Freelancing for MAC

tattletale

Do freelancers get discounts of any kind yet? i saw some old posts from 2009 that say they don't but i thought maybe by now its changes?
nope because you are not permanent. if you become a freelancer you can apply for a pro card i believe. still no discounts for freelancers sorry

Marilu85

Thanks! Also, do you have any idea why to become permanent, you need to have full availability? I currently cannot work Mondays through Wednesdays because i have to attend cosmetology school for 9 hours all three days. I am however full available all other days. Shouldn't that be ok for a part time at least? I wondered if anyone had received a part time job without having full availability.

tattletale

Thanks! Also, do you have any idea why to become permanent, you need to have full availability? I currently cannot work Mondays through Wednesdays because i have to attend cosmetology school for 9 hours all three days. I am however full available all other days. Shouldn't that be ok for a part time at least? I wondered if anyone had received a part time job without having full availability.
couldnt tell you. im part time and work a lot they like to be able to call you incase of having someone call out instead of using freelance. its also harder to taylor the schedule just for one person its a head ache

xStarryEyedX

Depends on the manager. My boss required fully open availability, but they are not all like that. Especially if you only apply for like a 12 hour position.

JadeAudrey

I so badly want to work for MAC when I get out of high school! Well, right now I'm in my senior year in high school and since its Christmas time my local Macy's is hiring a fragrance seller for the holiday's. So, I applied and I hope to hear back from them soon. Do you think this fragrance job would help me a little bit more (experience wise) to get a job at MAC when I get out of high school? (I would work at MAC right now because I am 18 but I'm not because its several towns over from me.) The MAC closest to me is a counter in Nordstrom's. Also, I am shy so can you ladies give me some tips for when I get out of high school of how I can really impress the employer. Thanks!

AllyDVon

I so badly want to work for MAC when I get out of high school! Well, right now I'm in my senior year in high school and since its Christmas time my local Macy's is hiring a fragrance seller for the holiday's. So, I applied and I hope to hear back from them soon. Do you think this fragrance job would help me a little bit more (experience wise) to get a job at MAC when I get out of high school? (I would work at MAC right now because I am 18 but I'm not because its several towns over from me.) The MAC closest to me is a counter in Nordstrom's. Also, I am shy so can you ladies give me some tips for when I get out of high school of how I can really impress the employer. Thanks!
Retail experience would definitely help when getting a job at MAC. Even though it's a fun job and a great learning experience, we are still a company. So, knowing how to sell a product really helps. Getting experience in sells should also help you become more open, but another way to impress is to do you homework on MAC and really know the company. Also get to know the artists that way you're more comfortable around them! :)

JadeAudrey

Thank you so much for the reply!
I'm assuming you are a MAC artist?!
May I add you as a friend on here?
wavey.gif
-Jade

xStarryEyedX

It takes practice doing makeup, and working retail- so any little bit will help :).

JadeAudrey

Thanks ladies! I also wanted to mention that my friend wants me to her makeup for New Year's. I'm definetely not going to do it for free because I will be using MAC and other high end brands. I figured I would take the opportunity to start my Makeup Artistry portfolio (I will also take pictures and list what products I used to achieve the look, and also if I ever want to recreate it on myself or someone else.) So, my question is, how much should I charge her? Also, what can I use as a makeup artistry portfolio and where can I get one? Thanks again!
amuse.gif

AllyDVon

Thanks ladies! I also wanted to mention that my friend wants me to her makeup for New Year's. I'm definetely not going to do it for free because I will be using MAC and other high end brands. I figured I would take the opportunity to start my Makeup Artistry portfolio (I will also take pictures and list what products I used to achieve the look, and also if I ever want to recreate it on myself or someone else.) So, my question is, how much should I charge her? Also, what can I use as a makeup artistry portfolio and where can I get one? Thanks again! :amused:​
I'm not 100% sure what you should charge because it really depends on your skill. But personally I would never charge more than $30 for a friend no matter how well I think I can do. Also, Joanns sells really pretty portfolio's for artwork but it fits pictures perfectly. There is a few different sizes. They have 1/2 off coupons all the time so I got mine for $10 and it's REALLY nice!

xStarryEyedX

Thanks ladies! I also wanted to mention that my friend wants me to her makeup for New Year's. I'm definetely not going to do it for free because I will be using MAC and other high end brands. I figured I would take the opportunity to start my Makeup Artistry portfolio (I will also take pictures and list what products I used to achieve the look, and also if I ever want to recreate it on myself or someone else.) So, my question is, how much should I charge her? Also, what can I use as a makeup artistry portfolio and where can I get one? Thanks again!
amuse.gif
Depends on how good of a friend she is, I never charged my close friends personally... If she's more of a sort-of friend and you do end up charging her, I couldn't really say how much to charge since it depends on where you live...From there though- charge what you think your time is worth..

JadeAudrey

Great! Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, ladies.
Have a good day!
- Jade; aspiring makeup artist
peace2.gif

YUMYUMYMUA

Depends on how good of a friend she is, I never charged my close friends personally... If she's more of a sort-of friend and you do end up charging her, I couldn't really say how much to charge since it depends on where you live...From there though- charge what you think your time is worth..
I usually charge around $50 for friends and around $65/$70 for everyone else since I am a beginner.

ArilovesMAC

Hi im new to speckt
I just recently got hired as a freelance artist folr MAC i was told that my start date would be DEC18 2012 today is DEC26 2012
and i still havent recieved my employee number im very excited and eager to start working is there anything i can do?o

Also i want to get a MAC Pro card. it requires to forms of proof. i dont have a cosmo liscence or anything all i have is my buisness car
is there anything else i can use since i work for MAC as freelancce?c

JadeAudrey

You didn't go to any sort of beauty school or anything like that? If you look online you can find out all the different things you can do to get a MAC Pro card. There are also plenty of videos on Youtube. I know for sure that you can get a MAC Pro card if you went to beauty school for hair, cosmetology, nails, esthetics, and you can even get it if you went to school for photography and I think if you are a model you can too!
thmbup.gif
I would just look up videos on Youtube & research online! Hope I helped!

So i waited until i read this entire thread before i commented on anything. I recently landed a job as a freelance artist for MAC and i am sooo excited. I would love to hear more stories about how your first day went. I am so nervous!!

Latest posts