dead. and femicide is NOT funny.

1e519976b9dd48ee241dc8a.jpg

factory, ghost town, bordertown, bad land.... not exactly uplifting names.

i guess i compare it to them releasing a collection inspired by tribes in which female genital mutilation happened, or something along the lines. its not really an uplifting thing to be making money out of. they definitely got points with me after they decided to make the donation and change the names, we all know they are a generous company to those who are less lucky.

Shadowy Lady

I hope they change the promo pic too. I'm not buying from this collection still but don't wanna pass by MAC and see the promo pic there, it's very scary looking. The shadow of the girl on the left looks like it has blood dripping from its back and the one on the right is just ghostly looking :/

I do appreciate MAC doing something with all the backlash they got, but to me the end doesn't justify the means. I'd day I'm pleased but def not 100% happy. Hopefully next time they won't think we're just some women who are happy with a lipstick without having a shred of humanity...

laylalovesmac

I like the model since I like the pale thing, but I don't like it in relation to this collection.
nonono.gif
It feels wrong and sad.
ssad.gif