How do/would you feel about people borrowing your Mac?

midnightlouise

Well this sounds pathetic but I don't have this problem because I don't have alot of friends lol! Most of the ones I do have are men, and these particular guys don't wear makeup. I have 2 girl friends, and they are not the type of people to ask to borrow things anyway. My family will ask me to do their makeup for them, so I just bring my stuff over & take it back home when I'm done. In general though, I don't loan anything to people except for books, (paperbacks only!) and I'm very picky about who I loan those to. I'm anal about keeping my stuff nice, and these days others have so little respect for other people's things (or for other people for that matter) that it's just hard to make myself let my things out of my sight.

joytheobscure

Nope, wouldn't loan it out. Would gladly do their makeup. I let my sister use a vincent longo lipstick that hasn't returned yet. I don't lend CDs or makeup - my sister maybe- only because I will go swipe my stuff back. Mac costs too much to go loaning it out besides if it was important enough for me to go buy it - they can too or continue wearing their covergirl or mary kay, lol.

Jude

I was at my mom's house and opened her bathroom drawer to get a comb out and noticed a MAC lipstick in there. Okay... now, my mother has never owned anything MAC related so I had one of those hmmmmm moments. Oh my God... it was Oolong! My beloved mom swiped one of my LE lipsticks; one that I particularly loved, no less. I tried to explain to her the concept of LE and her response was "you have too much lipsticks anyway". Grrrrrr... I took it back, mom or no mom, no one messes with my LE. Haha.

I left her with a bunch of Lancome lipsticks so hopefully, that will pacify her. :/

CaliKris

Borrow? No never, but they can use it. The only friend that would really want to use it has more than I do! So its really not an issure. But I do have a 16yr. old neice that lives with me, which is just one more reason I am getting a train case with a lock. Its sucks to have to do, but I know her and she will swipe it the first chance she gets!

TM26

I guess in one sense I am lucky. Right now my kids and I live in a town where none of our family and friends live. (we are here until june then we move up to where my husband was transfered). Before that though, I use to do my sisters and friends make up all the time. I really enjoyed doing that. However MAC is where a lot of my extra money goes. To me, these items are prescious, especially the L/E items and some items cost quite a bit. I don't mind people using it at my house, but I don't lend it out. There are a few things that I just refuse to lend out (my purses/bags, camera and jewelery) and my make up collection is one of them. Some people collect designer clothes, coins, cd's.....I collect make up, especially MAC.

breathless

well,i have all guy friends and they don't seem to want any thing to do with mu.
but, i'd never let anybody borrow my mac.

contrabassoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
If a friend of mine uses it, i either give it to her or sell it on ebay saying 99% remains. :/ I have this fear.....

You know, unless it was true, it would be considered fraud. lol

Aussiechick28

I'm happy to use my own to do my friend's make-up, and i'm even happy for them to try my stuff on themselves (ie. if they're thinking of buying the colour and want to see how it looks), but there's no way i let it out of my sight!

kimmy

i don't usually lend anything to anyone. for the simple fact that everything i have, i had to work really hard for...and most of my friends don't understand the value my stuff has to me because they weren't made to work for all their stuff.

there's only two people who i'd even apply my mac makeup on, one is my sister and the other is a very good friend of mine. but i don't let either of them borrow any of it...or even use it on their own haha. i'm really protective over most of my stuff, especially expensive stuff like mac.

i know that sounds really materialistic...but honestly i have to work 2 hours just to buy one lipglass, so hell yeah i'm protective of the stuff!
lol.gif

SELFstyled

I don't like to share.
smiles.gif
I'm a total neat freak about my personal items, I don't want anyone else's germs on my stuff. lol

geeko

i lent a quad to my cousin before (she's living with me...so i'm more willing to lend her since we are all living under the same roof)

and a couple of shadows to my friend....

But my friend never returned my dazzlelight and light ray e/s to me after borrowing...BAH! but she did return the other 2 shadows she borrowed from me.

Showgirl

I do loan out my makeup and give away things I don't get the use out of.... I am a woman who buys way too much makeup, and I tend to tire of things quite easily and move on to something else.

At the same time, I do love pretty much every item I've ever bought and keep stuff I don't use much because I am stupidly and weirdly sentimental about makeup, esp MAC. I love to open up my makeup box and dig right to the bottom, pull out something that I ain't used in a while, play around with it and see what I can come up with - a new combo or something. It's all the fun of having a toybox when you were a kid, but for grown-ups :) and a great creative outlet that I treasure and jealously guard.....So I'm weirdly possessive about my makeup even though I *do* frequently loan items out.

My willingness to give stuff away/loan it out tends to be proportional to how much I spent on it, how easy it would be to replace, how much I like the item, how much I like the friend and also how good it looks on him/her!

I ended up eventually giving one of my favourite non-MAC lipsticks to my boyfriend EVEN THOUGH it was dc and a present from another friend because he really fell in love with the colour and kept borrowing it... but I was a bit sore about that, I didn't like to part with it at all, because of it being d/c and a gift, the only reason he got it in the end was he'd used up so much of it when he borrowed it that it seemed ridiculous to keep asking him for it back....

However, when I bought my first MAC blush and found it really didn't work for me at all, I was delighted for him to have it, because such a beautiful and comparatively expensive item needs lovin' that I wasn't going to give it.

I also gave a not-particularly-expensive but bloody-hard-to-find and beautiful e/s to a friend who was feeling very low and unglamourous due to some hard stuff going on in her life. I tried a bit on her and it looked AMAZING, and it was the first time I'd seen her smile in a while, so I said "look, you should just take that, the colour's GREAT on you babe I insist".

So I guess I'm a great big softy and although I'm really, really, really emotional and sentimental about my makeup collection (very few of my friends understand why I get so excited about mu), I'm *more* sentimental and emotional about my friends, so I do end up loaning stuff out or giving it away to people I care about.

And yes, sometimes I do regret it, lol! One of the most irritating things in the world is to find that a friend has lost or thrown out something I've given them - I tell myself "it's only makeup" but it feels like TREACHERY, lol!

a914butterfly

i only share my makeup with my daughter. anyway, its not very hygenic to share with anyone IMO, but i let my daughter use some cause i know she is clean lol. sometimes if i dont like something or know i could never finish it, i give it to her. im such a good mommmy!!

ARmakeupjunkie

I hate when people borrow any of my makeup, no matter the brand. Why? They will never take care of it as well as I do. I don't buy myself things to be torn up, messed up, or lost.

babylis12

The only people who borrow my makeup are my roommates and I trust them with it. They always ask and if something is worth a lot or really special to me I usually will tell them how much i love it and that I cant replace it and so I'd rather them not unless I'm around, but most things I dont mind sharing with them as long as they don't take it out of the house.
I had one bad turned good experience last summer. I bought oversexed plushglass over the long weekend in August and the next weekend my friend and I went to visit our other friend who lived an hour and a half away. We went to the bar that night and one of them LOVED the plushglass and wanted to keep it in her purse so she could touch it up while we were out. When we went to touch up our lipgloss she went to get it out of her purse and it wasn't there :S I was so mad because it was brand new, so I went to find it, IN THE BUSY BAR! Picture me looking all over the floor for my plushglass! The good news is I found it!!! Poor thing was laying on the floor and had probably been kicked around a lot because the letters were starting to scratch off. I also happened to find $20 laying on the ground totally unattended so I kept that too! (and of course I spent it on MAC, LOL!)