Discussion about moral/ethical/political aspects of Rodarte for MAC

Mabelle

you know, i never usually pay any attention to product names. and for soe reason, this collection drew no intrest at all, so i just glanced at it. But now that im looking at all the names this is ridiculous. How was this approuved up until this point? How did these two women decide this was a tastful/good idea.
that promo image needs to change. this is just so tasteless.
im happy that mac apologized, but i just dont understand how it took so long for someone to say this isnt kosher.

bea_16

Is that photo an official promo pic or just a backstage shot of the Rodarte fashion show?
Anyway I think MAC is to blame for not paying enough attention.
But the Rodarte sisters...basing a collection (clothing and now makeup) on a place they never even set foot in where horrible and inhumane things happen daily is ridiculous and ignorant.I've lived in the El Paso/Juarez border all my life. I was just in Juarez less than a month ago and "dreamlike" is not the word I would use to describe it.The glamourizing of the city is just wrong.

DILLIGAF

I'm still not purchasing a thing from this collection. Now it's 100% about it not working for me. Instead of not cosigning to what the collection was standing for. Kudos to MAC for listening to its customers. Also I would like to condemn the author of the "article" in NYMAG. It was snarky, full of bias and unresearched. Just because we are makeup enthusiasts doesn't mean we aren't aware of world issues. I felt like the person writing it was taking the "its just makeup, shut up and wear it" route.

laylalovesmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF
I'm still not purchasing a thing from this collection. Now it's 100% about it not working for me. Instead of not cosigning to what the collection was standing for. Kudos to MAC for listening to its customers. Also I would like to condemn the author of the "article" in NYMAG. It was snarky, full of bias and unresearched. Just because we are makeup enthusiasts doesn't mean we aren't aware of world issues. I felt like the person writing it was taking the "its just makeup, shut up and wear it" route.

iagree.gif

sinergy

Re: MAC - Rodarte Discussion

for those who arent familiar with the ongoing issues in Juarez and similar bordertowns about maquiladoras you would just have to see or hear someone close to you tell their story or about someone they know it really is heart braking and for the people there and who it has effected it might not be the same as the holocaust or 9/11 to you but the people living that actual life im sure the same dispare and hopelessness emotional turmoil and loss they can relate. so this is an issue for some, i am very happy to hear that just people speaking out has caused a change and awarenes from the companies involved. I was going to purchase products anyways, but more so now i think.

(oops hadnt seen their was a seperate discussion thread made already.)

singer82

I really dont think mac really realized the backlash it would cause when they collabed with them. They collaborate with designers. They based it on a designer collection and Rodarte are the ones that based it on Juarez. I think its more Rodarte that everyone should be upset about.
MAC realized thier mess up and are fixing it. It makes me feel good to be a MAC fan knowing that they actually listen to thier customers. And that they actually put money towards good causes. Not too many companies do that

this is just my opinion. I understand everyones concerns and feelings about this matter. And respect them

BunnyBunnyBunny

I'm not suprised they're changing names. I remember depotting Maira's Mood eye shadow from the Make-Up Art Cosmetics collection and under that sticker was a "Maira's Magic" sticker. For some unknown reason, they renamed it and just slapped a new sticker on the shadow. I'm sure that'll be the same with this collection. It'll suck if it's already shipped to stores though, in which case it will have to all be recalled.

jungleland

I'm happy they are changing names but still in disbelief how they approved them in the first place!

The only positive thing is that now many more people are aware of the situation that is going on over there.

The only item appealin to me was the Juarez n/p, but who wants something named after the "serial killers' play ground"???
Even with the change of name I'm not sure I'll get it!

Oh and from the Rodarte statements... they really simply not get the point... I'm definately boycotting them!!

rhondavancouver

Just read mac is making a donation and changing the names of the products... Yes, it's good that they listen to the consumer, but somehow I can't stop thinking this is what they wanted all along... to get everyone to talk about it... maybe I'll just donate and skip the collection.

spunky

i wonder what they'll change the names to?

i'm sorry if this comes across as cynical, but to me this seems too little, too late. i'm very happy that mac have held their hands up and said they made a mistake, but rodarte? what is wrong with those women?! $100,000 is peanuts compared to what they donate through Viva Glam, but hopefully, with that combined with donations from other people who have been made aware of this situation, some good can come of this.

i really hope they change the promo image too. i read a blog where the author says the girl [ghost?] on the left has blood dripping down her back, and the fact that the girl on the right isn't bothered by the presence of a ghost further enforces the femicide issue - it's so commonplace that women in Juarez are used to it. i completely agree with this idea, and in that light, the photo is disgusting.

does anyone know if the $100,000 donation is INSTEAD of the 'portion of profits' they originally stated?

laylalovesmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky
i wonder what they'll change the names to?

i'm sorry if this comes across as cynical, but to me this seems too little, too late. i'm very happy that mac have held their hands up and said they made a mistake, but rodarte? what is wrong with those women?! $100,000 is peanuts compared to what they donate through Viva Glam, but hopefully, with that combined with donations from other people who have been made aware of this situation, some good can come of this.

i really hope they change the promo image too. i read a blog where the author says the girl [ghost?] on the left has blood dripping down her back, and the fact that the girl on the right isn't bothered by the presence of a ghost further enforces the femicide issue - it's so commonplace that women in Juarez are used to it. i completely agree with this idea, and in that light, the photo is disgusting.

does anyone know if the $100,000 donation is INSTEAD of the 'portion of profits' they originally stated?

That's a good question- I'm wondering that, too.

Again, I like the model because I like that kind of look, but doing it for this collection is horrible, IMO. I would love to see the promo image changed. If Rodarte is saying they were inspired by the colors and such, where are those? This pic does not fit AT ALL!

I wish MAC had realized this sooner (in product planning) and never done the names or paired it with the photo/concept, but at least they are responding and donating. Some companies probably wouldn't do that.

I just hope that MAC's donation and any donations people make because of this collection help the women of Juarez. When it comes down to it, that's all that really matters, regardless of how quick they were to act.

spunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by laylalovesmac
That's a good question- I'm wondering that, too.

Again, I like the model because I like that kind of look, but doing it for this collection is horrible, IMO. I would love to see the promo image changed. If Rodarte is saying they were inspired by the colors and such, where are those? This pic does not fit AT ALL!

I wish MAC had realized this sooner (in product planning) and never done the names or paired it with the photo/concept, but at least they are responding and donating. Some companies probably wouldn't do that.

I just hope that MAC's donation and any donations people make because of this collection help the women of Juarez. When it comes down to it, that's all that really matters, regardless of how quick they were to act.

if that photo was in conjunction with something else, i wouldn't have a problem with it. the fact that she looks so corpse-like combined with the knowledge that the rodarte women KNEW about the Juarez situation leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

it just beggars belief that nobody in R+D or Marketing picked up on this. there is no excuse. if you promote a collection as 'inspired' by something, surely you do research into that inspiration, and any sort of search on Mexican border towns will give you an idea of the horrific events that happen there on a regular basis.

again, i'm pleased that mac have admitted that they were bang out of order and i'm still thinking about whether i'm going to buy from this collection but i know that i am definitely going to donate to a charity that helps these women. someone in the main rodarte thread had started to compile a list of these charities so i'll have to go back and find out which ones are recommended.

Door

I hope they won't change all the names. I really like names like Softly Drifting, Sleepwalker, Sleepless, Rose State and some other. If this collection hadn't any connection to Juarez, I think most of us wouldn't see these names as offending.

musicalhouses

Totally agree with QueenBam on this. I'm glad at least they're doing something, even if I might feel its a little inadequate.

And I totally didn't see this until someone pointed it out, but did anyone see there's a ghost in the promo photo too? On the left hand side, there is an outline of a woman (you know the bit where the white background ends), and she's wearing the same clothes as the human model and appears to be looking at her. I never noticed it before, but it makes it really creepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBam
hello_kitty is right.... they could've just ignored all this and not done anything about it at all. i know i personally feel better buying it now that i know they're doing something. the photo of the model weirded me out too, she looks dead. and femicide is NOT funny.

1e519976b9dd48ee241dc8a.jpg

factory, ghost town, bordertown, bad land.... not exactly uplifting names.

i guess i compare it to them releasing a collection inspired by tribes in which female genital mutilation happened, or something along the lines. its not really an uplifting thing to be making money out of. they definitely got points with me after they decided to make the donation and change the names, we all know they are a generous company to those who are less lucky.

Andrew

The issue is not with the words or names specifically that the products are called but how they link directly to the people of Juarez who live and work in these appalling conditions and live under the threat of violence and murder every hour of their lives..

Had the range not been directly associated to Juarez the names would not carry the weight of public outrage and I doubt anyone would have said anything.

Plainly the design and colours are as shown in the Rodart/MAC picture with a guant model looking less than healthy with sunken eyes and a sallow complexion are a direct reference to the situation and people of Juarez..Hardly beautiful IMO but the inspiration has been claimed to be taken from the surrounding countryside..Just how many countrysides do you know, apart from Chernobyl, which look gaunt and sallow and at deaths door?.

This is a major marketing mess up and MAC are having to do something about it double quick. They realise their error, hindsight being twenty twenty vision as always and I suppose at least this furore has shone a light on the plight of thses poor women..

In the 21st century its shameful that people still live in fear of their lives and even worse that a comsetics company should use this area as a base for their inspiration.

It beggers belief that in amongst a group of college graduated Marketing people that somone didnt put their hand up and say..

" excuse me, but do you think this is a good idea, have you seen or researched Juarez and the factory and its workers..maybe we should do some market research here...just a thought"

..No this didnt happen but it should have..I know we have all heard the could-a should-a would-a's before but really for a company as big as this falling under the corporate umberella of the Estee Lauder group somome should have had the savvy..

Andrew

martiangurll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Door
I hope they won't change all the names. I really like names like Softly Drifting, Sleepwalker, Sleepless, Rose State and some other. If this collection hadn't any connection to Juarez, I think most of us wouldn't see these names as offending.

I agree. I am upset they are changing the names.
angry.gif
It doesn't change the fact that there will still be political controversy. And I liked the ethereal effect they were going for--the so called zombie look. Then again, I like all things zombie, but perhaps that is a topic for another forum.

Anyhoo, I really like the collection and the look they were going for. I get the artistic inspiration was women on their way to work in the bordertown in the early hours of the morning when the light was just beginning to break, etc. Maybe they aren't fully awake because it is really early in the morning, etc. And I do not mean to minimize the murders happening, but I don't think that anyone meant to capitalize on the controversy. I think this was unintended consequences of the choice of inspiration for the artists.

But I really liked the names of the products and I thought they went well with the theme of the collection. I don't see anyone blogging about refusing to buy DS makeup at Walmart because they have sweatshops in the third world.

It seems very easy to tear down a "big corporation" and blame them for having "bad taste" rather than focusing on the problem at hand--rather than crediting the original explanation for the "idea" behind the theme of the collection.

Will it change my choices of products? maybe. Totally depends on the names they choose for the products. To me, the names do influence my decision. Maybe that is silly, but that is simply how much the names of the product influence the perception of the color. I really like the interesting names of the Urban Decay products, like "asphyxia" and "bruise." And would I love Perfect Topping or Roman Holiday any less with a different name? IDK but the names sort of give a frame of reference to what collection the product belonged to with the associated color schemes and models/face charts, etc.

So maybe this thread should go to the political discussion section, but I don't think it should. I am just really disappointed that the names are going to change.

Thus far, I think I still want to purchase the same products, but I was fairly invested in the names and they won't be the same without them.