For the makeup addicts- How did your friends and family react?

missah

I've just started to become a makeup addict and just bought a whole heap of makeup [over a thousand dollars worth] with money I've been saving up from the past three years from chinese new years and I haven't received it yet but when I do, my room will be cluttered! My friends say I'm crazy for wanting so much makeup, they lecture me about it "why are you spending so much on useless things? Stop wasting your money!" it was the same way when I bought my first haul of nail polish [i now have 60 bottles after a year] . I don't have anyone to talk to about this sort of stuff aside from friends I've made on makeup blogs. My dad is constantly lecturing me about my spending on makeup and nail polish and my mum lectures abit but she's always borrowing my nail polish so she can't say too much. I'm abit worried about when my makeup finally arrives and they ask me whats inside that giant box! my mum does just the basic makeup, she doesn't love it, she thinks its a necessity to look good.

I really love makeup and that I can use my face as a canvas. All my life, I've had some kinda creative outlet, painting, writing, drawing, knitting, folding origami [im still pretty good, intermediate level=D] and since I've started my final years of highschool, my subjects have been less and less creative and more theoretical. So I guess my creative side was so suppressed, it exploded and I fell in love with all the beautiful nail polishes and the gorgeous colours and how hands can be transformed and look so pretty! Naturally, whats next to follow is makeup! my friend on MUA got me into it! I was asking her to send me some nail polish from the US and then i fell in love with makeup! I cant rmemeber exactly how it happened though but I love colours. I always have. I'm into photography too and I've just started that but I think my passion for makeup will always continue!

Luckily, I can vent to my bf about my obsession. He'll complain abit but he'll listen to me. He doesn't really understand my addiction to makeup because he says what I look like naturall is best and makeup could change my appearance heaps and I suppose in a way it does. It enhances and changed but I still love using all these colours. It makes me happy and i feel beautiful so he tolerates it. But he enables my nail polish addiction! He loves finding new colours for me to wear and thinking of crazy designs and wacky nail polish combos. My favourite nail polish was chosen by him!

But the thing is, my friends who are always complaining about me wasting my money etc on nail polish and makeup, they're always asking me to do their nails etc! its quite annoying because they are being hyprocritical about it. one moment, they say its such a waste of money, im an idiot to spend so much then they ask to use my nail polish and raid my stash! Its like its fine for me to buy it so they dont have to and they can just use mine. Sorry if thats mean but I just dont like it. itll be fine if they supported me but they don't.

kimbunney

Well my mother is the only person who knows how bad my addiction is. My family knows I love it but they don't know how much I have. lol My mom is okay with it but she says I don't need makeup that I'm naturally beautiful ughhhh I'm like thats not why I wear it tho. Plus your my mom lol that means your bias. When she starts saying I don't need certain items I compare it to her book collection. I say you spend time reading and collecting your books that makes you happy right mom. So I spend my time applying and buying new and exciting makeup because it makes me happy. She understands a little better than. Everyone has different hobbies mines just happens to be makeup!

They guys (I work with all men) at work know about my addiction lol I'm always asking them opinions on colors and stuff. They totally "support" it lol I think they understand its a hobby more than my mom who sees it as wasting money on things I'll never use all up.

ssaemblog

I rarely talk to people IRL on a day-to-day basis so they don't know, haha. Maybe one guy "friend" knows but he doesn't say anything. Sarah knows, but she likes makeup too so she doesn't say anything bad about it. My parents know I like makeup. They don't care. They do sometimes go "wtf" at the price of Sephora brand items and whatnot, but as long as it's my money (or a birthday/Christmas present), they don't care how I spend it.

@missah I don't understand why your friends would be complaining about how you spend your money. It's your money, not theirs.

missah

I have no idea either... but she loves complaining about how I spend my money. I suppose she wishes she could spend her money freely like I do? I don't know. its really frustrating. my other friends just climb on board and start complaining as well. I guess its also because I'd rather spend on makeup than on little movie gatherings?

jaylilee

I'm very new to this and am now totally obsessed. My fiance, who has never had to deal with me being overly "girly" (his terms, not mine) and putting on makeup every day, now is perplexed and rolling his eyes. he thinks i'm insane for spending so much money, but he'll suffer it silently when I drag him along to buy something lol so I guess he doesn't mind it much, else I KNOW he'd complain.

I have one friend who's just as obsessed, and two others who like make up but it's not their life. it's fun to paint on everyone else's faces lol.

My husband would laugh at me when I would watch makeup tutorials, which I hated. And anytime I buy makeup, he rolls his eyes and thinks I have enough. He doesn't understand that I'm a makeup artist and always need new things!

MissTsa23

My parents don't really mind. My mom finds my "obsession" with makeup interesting. She supports me. haha and my boyfriend is a shoe fiend, so he can't say anything. ;) As for my friends, they think my collection is "crazy" and "awesome" mostly because they want me to do their makeup for them. lol

Mostly, people think I have way too much makeup... but for me.... it's not enough!! I want more ;) I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way. hehe
angelic.gif

Kawaiiamaiai

My family thinks I have way too much make up, so whenever I come home with something new I tend to hide it. It's sad that a 24 year old woman has to sneak bags in to make sure she's isn't ridiculed by her family. I pay my bills and go to work. I think I should be able to spend what money I have left over on what I want. It's not bad, just more of an annoyance really. Especially if the makeup is given to me (I'm an EL MUA)... they still think I've lost my mind for actually bringing it home even though it was free.

madeinbrklyn

my mom loves makeup, just not as much as i do lol! she doesn't understand why i HAVE to have so much makeup. she tells me i waste too much of my money on it, which i disagree because i don't buy that much makeup...i only buy it when i have leftover money to buy it.....or unless it's something i really need in my life lol. my friend's also don't understand...one of my close friends actually got into makeup because of me. and only one other friend actually loves makeup, but isn't obsessed. my family...again thinks im crazy for buying too much lol but they also say i should be a makeup artist (even though that isn't the reason i buy all of it). my boyfriend....lol he thinks i'm too addicted and that i rehab, but yet he still buys me makeup. he complains sometimes but he's usually okay about it because he doesn't want me to get started with his shoe and hat collection -_______- lol

jennifa

Everybody that knows me (friends/family/boyfriend) thinks I have wayyyyy to much makeup. The only person who understands me is my BFF, but then again she is also a makeup junkie. And I will admit, it is a very large stash (well, not as big as some Youtube guru's, but whose is?). I have spent thousands of dollars on makeup since really getting into it around 6 years ago. But it's an addiction, and a fun one too :) So as long as I am not in debt I think I can get a few things here and there, once in a while. Everybody has a hobby, right?

manderz86

I know my friends think it's excessive, but they understand it's what I love & they're always coming over to get their makeup done anyway. I paint for a living so I they just see it as an extension of my art. Oddly enough my husband understands because he's an avid gamer, so we agree that we both get to spend money on our hobbies, as long as it's within reason & all our expenses are met of course. The only person who gives me a hard time about it is my mother - to her it's just plain greed & she doesn't understand why a person would need so much of one thing. It's funny though, whenever I visit her she has herself a free shopping spree in my makeup bag! (I always pack the things I don't really like when I'm going to hers hehe)

BTW anyone else turned people down on offers to go to town etc because you were expecting a package in the mail? I've done this a couple times so it doesn't get returned as our post office is far away. I'm always vague about it when they ask if it's important because that's when they're either going to think I'm crazy or feel offended that I've chosen makeup over them LOL!

milika

in my case my mom doesn't wear makeup and my friends only buy the necessary. My parents think that i dont need anymore makeup but after i convince them they buy me what i want :D my bf smiles when i talk about makeup but he understands that I'm crazy about it, never gets mad about the money i spent and always tries to buy me more because he knows im super happy with new makeup :D

Amber Dawn

My boyfriend has his own, more expensive hobbies. My mom, I don't know if she understands it, but she thinks anything that makes me happy is just fine. And my sister, she's the esthetician, but I think I own more makeup than her! But she loves talking about it with me.

sgr2008

My boyfriend, friends and family do not understand me at all, but are happy when I give them a few things !!!
They say "more makeup ??? again ??? " they are also surprised how I arrange it in my drawers and boxes, I am not very organized usually, only organized with my makeup items :) I spend at least 30mn a day in forums/online purchasing, and that is not very well accepted by them, it is a bit like a drug, I need it :))))
But I spend much much more than 30mn cooking, etc for them so they just shut up
angelic.gif
greengrin.gif

Nicala

My mom understands my habit. My brother.. ehhh not too much but he doesn't really complain. My boyfriend gets me, thankfully. We have a trade off, he gets to talk about sports, and I get to talk about make up, so it works!

My parents know about it; they both think I am spending way too much. I spend my own money, and it's a hobby. I enjoy makeup. My mom always asks me about makeup, so I guess my "addiction" does help! I have a few friends that know about it, but they are not obsessed as I am. I have a coworker who knows about my blog and YouTube channel, and she was SO excited about it (which was nice!).

Haven

DH thinks that my collection is getting too big, and he thinks that I have enough makeup to last the rest of my life. He does admit, however, that he is happy that my addiction is to $14 MAC shadows & such and not too something really expensive like 2k Louis Vuitton & Chanel bags.

I have a friend who just admitted to me that she is over 30k in debt b/c of her designer purse addiction.

princess sarah

They think im crazy so i tend to keep it to myself a bit and just sneak it into my case.... they tell me my collection is out of control but im the first one they come to when they want their makeup done or colour advice.

Fella calls me a mac addict or miss mac and always comments when im online looking and says 'what are you buying now' or 'thats odd.. back on the mac site' so when i get a big haul i will mention it but if i get just the odd thing i slip into my case unnoticed. He is used to me talking makeup constantly tho and used to me constantly playing around with it.

Friends eyes just pop open when they see my traincase and tell me its awesome but they wouldnt know what to do with half of it or waste their money...

mindolyn03

I have one friend who loves makeup, but I don't think her collection is as big as mine is. My husband doesn't really care, because he figures if he doesn't bother me about my makeup I won't bother him about his video games, lol. I have a few friends who don't get it. One really seems to pick on me about it. She even asked me how I justified spending so much money on makeup. Of course this was after she and her husband spent thousands of dollars on IVF to have kids.