How many languages do you speak or would you like to speak?

winwin

I speak fluently:

English
French
Cantonese
Mandarin

I want to learn:

German
Spanish
Italian
Russian

stilett0s

I speak French on a nearly fluent basis. I need more practice with conversing and writing in it, but I understand a lot. I'm somewhat conversational in Spanish, and often end up speaking "Spench" due to my interest in French. Not very helpful here in Texas, lol. I took Arabic one semester, and barely remember any of it. I hope to pick it up again.

Pannekoek

I speak:
dutch (mothertongue)
english
french
german (understand it a lot better than speaking it)
a little spanish

I'd like to learn:
russian or something similar, dunno why
japanese, because i think it sounds pretty and cool
and offcourse improve my german and spanish

liibyz

English, Spanish & alittle bit of French.
smiles.gif

xKiKix

i can speak english, cantonese and mandarin (not extremely fluent)

i can also read and type in chinese characters but again not extremely fluent.

i would love to learn how to speak japanese, korean, and french

MrsMay

I feel really uncultured now admitting the only language I know is English!

Is uncultured even a word? Geez I hope so considering it's the only language I know...
lol.gif

at school I took classes in French and Arabic but that was only for 18 months and I don't remember any of it.

TheTeenageMuse

Languages You Speak!

I speak:
-English
-Conversant French (8 years of schooling for naught -.-)
-getting there in Spanish (taking lessons)
-German vocab (WOHOO CD'S!)

I think i'll be able to pick up Italian within a few months.
And I'm dying to learn Arabic, but I can't find anywhere in Toronto.

I'm truly angry at my parents. Their grandparents knew Portugese and Hindi, respectively and neither bothered to learn and yet they both complain about how they 'could have known.' (They're secretly jealous of my superior language skills
tong.gif
) I would be so much further ahead with them otherwise.
I think that if I can get six languages down it'll make or break whether I get into Harvard.

How about you?
Combien des langues peut-tu parler? (Is that even right? LOL)

jenee.sum

Re: Languages You Speak!

English - fluent
Cantonese - mother tongue, but not as fluent as English

I took Korean for fun in university, but I can't remember any of it.
tong.gif

rosegasm

English
Cantonese (I am literate too!)
Spanish (uh... ish. took classes years ago but don't remember too much haha)
Italian (took a year of this... but I can't put together a sentence anymore, lol)

Planning on revisiting Italian, as well as picking up Mandarin. I need a job, and places require me to speak Mandarin. I took classes as a kid but of course I had no patience/attention span.

tepa1974

I speak English and Spanish. I took 2 years of French in high school and can still remember some of it. I can also understand Italian and Portugese.

Penn

I speak English fluently
Vietnamese and Cantonese...I can get by but I can't have a deep conversation.
I wanna learn French and Mandarin though

m4dswine

English native speaker
Holiday Swedish - I can read it with a bit of concentration and understand some of it when it is spoken but I can only really say enough to get by.
Very rusty German. I can remember all the grammar and rules etc, but can't remember the actual words. I'm learning though, because I am moving to Austria next year.

kaylabella

English and a bit of French. I want to get back into the French to get more fluent.

Junkie

English...haha. I took french from grades 4 to 9 and can understand more than I can speak. I was somewhat conversational when I lived back home (worked in a town smack dab in the middle of 3 highways to mostly french-speaking towns and cities, so I HAD to learn).

I'm native and my great-grandmother speaks very little english - mostly Cree. I took Cree from junior kindergarden to grade 8 and remember very little as well. Its a hard language to learn as we don't have a regular alphabet, but symbols (like Russian or Arabic).

I'd love to learn my own language (Cree), French, Spanish or Portuguese, Cantonese or Mandarin, and Tagalog! Even more if I could! Like Russian or even Greek or Italian. Farsi or Urdu would be awesome too. I live in Toronto and we're a very multi-cultured city, so learning all of these would be beneficial - especially since I'm in customer service.

I even want to learn how to sign!