Embarrassed b/c visiting the MAC store too often

GertiL

Recently I completely got hooked onto MAC. It started with a make over beginning of Jan. Now I visit the store every weekend and spending a lot of money. I love the colors, I love the inspiration I get from the MAs.

But I'm starting to feel embarassed for going there again. Spending money again. As if the MAs look at me, "well, there is the MAC addict again". They are very nice and friendly by the way. Probably all in my mind .

Does anyone recognize this feeling? As long as it makes me happy, I try to bypass my embarassement. Would love to know your experiences.

YvetteJeannine

That's funny..'Cause that's exactly how I feel, too...Except I don't go there every wkend., the mall is too far away ('bout an hour), and I always go w/ my hubby, 'cause we like to stroll the mall together, so I wait for his days off...But, still...They all know me, and when I come up to the counter, they're like "Hey girl.." It's a lil' embarrassing to me; but they are all very nice. I mostly just go to the MACY's counter..I like the M/A's best over there..

In reality, we are embarrassed, but they are probably thrilled to see us...What's better then a guaranteed sale (and a big one at that) when you work on commission??
smiles.gif

GertiL

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvetteJeannine
That's funny..'Cause that's exactly how I feel, too...Except I don't go there every wkend., the mall is too far away ('bout an hour), and I always go w/ my hubby, 'cause we like to stroll the mall together, so I wait for his days off...But, still...They all know me, and when I come up to the counter, they're like "Hey girl.." It's a lil' embarrassing to me; but they are all very nice. I mostly just go to the MACY's counter..I like the M/A's best over there..

In reality, we are embarrassed, but they are probably thrilled to see us...What's better then a guaranteed sale (and a big one at that) when you work on commission??
smiles.gif

I tell that to myself too, that they are thrilled to see me.
The MAC store is only 20 minutes from here. It's my regular once a week shopping trip. Ang good for exercise as well because I go on my bike. At least that's what I'm saying to myself.
th_LMAO.gif

chocolategoddes

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I don't go every week but sometimes when I see the same MAs I feel like they're thinking, " Oh that girl's here!" haha, but maybe I can start a nice customer/ employee relationship with them.

sharkbytes

I know exactly how you feel! Especially during December, I was there around 3x a week, because I was already in the mall for Christmas shopping, and I'd stop in and just pick up one or two things. Plus, I like to take my time browsing, and even though I always buy something I still felt like they must have thought I was a nutjob for milling around for 25 minutes.

sxyeyed1

Oh i definitely feel the same way i started going so much the MA'S constantly ask me why aren't i working there cause they love the way i do my make up. One of my favorite ma there actually convinced me to go to the school she went to and I start there in 2 wks....so wish me luck....I am also a current sephora addict...lol.....

Odette

I definitely empathize. I normally go to the pro store but when I went to the free standing store in a mall by me one of the MA's there recognized me from the pro store and asked if I was a MA too. She even asked for my pro card. I cringed. I have to stop buying make-up.

newagetomatoz

I feel the same way, but not about MAC--I never get to go there! LOL But nearly every week the walgreens by me has some sort or BOGO sale, whether it is HIP, my shampoo, hairdye, Wet N Wild nailpolishes, etc. And that is the only time I there, and I think they are making rude comments about me in their head!!

But if I lived closer to MAC or Sephora, I would be thinking the exact same thing you are!!.

bartp

I recognize the feeling. Mac has been here in Belgium for a year, and I would frequently check to see if they had anything new. I was waiting for the buzz or excitement in my mind to die down, but so far I still get excited by a new launch or collection. I might buy a bit less now, but people know me, and in the beginning I thought it would seem weird too... eventually you learn that the people working at the MAC store would do the same as you do, if they weren't working there....

and how about this:
- we go and buy groceries every week but we don't feel weird about that. We buy bread every day and that 's not weird. we put on makeup every day so why not check back frequently. It's fun it's harmless.
- people buying alcohol every day or cigarettes every day probably never feel as bad as we think that we might feel :)

GertiL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxyeyed1
Oh i definitely feel the same way i started going so much the MA'S constantly ask me why aren't i working there cause they love the way i do my make up. One of my favorite ma there actually convinced me to go to the school she went to and I start there in 2 wks....so wish me luck....I am also a current sephora addict...lol.....

Good luck at the school! I would love to do a make up training.
Have fun.

GertiL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette
I definitely empathize. I normally go to the pro store but when I went to the free standing store in a mall by me one of the MA's there recognized me from the pro store and asked if I was a MA too. She even asked for my pro card. I cringed. I have to stop buying make-up.

Don't stop. It's too much fun.

VioletB

I was reading through the thread and I was thinking..
I guarantee probably 95% of the people that work at your local MAC counter/store/whatever were probably in the same position before they started working there.
"I'm an addict and I can't get away!"
smiles.gif

Thus: Now their addiction pays them.
punk_.gif

GertiL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartp
I recognize the feeling. Mac has been here in Belgium for a year, and I would frequently check to see if they had anything new. I was waiting for the buzz or excitement in my mind to die down, but so far I still get excited by a new launch or collection. I might buy a bit less now, but people know me, and in the beginning I thought it would seem weird too... eventually you learn that the people working at the MAC store would do the same as you do, if they weren't working there....

and how about this:
- we go and buy groceries every week but we don't feel weird about that. We buy bread every day and that 's not weird. we put on makeup every day so why not check back frequently. It's fun it's harmless.
- people buying alcohol every day or cigarettes every day probably never feel as bad as we think that we might feel :)

I look at it as beginners addiction too, it will calm down. Who am I kidding
th_LMAO.gif

And I agree, we use make up everyday, why feel embarassed buying it, it is harmless and fun.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm in good company here. And I don't feel that weird anymore.

amoona

FYI ladies - we LOVE our repeats and MAC addicts. You guys make it fun because we started out as you guys and we can actually have a fun conversation about make-up with you because you love the samethings we love! Don't hide from us, we love you!!

TUPRNUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
FYI ladies - we LOVE our repeats and MAC addicts. You guys make it fun because we started out as you guys and we can actually have a fun conversation about make-up with you because you love the samethings we love! Don't hide from us, we love you!!

Good to know! I've started to order some things online just so they don't feel like:
a) I'm stalking them OR
b) I'm a complete loser and spend all my time at the mall

Well, I do spend A LOT of time at the mall, actually. Hmmm...

kokometro

I know that feeling. I'm in there so much, the manager told me she's going to make me start pulling products. She also told me that many of the artists with mac started out the same way as me. They call me now to tell me about the new stuff. I love it. I call them friends, so I'm not embarrassed anymore. I'm very lucky that my husband supports me in my love of MAC.. He bought me Mac before I even heard of it. He knows what I'd like. The Artists love him because he's so cool about it. One of the artists told me that she always misses her exit because she's thinking about the new stuff.. she works there!! lol. I guess knowing that makes it not so embarrassing!!

I'm not doing a 12 step program anytime soon!

*KT*

When I went in for a few things one day and came back two days later for 'one last thing'. I jokingly said, "I swear I'm not a stalker!" and he laughed and said, "Oh, there are others who are here a lot more than you are!"

I guess I feel like I'm there a lot because the mall is across the street from my job, so when I visit the mall I park at Macy's. My MAC counter is right at the mall entrance/Macy's exit, so I am forever walking/stopping by. =D