Hakuhodo - makers of MAC brushes

niccig

ughh im waiting for some koyudo brushes. 2 of them are squirrel. No way on hell i want to be combing a brush.
ohboy.gif

Thanks for letting Us know.
Lol hate to break it to you, but my Koyudo red squirrel cheek brush is the worst offender! But it only takes like 5 seconds so I don't mind :)

LoriL

Ladies who are familiar with this brand: what are their must have brushes? I've been looking to invest in a good, basic set of brushes for a while now. I currently use old bare minerals brushes, sephora brand, real techniques, and bits I've picked up along the way, like from TJ Maxx and what's come with sets (think UD naked palette brushes.) My daily makeup routine includes liquid foundation (I apply with a beauty blender but am open to trying a brush), pro longwear concealer under the eyes and on blemishes (I currently apply this with my fingers), setting powder, powder blush, powder highlight, and pressed eyeshadows. I will use loose pigments on a rare occasion. I use eye brushes most frequently, I'd say. Hope this makes sense, I need some recommendations. I'm looking to spend $300 or less, too.

DMcG9

Hope this makes sense, I need some recommendations. I'm looking to spend $300 or less, too.
I really like using a brush for liquid foundation. The first time I tried one was a SE of the MAC 190 but I wanted to get a full-length one and the comparison to the MAC 190 in Hakuhodo is the G545 ($24) or the G519 #20 ($48). I splurged and went for the G519 #20 and I love it very much.
I have a medium and large pointed Yachiyo also but that's all I have for now so other members who have more experience with other face and eye brushes will be able to advise you when they see your posting. HTH
peace2.gif

niccig

Hope this makes sense, I need some recommendations. I'm looking to spend $300 or less, too.
Here are my favorites in a few different categories:

Eyeshadow lay-down: G5507 ($18)
Crease blending: J5523 ($18)
Detail blending: J5529 ($16)
Pencil: G5514 ($16) - this one is pretty small, so the J533 might be better for average/large eyes

Blush: J210 ($44)
Highlight: G5521 ($34)
Powder: Black fan ($60)
Concealer blending: I like the J214R ($27), but honestly I like the EcoTools Deluxe Concealer brush better because it's denser. I haven't found a Hak that I like better, though I know some folks use the J5523 for this.
Foundation: I don't have any Hak brushes for foundation, but I like the Wayne Goss 01 which is very similar to the G5552 ($45). It's pretty small though, so the G5556 ($69) might be better.

All of that comes out just over $300 before shipping. If I had to ditch one to stay under budget, it would be the J214R.

LoriL

I really like using a brush for liquid foundation. The first time I tried one was a SE of the MAC 190 but I wanted to get a full-length one and the comparison to the MAC 190 in Hakuhodo is the G545 ($24) or the G519 #20 ($48). I splurged and went for the G519 #20 and I love it very much.  I have a medium and large pointed Yachiyo also but that's all I have for now so other members who have more experience with other face and eye brushes will be able to advise you when they see your posting. HTH :peace:
Thank you so much for responding! What's so special about the Yachio? Is it just an all around good powder brush, or do they also perform well with blushes, highlights, and contouring? Do you know if there is a noticeable difference between the pointed and non pointed versions? The pictures of them on the website don't look too different from one another.

LoriL

Here are my favorites in a few different categories: Eyeshadow lay-down: G5507 ($18) Crease blending: J5523 ($18) Detail blending: J5529 ($16) Pencil: G5514 ($16) - this one is pretty small, so the J533 might be better for average/large eyes Blush: J210 ($44) Highlight: G5521 ($34) Powder: Black fan ($60) Concealer blending: I like the J214R ($27), but honestly I like the EcoTools Deluxe Concealer brush better because it's denser. I haven't found a Hak that I like better, though I know some folks use the J5523 for this. Foundation: I don't have any Hak brushes for foundation, but I like the Wayne Goss 01 which is very similar to the G5552 ($45). It's pretty small though, so the G5556 ($69) might be better. All of that comes out just over $300 before shipping. If I had to ditch one to stay under budget, it would be the J214R.
Thank you so much for breaking it down for me, that's exactly what I'm looking for!

mosha010

Thank you so much for responding! What's so special about the Yachio? Is it just an all around good powder brush, or do they also perform well with blushes, highlights, and contouring? Do you know if there is a noticeable difference between the pointed and non pointed versions? The pictures of them on the website don't look too different from one another.
i use the medium yachiyo pointed one for powder highliters and i lvoe it cause its the perfect size for my face. i think it would be too small for blushes.. but i highlight with it nicely

DMcG9

i use the medium yachiyo pointed one for powder highliters and i lvoe it cause its the perfect size for my face. i think it would be too small for blushes.. but i highlight with it nicely
I agree with Mosha. The medium Yachiyo is small and really good for highlighting. I use the large one for applying Mineralize Skin Finish Natural or even blushes as I haven't invested in a better blush brush than the other one I have right now.
The purple Yachiyo brushes have a flatter shape to the brush hairs along the top and the Pointed ones are more curved but not actually 'pointed' like you might expect, i.e. more obviously with a sharper point shape.

kimibos

Anyone Noticed Hakuhodo added the S100 series black.

Ones with Gold Ferrules.

http://www.hakuhodousa.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_17

i want the 142 n 146.

allthingsglam

Yes they send me a email when I did my last order saying that the newer brushes will be number and that their is no guaranteed that the brush I recieved will be number until they get rid of all the older ones I ended up with the not numbered one but I love it I may wait a couple months before i order again to make sure I get number ones

kimibos

f0b810e6_Screenshot_2014-04-20-22-44-29.png
Pic from Insta. I really wish Hakuhodo USA would do some colorful Sets. like the ones they do Exclusive to Japan. im having some Major Envy.

kimibos

Yes they send me a email when I did my last order saying that the newer brushes will be number and that their is no guaranteed that the brush I recieved will be number until they get rid of all the older ones I ended up with the not numbered one but I love it I may wait a couple months before i order again to make sure I get number ones
yep.

Latest posts