Hakuhodo - makers of MAC brushes

niccig

Pic from Insta. I really wish Hakuhodo USA would do some colorful Sets. like the ones they do Exclusive to Japan. im having some Major Envy.
I'm pretty sure you can special order the Japanese sets by contacting customer service - they had a post on their blog about it a while back! I've never actually done it though.

kimibos

Well, those are just beautiful!
Yes!
ssad.gif

recordaras

Hi everyone!
wavey.gif

I registered after reading all 26 pages of this thread (as well as countless blogs), since it seems the more I learn about Hakuhodo, the more confused I get. I even tried reaching out to Hakuhodo Customer Service, but without much success, so you are my last hope!

I'm currently searching for a blush brush, however I can see right away that the J210 and J110 will be too big for me. I have a small face, and a lot of popular brushes like the Ecotools blush brush are just too large for me to get the apples of my cheeks and not everything around them as well.

I started looking at highlighter brushes, but those actually look too small. It seems like the S111 would be a good fit size-wise, but it's just too expensive and I can't seem to find a comparable option in the basic lines.

So as you can see, I'm very much lost here! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this - maybe there's something I'm missing?..

ETA: I only use powder blush (Tarte, Kryolan), and prefer a fairly light application

DMcG9

Hi everyone!
wavey.gif

I registered after reading all 26 pages of this thread (as well as countless blogs), since it seems the more I learn about Hakuhodo, the more confused I get. I even tried reaching out to Hakuhodo Customer Service, but without much success, so you are my last hope!

I'm currently searching for a blush brush, however I can see right away that the J210 and J110 will be too big for me. I have a small face, and a lot of popular brushes like the Ecotools blush brush are just too large for me to get the apples of my cheeks and not everything around them as well.

I started looking at highlighter brushes, but those actually look too small. It seems like the S111 would be a good fit size-wise, but it's just too expensive and I can't seem to find a comparable option in the basic lines.

So as you can see, I'm very much lost here! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this - maybe there's something I'm missing?..

ETA: I only use powder blush (Tarte, Kryolan), and prefer a fairly light application
Hi recordaras,

Perhaps you should consider one of the large Yachiyos. Even though they are described as good for highlighters, I use mine for blush at the moment and it's doing the job well. Although it's listed as 'large' it's actually not that big. It's nice and soft and made of white goat hair.
I don't know what the other ladies are using for a smaller blush brush than the J110, but I am sure others will have some suggestions too.

recordaras

Hi recordaras,

Perhaps you should consider one of the large Yachiyos. Even though they are described as good for highlighters, I use mine for blush at the moment and it's doing the job well. Although it's listed as 'large' it's actually not that big. It's nice and soft and made of white goat hair.
I don't know what the other ladies are using for a smaller blush brush than the J110, but I am sure others will have some suggestions too.
Thanks so much for the recommendation - I actually hadn't considered the Yachiyos since I *think* I prefer standard handles, but I'll now throw it back into the mix.

niccig

Hi everyone!
wavey.gif

I think the J210 might actually work for you - my face is super-small too and it works really well for me. If it helps, here's a terrible phone pic since I happened to have it with me at work today:

I've also used the G5521 for blush, but depending on how hard your blushes are, I'm not sure if the soft hair would pick up enough product for you.

PeachTwist

Okay.

I have recently come into a chunk of money which was owed (win!)

I need a list of must-have brushes for eyes/face, ladies! Lol

mosha010

Okay.

Holy found money batman! Yayyyyy!!!!! Hmm what do u use face wise the MOST: Foundation? Blush? Set powder?

niccig

Okay.

Woohoo! Surprise money is always awesome.

I did a blog post about this recently, so I'm going to be uber-lazy and cut & paste it :) These are my favorites on different budgets.

$50 Budget
J5523 ($18) – I’m sure this is probably the most-recommended Hakuhodo brush of them all! It’s very similar in shape and size to the MAC 217, but it’s softer and doesn’t shed (at least, neither of mine have). It’s really efficient for blending and crease work, and I’ve heard of folks using it for concealer too.
G5507 ($18) – This is a great laydown brush, even for my small lids. It’s dense with a flat, tapered tip, so it picks up a ton of shadow and holds onto it well – which means less fallout.
J521 D1 ($14) – Possibly the itty-bittiest brush I’ve ever seen. I love this one for tightlining, and it also works for smudgy liner and wings.

Total: $50

$100 Budget
All of the above, plus-
J210 ($44) – Yes, it’s kind of pricey, but it’s also really versatile. The white goat hair means you can use it with powder or cream products, and it stands up really well to frequent washing. I use it mostly for blush, but it’s also good for contouring. I know some folks like it for liquid foundation too, but it’s a little more flexible than I like for that.
Total: $94

$250 Budget
Again, everything above, with these additions-
G5514 ($16) – A great, tiny little pencil brush for really precise detail work.
J5529 ($16) – Even though it’s tapered, with use the end fluffs out to a more rounded shape, which makes it great for blending in smaller areas.
S146Bk ($23) – Ok, so I have to disclaim here – this is the only one on this list that I don’t actually own. But as far as I can tell, the brush head is a perfect dupe for the Wayne Goss 04, which I reach for just about every day because it’s perfect for applying and blending my crease color all at the same time. And who doesn’t want to save time?
G5521 ($34) – This uber-soft squirrel/goat blend is great for powder contours and highlighters. I’ve also used it for blush on occasion, though it’s just a tiny bit to soft to use with harder or less-pigmented blushes.
Black Fan ($60) – Another absolutely lovely squirrel/goat brush. I got this one to use with my Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders, and it picks up the perfect amount. It also works really nicely with loose setting/finishing powders, as long as you make sure to tap off the excess product.
Total: $243

Also nice to have
If you’re really just planning to go all-out on upgrading your brush wardrobe, here are some others that I wouldn’t consider strictly essential, but they are pretty great.
G5528 ($29) – Even though it’s blue squirrel (and therefore really soft), this brush is so dense that it picks up a lot of eyeshadow in one swipe. It’s one of my favorites for placing my crease color.
J532 ($27) – Now, you might think “What would I possibly do with an eyeshadow brush this big?” And it’s a valid question. I got it because I wanted a flat brush that would cover my whole eye area (lash line to brow) in a couple swipes, since I like to use a neutral eyeshadow base before I start in with my other colors. I was not disappointed! It’s also really nice for spreading eye primer.
J104 ($80) – This is a huge, incredibly fluffy, super-soft powder brush. It will work with pressed powders, but it really shines with loose powder. I will say, though, that this is my only Hakuhodo that has slight issues with shedding. It’s really minor – it’ll lose maybe 3-4 hairs over a month – but I felt I should mention it anyway.

mosha010

Agree with all the above with instead of the 210, is get the 110 out of personal preference of white goat. ^^^

PeachTwist

Holy batman!

Thank you, ladies.

So in my cart I currently have...

J5523 (Was already there, yay go me!)
J5529 (Already there too, whoop!)
J210 (Looked at the 110 but the price difference made me go "womp womp")
girlhaha.gif

G5507
G5514
G5521
Black Fan

I haven't placed the order yet - going to take another look on the site again tomorrow but I think that'd be a decent haul to start with!

allthingsglam

Woohoo! Surprise money is always awesome. I did a blog post about this recently, so I'm going to be uber-lazy and cut & paste it :) These are my favorites on different budgets. $50 Budget J5523 ($18) – I’m sure this is probably the most-recommended Hakuhodo brush of them all! It’s very similar in shape and size to the MAC 217, but it’s softer and doesn’t shed (at least, neither of mine have). It’s really efficient for blending and crease work, and I’ve heard of folks using it for concealer too. G5507 ($18) – This is a great laydown brush, even for my small lids. It’s dense with a flat, tapered tip, so it picks up a ton of shadow and holds onto it well – which means less fallout. J521 D1 ($14) – Possibly the itty-bittiest brush I’ve ever seen. I love this one for tightlining, and it also works for smudgy liner and wings. Total: $50 $100 Budget All of the above, plus- J210 ($44) – Yes, it’s kind of pricey, but it’s also really versatile. The white goat hair means you can use it with powder or cream products, and it stands up really well to frequent washing. I use it mostly for blush, but it’s also good for contouring. I know some folks like it for liquid foundation too, but it’s a little more flexible than I like for that. Total: $94 $250 Budget Again, everything above, with these additions- G5514 ($16) – A great, tiny little pencil brush for really precise detail work. J5529 ($16) – Even though it’s tapered, with use the end fluffs out to a more rounded shape, which makes it great for blending in smaller areas. S146Bk ($23) – Ok, so I have to disclaim here – this is the only one on this list that I don’t actually own. But as far as I can tell, the brush head is a perfect dupe for the Wayne Goss 04, which I reach for just about every day because it’s perfect for applying and blending my crease color all at the same time. And who doesn’t want to save time? G5521 ($34) – This uber-soft squirrel/goat blend is great for powder contours and highlighters. I’ve also used it for blush on occasion, though it’s just a tiny bit to soft to use with harder or less-pigmented blushes. Black Fan ($60) – Another absolutely lovely squirrel/goat brush. I got this one to use with my Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders, and it picks up the perfect amount. It also works really nicely with loose setting/finishing powders, as long as you make sure to tap off the excess product. Total: $243 Also nice to have If you’re really just planning to go all-out on upgrading your brush wardrobe, here are some others that I wouldn’t consider strictly essential, but they are pretty great. G5528 ($29) – Even though it’s blue squirrel (and therefore really soft), this brush is so dense that it picks up a lot of eyeshadow in one swipe. It’s one of my favorites for placing my crease color. J532 ($27) – Now, you might think “What would I possibly do with an eyeshadow brush this big?” And it’s a valid question. I got it because I wanted a flat brush that would cover my whole eye area (lash line to brow) in a couple swipes, since I like to use a neutral eyeshadow base before I start in with my other colors. I was not disappointed! It’s also really nice for spreading eye primer. J104 ($80) – This is a huge, incredibly fluffy, super-soft powder brush. It will work with pressed powders, but it really shines with loose powder. I will say, though, that this is my only Hakuhodo that has slight issues with shedding. It’s really minor – it’ll lose maybe 3-4 hairs over a month – but I felt I should mention it anyway.
awesome

glowingface

I have 2 questions.

I love MAC 129 brush for applying blush. I mean the size and the shape. But I find it slightly scratchy. I want to upgrade. Can anyone suggest a decent blush brush.
I find MAC 116 too small and I DO NOT enjoy the shape of Real Techniques Blush Brush

Currently, I am thinking about Hakuhodo brushes... But it is probably the most confusing brand.
Also, any comment on Chanel #4 and Bobbi Brown blush brush is welcome. These are on my radar too.

My second question:

I really need brush suggestion for applying cream blush. I like MAC 130, but I am not a fan of MAC 188 or MAC 187. Recently picked MUFE and Chanel cream to powder formula blush. I am looking for something in paddle shape.

If these questions are posted under wrong topic, please let me know where to post this.

Thank you ladies. I will wait for the replies.

kimibos

The Haku J210 is very similar to the Mac 129. It has more hairs and its more soft.

I have the Chanel #4 Blush Brush and i like it. i dont have any problems with it. i dont have the MAC 116 and although i have a small face i dont mind the size of the Real Techniques brush. i just use the tip, no need to use the whole brush.

As for the Cream Blushes you should go to the Chanel Thread and ask @Medgal07 She is a PRO With those. Specially the Chanel ones.