Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince WARNING: MOVIE SPOILERS.

Boasorte

Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I'm so mad I do't have any money to see it! I'm trying to get my little sister to take me ( how sad)
Harry Potter calls for desperate meaures, lol
what about Slughorn, was the actor who playe him any good? Did Luna have a bigger role in this one than the last one?

Mabelle

Luna had a bigger role.
And i liked slughorn. He wasn't walrus like, but he was likable, and fiarly accurate imo

emmy282

I went to see it yesterday. I have to say, not that impressed.

I hate the way they take bits out, and then make things up that aren't even in the book!!!
girl_devil.gif

SPOILERS

IMO, they left out most of the memories from the pensieve, they didn't develop the Harry/Ginny relationship properly, no funeral!!!, etc.
Also, WTF with the Death Eaters at the Weasleys, burning the house down???
But most dissapointing to me was the Dumbledore/Dracco scene, and thereafter, because Harry is supposed to be invisible AND paralized. To me it's a key point. Dumbledore immobilises Harry, instead of protecting himself from Dracco, thus allowing himself to be disarmed. This shows the lengths he is willing to go to to protect Harry. Harry is unable to do anything to help Dumbledore, for he is paralized. Had he not been, it is obvious he would have tried to help. In the film however, he is neither invisible, nor immobilized, and just stands by, watching everything from below.

All in all, rather dissapointing to me, just hope they do better with the 7th.
yes.gif

Shimmer

explanation of spoilers:

The reason Harry isn't paralyzed by the Body Bind spell is because it shows the high value he places on giving his word and obeying dumbledore, at any cost.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
I must say up until this movie i HATED Gambon with a burning rage. He is just not Dumbledore!! Dumbledore looks regal (albeit batty) with pure white shining hair, and sweeping robes. Gambon looks grubby, which granted is a director's/ Costume Designer's choice, but still.

I detest the portrayal of Dumbledore in the series. Dumbledore twinkles, and has a fantastic sense of humor. This guy has dead eyes.
Quote:
I found him to play dumbledore as very quick to anger, overly aggressive, almost irrational at certain points. Dumbledore was always so calm and caring. He was very trusting. He was funny with his weird little remarks. He was soft spoken. He never made you feel like he was incredibly powerful and that he could fuck your shit up in a second.

Yes.
Quote:
Infact Gambon recently said that he thought Dumbledore SHOULD be intimidating (that is the farthest thing from Dumbledore!!!). He also said he has never read the books. Suprise Suprise.

Urgh. See, just because he's an old guy with a beard doesn't mean he should be dumbledore.
Quote:
Honestly, i would have LOVED to see Patrick Stewart play Dumbledore. Throw a prosthetic nose and some againg makeup on him and bingo! I mean, we all know how fanatstic he was as professor X, who if you think about it is kinda similar to Dumbledore. They both are very powferful, have leadership roles in the schools and communities, father figures in certain ways, try to act the moral compass. I think Stewart could have had that childish essence that dumbledore often has. And oh man, when Dumbledore gets all badass and is kicking the shit out of death eaters.... I think my loins would have exploded.

So in conclusion; when i remake the HP series into 7 7 hour installments (plus an addition 6 hours for the last one... lets be honest) Patrick Stewart will be my Dumbledore!

i think i just geeked out.

It happens to me too.
oh.gif

Ruby_Woo

Omg! Patrick Stewart! I forgot about him, yes he would be awesome! He is a spectacular actor.

And I do agree w/ the fact that Gambon's portrayal of Dumbledore is very dark, I just figured it was due to the fact that the theme of the book was a lot darker.

I cannot wait for the next movies. Im cutting the directors/writors slack because my husband and I are really into film and I personally think that the HP movies have been pretty good, there is always more they can add more they can take away, but so far they have been decent. I feel like no book to movie is ever good enough for anyone.

I wish JK would write one more HP book, but based off the ending, I don't think she will.

Mabelle

she said she might write an encyclodeia type book for charity. It would include a bit about the rebuilding of the magical world and such.

PAtrick Stewart gives me serious boner jams.

Boasorte

Quote:
- Someone mentioned they might include the funeral at the beginning of the next film.
- You're not supposed to fully understand snapes actions. I mean, we all speculated after reading it (" Severus Please!") but no one knew for sure until book 7 came about.
- Dumbledore briefly eludes to the fact that destroying a Horcrux can fuck your shit up. he says something like that and waves his hand. Brief, but i think they'll talk about it more in the next film (when they do the King's Cross chapter)

Infact Gambon recently said that he thought Dumbledore SHOULD be intimidating (that is the farthest thing from Dumbledore!!!). He also said he has never read the books. Suprise Suprise.

i think i just geeked out.

rotflmao @ f**k your s**t up, that's funny I don't think Dumbledore has a potty mouth lmao
he never read HP books, ha! What kind of actor doesn't research of part before playing a role? Maybe a lot, but with something like HP, he shouldve read the books, Cliffnotes, SOMETHING, did he not know there are millions of diehard fans, who want to see the characters how they imagined?
that man is a nightmare

staceb1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
rotflmao @ f**k your s**t up, that's funny I don't think Dumbledore has a potty mouth lmao
he never read HP books, ha! What kind of actor doesn't research of part before playing a role? Maybe a lot, but with something like HP, he shouldve read the books, Cliffnotes, SOMETHING, did he not know there are millions of diehard fans, who want to see the characters how they imagined?
that man is a nightmare

I might be wrong, but I don't think Alan Rickman read the books. And he's the perfect Snape. I guess it all just depends on that actor.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm an obsessive fan of the books, and overall the movies have been pretty good. I'm very excited to see it though, I've read some great reviews of it.

I totally agree with all the comments about Dumbledore though. I had high hopes for Michael Gambon after seeing him in the Prisoner of Azkaban. He had that kind of battyness, and understanding that I always pictured. But by the Goblet of Fire I was devestated. Dumbledore would have NEVER pushed Harry. That just made me so angry.

Richard Harris was the absolutely most perfect Dumbledore (in my opinion). He just had a patience and kindness and a silly sense of humor that I always imagined. He was also slightly imposing, I certainly wouldn't have wanted to mess with him. If only he had been about 10 - 15 years younger.....

staceb1990

Quote:
you and me both. If i made these movies they would be 7 hours long each.

Gosh, I think it would be amazing if BBC made a Harry Potter mini-series, like the Pride and Prejudice one (only with a lot more special effects
greengrin.gif
). Each book could be like 7 hours long, give or take a few hours. They could keep every character and all of the subplots (specifically Ludo Bagman and S.P.E.W).

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceb1990
I might be wrong, but I don't think Alan Rickman read the books. And he's the perfect Snape. I guess it all just depends on that actor.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm an obsessive fan of the books, and overall the movies have been pretty good. I'm very excited to see it though, I've read some great reviews of it.

I totally agree with all the comments about Dumbledore though. I had high hopes for Michael Gambon after seeing him in the Prisoner of Azkaban. He had that kind of battyness, and understanding that I always pictured. But by the Goblet of Fire I was devestated. Dumbledore would have NEVER pushed Harry. That just made me so angry.

Richard Harris was the absolutely most perfect Dumbledore (in my opinion). He just had a patience and kindness and a silly sense of humor that I always imagined. He was also slightly imposing, I certainly wouldn't have wanted to mess with him. If only he had been about 10 - 15 years younger.....

Alan Rickman met with JKR during the filming of the first movie and JKR told him what she wanted him to do to bring Snape to life. He had more back story on Snape than anyone did until the 6th and 7th books.

Mabelle

Quote:

You're right, he didn't read the books. But like shimmer said, he had access to back story from the author. Also, Ralph Fiennes didn't read them either but he's been FLIPPIN PERFECT AWESOME!!!!! as Voldemort. He just does evil so well. Oh man, i think i need to change my pantaloons.

Richard Harris was fantastic. It's really too bad he passed so early in the series. I had a bad feeling he would though. I'm glad Maggie Smith seems to be doing well.

I just don't get where Gambon was getting this interpretation from. Like, did no one speak to him? Did he not see the first two movies? He seemed to toss that all aside and do his own thing.

Anyway, i saw it again tonight. Just as fantastic. And i cried more.

Kiraling

I just saw it recently, I'm trying to figure what was left out from the books -- not that it matters, it was brilliant!. They did as much as they could for 2+ hours. It's been forever since I read the 6th though (read it after Midnight the day it came out).

I'm a little disappointed they left out Snape's class entirely. Wasn't it supposed to be a big shock to think Dumbledore finally let Snape have what he desired, teaching Defense Against the Dark arts?. Only for him to off Dumbledore at the end.

They also left out -why- Snape was the Half Blood Prince. He just basically threw out "Yes, _I_ am the Half Blood Prince!" at the end to Potter with no background. I think Snape's history really humanized him in the books, which made me question his true intentions for killing Dumbledore before people started figuring out he was actually good and redeeming himself.

Okay. That's coming from someone who's favourite character is Snape from the entire series, for whatever reason, so feel free to ignore me. I bawled at Snape's death in the 7th book and didn't shed a single tear when Harry was supposedly "walking to his death".

Also, Richard Harris WAS Dumbledore. Period. The way he talked was educated and wise with a cute sense of humour, exactly what I pictured him as from the books with the lemon drops. This imposter that took his place since the 3rd movie was finally tolerable in the 6th, but he seemed like a skyhigh hippie the moment he showed up on screen for me.

Anyone else surprised how aged Alan Rickman looked in this movie?. It's to be expected, but I was shocked!. Dunno why. I was really happy with the way he portrayed his emotions when he killed Dumbledore in the end, I think it was the only time you really saw his character "break" in a subtle way.

Edit: I waited for Snape to yell "DON'T. CALL. ME. COWARD!." at the end but he never did, did he?.

Boasorte

Quote:

I'm obsessive over the books as well. Rowling is such an amazing writer, and those books really always have me going back andforth to piece things toghether. Like in the last book when Voldemort was talking to Snape, and Snape was just looking at the snake, and then when he gave Harry his memories, it showed what Dumbledore said about Nagini being a Horcrux.
I wonder if Snape never died, and HArry still knew what he did about Snape and his mom, would they have ever been NICE to each other?

Mabelle

I think Harry would make the effort. I'm not sure snape would. I mean, he might be a better nicer to the chosen one if he succeeded... but let's not forget Harry was an eager student when he first showed up. He had no problem with anyone, including snape. He tried really hard. But snape hated him because of his father, and i dont think that will ever change. I think Harry would (and was) able to put aside there mutual hatred once he learned all he did for his mother and her son.

alka1

I don't know what to say tbh. The first few movies were great.. they were fun, entertaining, and relatively easy to follow. I haven't read the books (I know, I know..) so I feel like the most recent movies are only catered to those who know the books well. It's hard to follow the story.. the themes are just so deep and intricate and some scenes just drag on forever. I'm sure I'd enjoy the movie better if I had read the book and was familiar with the characters.

Don't get me wrong - I love the story, the characters.. but that is based only what I have seen in the movies.

I have to admit I was falling asleep halfway through the movie. And I never fall asleep at the movies, ever. And it wasn't just me! My mom was asleep and so were most people at my theatre (I could hear them yawning, and people kept stretching and moving in their seats..)

the only thing that made this worth watching? the McLaggen guy.. Freddie Stroma. Yum! What a dreamboat.

Boasorte

Just got back from seeing the movie...
WHAT THE FUCK THAT BLOODY MOVIE WAS EFFING BULLSHI*!!!
I'm pissed the eff off
On the other hand, Tom Felton/Malfoy is effing sexy

MrsRjizzle

i had to sneak off to the movie theater and watch this alone. no one wanted to go with me! wahhh.. jk. probably better that way.
I liked this movie alot but I am looking much more forward to the next one. I cant even think about what happened in half blood prince, to excited for what is going to happen when he starts hunting down the horcrux's!