For the makeup addicts- How did your friends and family react?

SamanthaDeMuro

Well, I am so bad that I am considering hitting Sephora tomorrow to buy some more eye shadow and eyeliner, as well as a Buxom lip gloss. I NEED HELP!!!!! LOL.

brandyslove

my family thinks I am nuts. i go into makeup stire to exchange something and coming back with $150 worth of makeup to add it to boxes I have in my office

PeachTwist

Mom supports it as she's into jewellery.

Boyfriend supports it and understands it as he's into comics/games/movies.

Friends/rest of family don't understand it.

I'm fine with that. :D

SamanthaDeMuro

Does anyone ever feel shame for buying so much make-up? I only buy what I like and NOT to have a huge collection but I feel bad that so many of my glosses will go bad before I can use them. How long can I use a gloss before it goes down the tubes? Do any of my fellow addicts know? At least with powders you get a much longer shelf life. True also on mascaras that go unopened. I have nearly 40 mascaras that have yet to be opened and more in my cases that I actually use. I actually write down the day I open them so I know when to throw them away. Sad, I know but lipsticks, glosses and mascara are my MAIN thing. What is y'all's fave make-up product. BTW, LOVE MAC's Studio Tech Foundation and eye make up remover. Their whole collection rocks.

SamanthaDeMuro

Does anyone ever feel shame for buying so much make-up? I only buy what I like and NOT to have a huge collection but I feel bad that so many of my glosses will go bad before I can use them. How long can I use a gloss before it goes down the tubes? Do any of my fellow addicts know? At least with powders you get a much longer shelf life. True also on mascaras that go unopened. I have nearly 40 mascaras that have yet to be opened and more in my cases that I actually use. I actually write down the day I open them so I know when to throw them away. Sad, I know but lipsticks, glosses and mascara are my MAIN thing. What is y'all's fave make-up product. BTW, LOVE MAC's Studio Tech Foundation and eye make up remover. Their whole collection rocks.
IF YOU CAN HANDLE ME AT MY WORST, YOU SURE AS HELL DON'T DESERVE ME AT MY BEST.--Marilyn Monroe

martiangurll

Well, I don't purchase make-up because I want to have a huge make-up collection. I buy make-up because I love beauty, I love wearing it, I enjoy playing with it. It's a form of art to me and I love art. My friends and family always tell me that I'm obsessed and spend too much money on it, they always laugh at me. Sometimes, I'm forced to hide my MAC purchases from my mom, lol. She's always on my ass about it. My friends do enjoy it because they always use my make-up and ask me to do make-up on them. Some of my friends are obsessed with beauty like me and some are starting to become obsessed with it just because they try the products I have and become loyal to them. I do agree that at times, I tend to spend too much but I honestly can't help it at times, hahaha.
I agree with the make up as art. And, you need the right tools to make that work of art perfect, right?

Hey, we can rationalize with the best of them!

SamanthaDeMuro

I am so glad I found this site. So glad to know I am not alone in my make-up and beauty addiction. Hubs thinks I have way to much make-up but like I told him, he has his gadgets and such. His own hobbies. What's the difference?

SamanthaDeMuro

I just love having so many colors to play with. Since I work in the medical field, I don't go too batso at work BUT I can do a toned down version of a look that is different than what most women wear. My old boss did make a comment one day about the minuscule amount of blue shadow I was wearing. I had a MAC sea colored blue along the lash line with brown in the crease and Mylar eyeshadow for the finale by my brow. It looked awesome and I got lots of compliments. I took the look from and episode of SEX AND THE CITY. But the doc, I suppose, thought it was too over the top for the office, though he didn't come right out and say it. (EYE ROLL) But that doc was always picking on me so I switched jobs (THE REASON WAS NOT MAKE-UP RELATED) and this doc that I've been working for for the last 3 years, has zero probs with my make-up looks. He just knows I am an awesome worker and patients love me. So yeah, some folks don't get it.

reesesilverstar

Only one of my friends has actually seen it and she keeps telling me to stop. Hubby agrees and that there aren't possibly any colours left in the spectrum. The only one who gets it is my mom. She knows it keeps me sane.

martiangurll

Only one of my friends has actually seen it and she keeps telling me to stop. Hubby agrees and that there aren't possibly any colours left in the spectrum. The only one who gets it is my mom. She knows it keeps me sane.
oh, but there are, you just have to have the appreciation for the subtle nuances, we all know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the HG is in the stash of the hoarder

SamanthaDeMuro

So, just this morning my husband was complaining about my obsession with make-up. It's my money that goes towards it. He thinks I am enabled by my mom, who doesn't get it, but supports me, non-monetarily speaking. We all have our thing. Hubs is really pissing me off this morning. He collects guns, (he has a concealed license with a permit to carry), pinball and arcade machines, not to mention other gadgets. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?!? He says I have WAAAY too much make-up BUT I love love love beauty products. I am doing me, to quote a friend. As long as I help pay the bills and we have zero kids, why can't I indulge. Man, it can be so infuriating! But I will continue my love.

Naughtyp

his stuff probably costs more too right? for one firearm you can buy like ten beauty items at least ,so it seems like you have more but I bet if u guys compared the $$ it's probably about the same. I don't have any kids yet either, I kno once I do I wil not be able to buy myself so much stuff! I go through phases of what I spend My money on, right now it's makeup n nail polish ;) I kno when I reach my limit tho and then I move on to something else lol

PeachTwist

So, just this morning my husband was complaining about my obsession with make-up. It's my money that goes towards it. He thinks I am enabled by my mom, who doesn't get it, but supports me, non-monetarily speaking. We all have our thing. Hubs is really pissing me off this morning. He collects guns, (he has a concealed license with a permit to carry), pinball and arcade machines, not to mention other gadgets. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?!? He says I have WAAAY too much make-up BUT I love love love beauty products. I am doing me, to quote a friend. As long as I help pay the bills and we have zero kids, why can't I indulge. Man, it can be so infuriating! But I will continue my love.
There is no difference.

You need to just sit down and discuss it. Explain that you have things you collect, and he has things he collects. They likely cost around the same, it's just you get more for your money than he does for buying one thing. You also need to ask him why he has a problem with it.

So thankful my boyfriend gets it. He collects video games/music/movies/graphic novels/etc and I collect make-up/nail polish/etc. Honestly, I couldn't be with someone who didn't get it - I couldn't deal with having to try and explain/defend my purchases made with my money.

Yazmin

My sister doesn't understand why I like to collect makeup (heck, she thought MAC and Sephora were one in the same!), but she's supportive enough that she's willing to give me a gift card to either store for Christmas.

AllyDVon

My boyfriend is finally starting to understand it. I view my makeup as a collection, he collects a few different things and I collect makeup. My family doesn't really care, but I don't think that they really pay any attention. I remember when my grandma scolded me for wanting to be a makeup artist when I was a child, when I got the job at Mac, she was the first person I called. :p

SamanthaDeMuro

I am so hoping to get a gift card from Sephora for Christmas from my folks that I have already made a list of what I will use it for. How sad is that? Of course I included some of my own funds in the list for overage. I AM AN ADDICT.

fabulousmoolah

I don't know anybody who has as much of a collection as I do. I try to hit sephora when new stuff goes up for clearance and when they have good coupon codes.

SamanthaDeMuro

Let me just say that if I owned my own Sephora store, I would be dangerous. Entire rooms in my house would become make-up studios. Seriously.

SamanthaDeMuro

One more thing. My husband has been complaining about the amount of make-up I own and the fact that I want more and yet, he just bought a new piece and is carrying it around with him like it's his binky. What is the difference? And just so everyone knows, my husband is an expert at gun safety and knows all the ins and outs about how to handle a firearm. I know it's a hot button issue in this country. But enough of being so serious, he doesn't know it yet, but once the holidays are over, I am hitting Sephora and going on a shopping spree. YAY!!!!!

Latest posts