(FORMERLY) pre-pre-diabetic at 14 years old...

Cinfulgirl

Re: Pre-pre-diabetic at 14 years old...

Just try to stick to everything. At first it will be hard but then you will see the benefits of not over eating, and then slowly you will see results and will like that.
-Also drink plenty of water cut out any soda and sugary drinks, I've done this and wow I feel great!
-At least try for the Holidays and if you can do it for at least 1 week you will see it wont be as difficult.
Hope you get right on track of everything, Im sure everyone is here to support you =]

GirlyDork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayteuk
Just think of it like this, I have a feeling your skin will be a tonne better after the weight loss too, im willing to coach you through this on MSN or YAHOO. But you have to work at it.

I have AIM and Yahoo, but I use AIM way more. However, I could try to log on more and I could update you. Add me, I'm sarahthegirlydork on YIM
smiles.gif
Thanks, BTW!!!
greengrin.gif

GirlyDork

Thank you everyone!!!!!!!! I read everything and I'm so happy everyone is helping! I'm feeling better and not as sluggish already, but of course.......it still takes work. Shimmer is my hero, too. LOL but seriously, thanks for the reality check, Shimmer. I really do need to just DO it!

darkishstar

Ohhhhh if you can use an elliptical! On the lowest setting it shouldn't be too difficult for you.
smiles.gif
And as you get more in shape... increase the tension! Hope that helps as well!

GirlyDork

OMG those burn sooooo many calories!!!!! I'll try it again. The last time I did it for an extended amount of time was.......oh gosh......over a year ago? Lol, definitely another thing to do! Thanks!

MACLovin

Simply Elegant

I wouldn't really rely on what an ellyptical says. They're not too accurate. If you're really serious about this, I'd get a heart rate monitor. It will be the most accurate thing. I'd also invest in some free weights too so your body can look its best and it'll help your metabolism too.

Also, if you need more support, search spark people. They have a lot of members who are really inspirational who have completely changed their lifestyles and bodies. Plus they give you meal plans, calorie ranges, exercises etc. I just find it's best, even though I'm mostly trying to maintain, it helps for that too. It'll help to keep you on track.

GirlyDork

Thanks for that forum OMG!!! And Simply Elegant, thank you, I will check out Spark People because it sounds like just what I need
greengrin.gif
! My mom has free weights somewhere lying around the house haha. As for the heart rate monitor, I'll try to get a hold of that, too.

GirlyDork

I made a SparkTeens account!
greengrin.gif
! I'm GirlyDork there, too. If anyone has a SparkTeens (IDK if I can add adults there), add me as a friend!

user19

Hi there! It's great that you're taking control of your weight. I'm 16 and about the same height and weight as you, so I know what it's like. I don't know if your school has a work-out room, but mine does and we can go in there and work out in the morning. It's good since I don't have to pay for it and can exercise as much as I want. If your school has a weight room, you can do that too.

For losing weight, stay away from soda/pop! I recently completely cut soda out of my diet and I feel so much better! Trust me, all the caffeine will make you feel like crap! Exercising is a pain in the butt, but try to make it fun! Tae bo is a good way to exercise without getting too sore. Maybe go to an animal shelter or humane society in your area. You could walk dogs or take care of animals- exercise, something to take your mind off food, and something to make yourself feel good! Or get a job, you're kept busy and you get paid too!

Good luck!

GirlyDork

Thanks! It's great to know someone around my age, height, and weight can support me. My school doesn't have a workout room, but I can join volunteer work outside of school or take classes. As for cutting out soda, that is possible, too. I love it, but I don't usually have much around the house anyway. (I drink soda when I'm out to eat...:/)

GirlyDork

I'm doing great! I lost 1.6 pounds last week! I'm at about 189...but still!

caffn8me

Well done and keep at it.

I put on a lot of weight (about 60 pounds) when my thyroid failed and when I was at my heaviest my blood sugar was higher than it should have been too. Too much abdominal fat around the liver and spleen seems to cause elevated blood sugar.

I know it's a bore but you need to record everything you eat and you'll probably have to stick to a diet of about 1500 kcalories a day. When I was trying to lose weight, the thing I found which really worked was to use a pair of kitchen scales to weigh absolutely everything and I wrote it all down on an Excel spreadsheet which calculated how many calories I was having each day.

Because I added the nutrition information for foods I ate I could also use the spreadsheet to keep track of the amount of fibre, protein, saturated fat and total fat.

I managed to lose a lot of weight very successfully doing this. I stopped losing weight as soon as I stopped calculating everything
ssad.gif

If you aren't able to lose weight you'll have diabetes to look forward to. It really isn't worth it. My father developed diabetes (and he was slim and very healthy - an air force pilot in fact) when he was in his thirties. He was dead at 43 because although he was an exceptionally well controlled diabetic, he couldn't fight off pneumonia which was diagnosed too late. He died in the emergency room of one of the UK's top hospitals having been taken there by ambulance.

Diabetes increases the risk of all sorts of problems. You can lose your sight with diabetic retinopathy as the blood vessels at the back of the eye get damaged by high blood sugar and you can lose feeling in your feet.

I have a friend who is a badly controlled diabetic in her fifties. We walked around Oxford looking for a restaurant a few weeks before christmas. We missed it and ended up walking too far. She had new boots on and they were rubbing her toes badly but she didn't know. When she went to the hospital to get her feet checked they kept her in for a week because she'd done so much damage.

You really don't want to have a future like that.

Try to increase the amount of fibre (or fiber if you use the American spelling) in your diet - you should aim for just under an ounce a day (24g minimum). This will help you feel more full and also help reduce your blood sugar.

Cut down on fats and unrefined sugars and get help from a dietician.

It's going to be tough but we're here to give you our support.

KAIA

Hey! I just wanted to say that it´s awesome that you took the decision of losing weight, all you gotta do from now on is
believe in yourself! you can do it! and all of us are here for you, I'll be checking your fitness Journal to see how are
you doing! and once again congrats on the decision! =)

GirlyDork

Thanks!
smiles.gif
I don't really record anything except my weight on Spark People, though...but I can make this kinda like my fitness journal!

Okay, so yesterday I walked a total of about 5 miles to and from my old elementary school to visit teachers.

On Sunday, I bought nachos for my friend who was going to roller skate with me, but I found out she couldn't make it last minute, while I was waiting for her. I decided to throw the nachos away instead of eat them.
greengrin.gif

caffn8me

Well done, Sarah! That's a triumph for willpower
th_sign_woot.gif

If you like roller skating that can be really good exercise so try to do it often. Another great exercise is swimming. It puts less strain on your joints than running and exercises more muscle groups. If you could do some swimming and some roller skating every week, I'm sure it would really help.

Good luck!

GirlyDork

I was back up to 190 this week! NOOO!!! Well, I guess I deserved it. I needed to track more. Well, I'll just try harder this time...

caffn8me

Sarah, you're really pretty, you're young and you have a great future ahead of you. Don't throw it away!

If you develop diabetes you'll have to track everything anyway - as well as stick needles in yourself numerous times a day for blood tests and insulin injections. It's not a bundle of fun.

Stick at it, we're all really wanting you to succeed.

Have you cut out soda with sugar yet? That will help a lot by itself. A single can of regular Coke contains seven teaspoons of sugar.

Latest posts