(FORMERLY) pre-pre-diabetic at 14 years old...

GirlyDork

Re: Pre-pre-diabetic at 14 years old...

Aww, thank you!!!
smiles.gif

I know, I know. I'm trying so hard from this point on. I need to do this for myself!

Yeah, I drink Diet Coke. I always have. But IDK if that's any different.

caffn8me

Diet coke is good as are all other diet sodas. Regular sodas should always be avoided.

My comments to you about skating have inspired me to start skating again. You can see me on rollerblades in my profile picture but I'm actually thinking of ice skating. I used to go at least once every week and it's great exercise but I haven't been for several years now - not since I moved to London. Next time I go to my mother's I'll get my ice skates and I'm determined to use them to help get fit again. I'm also going to start skating lessons. I've never had any proper training but I think that lessons will help give me something to work toward.

I have thyroid problems which haven't quite been fixed yet so I maintain weight even on a low calorie diet.

I'm tall (between 5'11" and 6'0") and my weight as of three minutes ago was 191 pounds so we're at about the same starting point.

What I'm going to do is start my attempt at real weight loss in the morning. I have a target weight of about 150 pounds. I'm also going to start some exercise (sit-ups, crunches and leg lifts) that I can easily do at home.

I'm going to start counting calories again (that's the way I lost weight previously).

I'll post my results here on this thread if that's OK with you - so we can be two Sarahs in this together
smiles.gif

I will say that if I was in the USA, I'd find it much harder to lose weight as portion sizes are so much larger than we have in the UK. I used to work in the deep south; Georgia. Not only were portion sizes enormous but most things are fried. This is a rib sandwich I had for lunch one day;

ribwich.jpg

Note the Diet Coke
greengrin.gif

Very difficult to lose weight.

I'm going to aim to lose about a pound and a half weight each week. I know I can do that with just diet if I stick to about 1500 calories a day. I'm adding exercise in too which might change that.

When I've lost enough weight and got good enough on ice skates I might even get some photos of me on the ice
smiles.gif

It's not a competition but I want you to feel you're not alone. How does that sound to you?

GirlyDork

Everything you said sounds great! I'd be glad to work together with you, and it's great that you're going to ice skate again.

I have a similar goal. 150 pounds would be a great weight for me, too.

Thank you so much for your support and joining me in doing this!
smiles.gif

TexasBelle

Just a small recommendation . . . the Walk Away the Pounds videos with Leslie Sansone.

I'm 5' 9" and about 250 lbs - that's morbidly obese. Since I'm tall, I carry the pounds okay, but there's just no getting around the fact that I'm fat.

Anyway, exercise is very difficult for me. But I've found that the Walk Away the Pounds series is a godsend . . . I have the Walk Away the Pounds for Abs series, and there's a 15 minute workout, a 30 minute workout, and a 45 minute workout. The moves are simple and easy to learn, and a lot of it just involves walking at a certain pace. The idea is that 15 minutes = 1 mile, 30 minutes = 2 miles, etc. Leslie (the gal who leads the videos) is super-motivational.

Anyway, I've gotten a lot out of these videos. It's a workout that I can do, that I can keep up with, and that doesn't leave me in severe joint pain by the time I'm done. I highly recommend it.

caffn8me

That's great, Sarah! I feel that if we work at this together, we're not alone. That makes it so much easier. I really want to lose weight and I want to help you succeed too.

Here's what I suggest: We only update our results once a week (weighing yourself every day doesn't mean very much). I'll also post my weekly exercise and my weekly calorie intake. I started counting yesterday and am now on my second "good" day. I'm on target for calories, fat, fibre and protein. Absolutely everything I eat is recorded and from that I calculate the nutritional content.

My target is 1500 calories a day. A good way to keep on track is to do a running average so if you've been on the diet for six days, add the six totals together and divide by six. The next day, add seven totals together and divide by seven - and so on. If you have a spreadsheet programme on your computer it's quite easy to get it to calculate this for you.

That means that if one day you are slightly over it isn't a disaster if your running average is within the targets. I only average the previous ten days - as long as the previous ten days are always on target when averaged, I'm OK.

I'm still off target for exercise (OK, I haven't actually started yet) but will have my first skating session on Wednesday.

I'll see if I can do at least 2-3 hours. It'll be the first time I've been on skates for more than ten years so I may be a bit rusty! I expect I'll end up aching and stiff (but hopefully not bruised!)

Good luck with your efforts
smiles.gif

GirlyDork

Wow, you're really on top of all this! Well, when I have a definite weight loss plan, I'll post it here. I think I will record my weekly weight loss results here, too.

Thanks for doing this with me
greengrin.gif
!

caffn8me

Hey! Better not hang around Sarah - I've started! What are you waiting for? You can start being good right now. We're in this together!

I don't have a weight loss plan beyond restricting what I eat and doing some more exercise. It's not a complicated plan and you can do that too.

I had another day probably within my targets inspite of the best efforts of a friend of mine to lead me astray. It certainly postponed my skating but not my diet.

We went to a big Chinese supermarket and she insisted on treating me to Dim Sum in the restaurant (not that everyone would consider spicy pickled chicken's feet to be much of a treat). Inspite of loving (most) Chinese food I was very good indeed and only had a very small portion of each of the dishes.

Tomorrow (later today now) I go to the skating rink and will try not to break anything
smiles.gif

GirlyDork

Okay, well I am supposed to have a maximum of 26 Weight Watchers POINTS (about 1,300 calories) per day, not including 35 extra POINTS per week. So I follow that.

Also, since I only get two hours of P.E. at school per week on Fridays, I need to have some sort of physical activity outside of school for at least 3 hours a week in order to graduate. It's called homebridging, and I need to do it through sophomore year of high school. So, I go to the gym about three times a week on most weeks.

Great job! I'm sooo bad at portion control...I'm working on it
winks.gif

Tell me how skating goes!
greengrin.gif
!

caffn8me

Using Weightwatchers points sounds like a really good idea
smiles.gif
Go for it!

Just remember to stick to portion control - if you don't then the points mean nothing.

I've woken up this morning with a cold - on my chest and a stuffy nose. I'm still going to go to the ice rink later after I've unblocked myself a bit.

caffn8me

My Sunday update;

I've lost one pound
I've had one and a half hours on the ice in the last week
I've started exercise at home today and what I'm doing is;

• Single leg lifts - 100 each side - increase by 10 daily
  • Crunches - 100 - increase by 10 daily
  • Twisting crunches - 50 - increase by 10 daily
  • Double leg lifts - 50 - increase by 10 daily
  • Jogging on toes on the spot with arms held at 45º - 2 x 5 minute sessions - increase by 2 x 1 minute daily
  • Toes lifts (two feet) - arms at 45º, heels not touching the ground - 50 - increase by 10 per day
  • Stretching exercises - 10 minutes - increase by 1 minute each day
How's things going for you, Sarah?

GirlyDork

I've been under a lot of emotional stress. I went hiking today, though. I still feel fat and I need to be better about tracking. I'm very disappointed in myself.

caffn8me

Awwww
ssad.gif
Sorry to hear about that *HUG*

Hiking's good though. I love walking. I know it's not always easy in the US as there are often few sidewalks.

I hope you feel better soon and get back on track. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for you. I know you can do it.

bebeflamand

*HUG* You can do it girl! And I think it's fantastic that so many of the other members here are so supportive.

I've gained so much by doing some exercise. I tried a few things (hate running with a passion!) and yoga actually works best for me. It can be as hard as you want it to be. You can start your day simply by doing the 'sungreetings'. It takes 15 minutes every morning and evening (30 min. exercise a day right there). And then 1-2 times a week a full yoga session. Walking works too, especially to the rhythm of some up-tempo music.

That and sticking to weight watchers program made me lose 50 pounds already. It's not always easy and in the beginning it went superslow, even gained weight during the first month, but I kept going. There will be days where it goes wrong, you feel bad/emotional and go back to your 'old ways', I know I have. Don't let it get you down though, get your courage back together and start over the next day.
Take it day by day, stick to your plan (keep the goals realistic) and I promise you the reward will be awesome. I can't describe the feeling of being able to buy clothes in a smaller size for the first time...

I believe in you, you really want it and I know you can do it!
smiles.gif

GirlyDork

Thank you sooooooooo much for the support! I'm getting back on track, or trying to...

caffn8me

You can do it Sarah, I know you can.

I've only done three days of exercise but I've already noticed a real improvement. All the exercises I am doing can be done indoors at home without any equipment.

The thing I'm finding the most difficult is stretching. I'm holding stretches for up to a minute and a half and it's quite uncomfortable but when I started I couldn't get anywhere near touching my toes without bending my legs and now I can - it's making a big difference in just four days.

I really hate running and team sports but I'm finding that the exercises I'm doing are satisfying because I can see an improvement from day to day. You should try them too.

GirlyDork

My weight stayed the same this week. :/

However, I started a stimulant medication a few days ago to help me lose weight AND focus in school! It feels like it's working for both, because I'm a little but less hungry, I can more easily think before I act, and I'm actually PARTICIPATING in class!!! Ooooh, shockerrr...lol

caffn8me

LOL! That's great
smiles.gif
As for exercise, you don't have to start doing the numbers I did - maybe start at half what I did and work up from that.

I managed two hours of ice skating yesterday which was great. I'm having a knee problem with my left side - it's inflammation that was a problem just over a year ago. For that reason I'm cutting the jogging out of my exercise routine as that's the hardest bit for my knees. It's also the most boring bit!

I'll update you on my weight tomorrow.

Good luck at school and with the weight loss.

caffn8me

Well, all the exercise has only helped me lose two pounds so far - I'm 189. Having said that, I was at the hospital today and it seems my thyroxine level isn't high enough yet so I've just been prescribed a higher dose which should increase my metabolism.

If my knee is a little less painful I'll be back on the ice tomorrow or Wednesday - yay! I'm really enjoying the skating and it can burn 600 calories an hour.

Hope things are going well for you.

Latest posts