Girlyvue.com

user79

Sent my form off! Anyone else done so? Please let other affected gurus know about this and urge them to take action, hopefully the webhost will respond and have this crappy site taken down.

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by prppygrl69
Ok so i have a question about this whole stealing videos thing. I google my usernames every so often to make sure people aren't stealing my stuff,and i have found TONS of sites with my videos on them as well as other guru's but i figured it was so biggie. Should we take action on those other sites too?

My videos are on many other sites because I allow embedding, which means other sites can use the embedding code given on Youtube and place the video on their page.

The difference is that if a viewer sees that video on another website, by clicking on the video it will take them to my Youtube page, which first of all gains me more viewers and potential subscribers, it gives credit to the copyright owner (creator), and if you are a Youtube partner, you will also generate additional revenue because your embedded ads will still show up in embedded videos.

However, this site recaptured and rehosted the videos entirely, meaning there is no linkback to the original creator of the videos to their Youtube channel, the viewer will have no idea who the actual video maker is. Therein lies the difference. You can choose to allow embedding of your videos, but not allow other sites to recapture and rehost, even if credit is given. No permission was attained beforehand by Girlyvue.

You have the option on Youtube to disallow embedding, that is up to you.

prppygrl69

Ahh i get it now. I only visited the site once and saw there are only videos....no info about the creator and no link. So i think i got it now,thanks for the info! I can see how other sites get you visitors. I get lots of people sending me messages on YT about using my videos on their site,but i'm always scared of this happening.

user79

Girlyvue is trying to get out of this by saying they were going to contact people later and ask for permission that it was just some beta testing thing and that they weren't claiming to be the creators. (They emailed me about it before.)

Don't believe that, it's BS. Even a child would know: attain permission first, then rehost! Especially with ads placed on their site, they are just using stolen videos to create website content so that they will gain hits, because they have ads placed on the site so that will generate revenue from them.

I've had a few offers from similar websites and they ALWAYS ask for permission first!

astronaut

One of my videos are hosted on this site. My goal is to get this site down. I will fill out the forms and fax them asap. I was actually considering legal action. My friend is a lawyer and even though this isn't her specialty, I was planning on consulting with her.

xHalf

Heyy, i just joined this becuase the exact thing is happening to me.
nonono.gif
I have a video uploaded on youtube with the user name xHalf, talking about my sitution. I am sooo mad this is happening, i'm such a small guru and i can't believe stuff like this happens! Good thing this was created or else i wouldn't know what to do!
yes.gif

I mean this girl commented on my videos attacking back to my subscribers.. i mean isn't that rude, the thing was between me and her. I deleted them because i didn't want any hating on my videos. I'm just trying to sort this out. I blocked her on youtube, i hope she doesn't go around and attacking those who are talking about this!
angry.gif

Hope this get's sorted out soon.
thmbup.gif

MissResha

youtube should sue actually. not only is this site a direct rip of theirs, but they're also stealing content from youtube. shame.

user79

Just an update, I live chatted with a rep from the hosting service and they told me that any copyright claim letters must be signed. I updated my post with this information, I printed mine out, signed and scanned it, then sent it back as images by email. You could also fax, snail mail, or even take a picture with your camera of your signature and just attach that, if that makes sense. Any claim that doesn't have a signature cannot be processed because it's not legally valid.

fafinette21

Is there anyway you could get reimbursed for the revenue that was generated from the stolen videos? I know that isn't the main point of this action against them, but it would be interesting to find out.

user79

I thought about that, I'd have to contact Google Adsense and find out if they have any rules on that, since Youtube is owned by Google now too maybe they have something...since the ads are being displayed on a fraudulent website.

Found a link of how we can stop Google Adsense being displayed on this website, earning them money from our videos:
https://www.google.com/adsense/suppo...py?answer=9894

Frosting

Unfortunately, it's so easy to steal videos from Youtube. You can get a Firefox extension called VideoDownloader and have the file on your computer in a matter of minutes, so this is probably going to continue to be a problem. How could these people think they would get away with this?

Panamenanegra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium
I would think that GoDaddy is limited in what they can do to help as they are only the domain name registrar. Your best bet is to contact the ISP who hosts the website directly...

Their host is: Welcome to SoftLayer

It's probably best if you contact them and explain to them what has happened so they can help you.

Thanks for that! I thought GoDaddy was the host but they said they would do something about it anyway *shrugs*

Either way the site is still up which means no one's really contacting them.

Panamenanegra

Basically I had the right idea. Write the host. But the wrong host name. I'm very sorry ya'll. I just wanted to get the ball rolling because I was getting so many IM's and messages about it that I felt it was ridiculous that no one tried to contact their hosting company. Glad everyone is on the right path now though.

Delerium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamenanegra
Thanks for that! I thought GoDaddy was the host but they said they would do something about it anyway *shrugs*

Either way the site is still up which means no one's really contacting them.

No problem. I knew what you were trying to get at! The thing with the registrar is that they are pretty limited in what they can do since they only provide the domain registration.

I think that some gurus have had their videos removed from the site. In this case, I imagine if enough complaints are received that the host may bring the whole site down, but otherwise, they will just force them to remove the copyrighted content.

It may take a bit of time though.

user79

I called Softlayer twice and basically got nowhere. The rep on the phone said though that they do require some time to work through the complaints because they get swamped with similar situations daily. I also sent numerous emails but haven't received a reply. The problem is that by now my own videos have been removed by Girlyvue so the original letter I sent with the copyright complaint won't really show them much anymore. That's why I called to try and speak to someone about it but I don't know if anything has been done on their side.

I'll try and contact them again next week, we do have to give them a bit of time I think. But it is very frustrating!

I do for a fact know that several gurus have written formal complaint letters, including myself, so I'm hoping the host does take this seriously.

I strongly advise people to contact Adsense because that will cut off their income source, and since Adsense and Youtube are both owned by Google, I'm inclined to think they will act faster than the webhost. I have contacted YT previously about a copyright infringement before on a video someone stole, and the video was removed within 1 or 2 days. (Please read post 18 in this thread to find out how to contact Adsense on this issue.) I can't contact them myself because my own videos have been removed now, so it's up to others now!

Delerium

Unfortunately, it seems there are way too many people trying to make money off other people's content. As much as this sucks, it's not an isolated incident of theft of property on the internet. It's really quite sad, actually.

user79

I'm getting a 403 Forbidden message when I go on girlyvue.com

Could this just be more intermittent service or was the website removed?