(FORMERLY) pre-pre-diabetic at 14 years old...

caffn8me

Re: Pre-pre-diabetic at 14 years old...

That's good news Sarah
smiles.gif
I hope things keep working.

I'm losing weight slowly again now - I've been 186 pounds for the past 2-3 days. 32 pounds to go.

GirlyDork

Well that's good you're down a little. I can't wait to lose the weight! It's taking forever though...

Keep up the good work!

Thank you to everyone for your support!
greengrin.gif

SparklingWaves

Hi there! I don't know where you are with your goals. I would like to offer you my support and tools to help you.

On Kitchenware online at Cooking.com: Shop for small appliances, cookware, cutlery, bakeware, tableware, and more plus find recipes., you can find the Diabetes Management System by Readers Digest. In this system, you will receive the following: 1. Welcome book, 2. Dining out guide, 3. Weekly shopping list, 4. Supplement guide, 5. Healthy Kitchen poster & 6. the Personal Planner. All of this costs $11.86. Now, you will need to add shipping to that total.

You mentioned that you have difficulty remembering to write things down, so that's why I am mentioning this system. The Planner is great for that purpose. You just circle and check off the section in "What I ate today". In taking charge of your health section, you will just check off the eat, move, choose, and rate your attitude today boxes everyday. There is a section to add what you feel were your successes & confessions. I like there is a section to circle how many times I eat out of boredom, stress, or habit. This helps identify problem areas.

Also, you mentioned something in regard to cooking issues. Cooking is an art that can be acquired. There are easy diabetes cookbooks. One that I like a few recipes is titled, America's Best Cookbook for Kids with Diabetes. You could probably check out a few books from your local library that you would like even better than this suggestion.

Now, you may be thinking - "I am not diabetic. I am Pre-diabetic". My physician treats those demonstrating as Pre-diabetic in the same light as those with the condition. You would go to a diabetic teaching classes. This would include seeing a nutritionist about your diet. The diet is a healthy one and not a real mystery.

I don't know what your Mom's exercise program is, but you two could motivate each other with that situation. The two of you could become a great support system.

Ultimately, your body is totally dependent on you like a helpless infant. It depends on you daily to provide it with the best care that you can. It's the most precious thing you will ever possess.

kaliraksha

Sparklingwaves, I love your advice. Although I'm currently out of the diabetic scare zone, I imagine I'm easily prone to it due to my family history. I think I will definitely look into incorporating more diabetic friendly meals into my lifestyle, if for no other reason than to counter the few times I have my delicious pistachio almond ice cream. Heh.

GirlyDork

Thanks for the suggestions and support, guys. I'm at 181 pounds now
smiles.gif

How is the other Sarah doing?
greengrin.gif

SparklingWaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyDork
Thanks for the suggestions and support, guys. I'm at 181 pounds now
smiles.gif

How is the other Sarah doing?
greengrin.gif

You are in my thoughts. I am so glad to hear from you and that you are making great progress.

SparklingWaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
That's good news Sarah
smiles.gif
I hope things keep working.

I'm losing weight slowly again now - I've been 186 pounds for the past 2-3 days. 32 pounds to go.

I hope you are doing well and most importantly feeling well. I am always so glad to see your avatar.
smiles.gif

Don't know if this is suggested yet...

I find DDR, an exercising game on playstation VERY addicting and fun! You should try it out, you might like it.

GirlyDork

Wow, it's been a while since I updated! I'm somewhere around 180 pounds now. Yesterday I weighed myself and I was 177 and some fraction, and this morning I was 181. Hmm...whatever, it's hard to get under 180. It's like where I keep having a plateau.

How is the other Sarah doing? Haha.

GirlyDork

Oh crap, it's been so long!!! Sarah (caffn8me), how are you doing?

I met with my endocrinologist recently. I weigh about 175 pounds now, and my insulin levels are at 19 (the higher end of healthy)!!! I'm so sorry I haven't been updating. I've been busy and I haven't been checking my weight very much.

I have a goal to lose another 15 pounds, but I haven't really set a deadline or anything. I'll be at the highest end of healthy for my height when I weigh 160 pounds. From there, I'd probably want to lose another 15 pounds. Then I'd be at a very healthy weight, and I'd just have to maintain it. No more gaining, but no more losing!

Okay, I'm rambling and probably thinking a bit too far ahead...xD.

kaliraksha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyDork
Oh crap, it's been so long!!! Sarah (caffn8me), how are you doing?

I met with my endocrinologist recently. I weigh about 175 pounds now, and my insulin levels are at 19 (the higher end of healthy)!!! I'm so sorry I haven't been updating. I've been busy and I haven't been checking my weight very much.

I have a goal to lose another 15 pounds, but I haven't really set a deadline or anything. I'll be at the highest end of healthy for my height when I weigh 160 pounds. From there, I'd probably want to lose another 15 pounds. Then I'd be at a very healthy weight, and I'd just have to maintain it. No more gaining, but no more losing!

Okay, I'm rambling and probably thinking a bit too far ahead...xD.

Congrats! I'm so happy for you. Keep us posted =)

GirlyDork

Yeah, totally!

I might be a tiny bit lighter now, maybe 174. IDK. My scale at home is glitchy. I went to a day camp for 2 weeks, though. It started on June 29th. It lasted Monday-Friday, 9 AM-4 PM, and I was trying to supervise kids in sports classes. (I helped in soccer a little bit before daily meetings with other "campers in leadership training", or CILTs, then swimming at 1 PM, and basketball at 2 PM. Everything else in the day consisted of meetings and job skill classes, and lunch of course.)

Camp was hard work, and I got sunburnt in the first two days. I wore a lot of SPF 50 sunscreen from then on. Now I have a tan, but still kinda red :/. Oh yeah, and I felt sore the next morning after a day at camp, at least for a little while. I got a glowing review of my work though! My job counselor for that session sent an email to Mom, which was forwarded to other important people and now I finally feel praise! I've been trying to change my life in other ways, too...

IDK if this is TMI and if I'm rambling too much, once again. lol

frusciante

Just been reading this read.. good on you!

I definitely second the idea of getting DDR or another dance mat game at home if you have a game console. They're heaps of fun and I always feel myself working out after even 5 minutes of it!

RedRibbon

If you feel a bit conscious exercising in front of other people, get the Wii Fit and doe the stepping exercises etc.. on that.

I can't believe someone has a username which is the surname of my star husband, frusciante, I'm looking at you!

Latest posts