How many languages do you speak or would you like to speak?

Nicala

I speak fluent English & Spanish. I took a semester of German. I liked it, but the grammar rules are confusing! Might take it again in college though.
smiles.gif

Boasorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaxo812
Where did you learn Portuguese?

I'm teaching myself! And it's killing me that I can't speak nor understand it when someone is speaking really fast. Right now I'm watching Mulheres Apaixonadas on Youtube, and the Portuguese is crazy fast!!!

I can speak enough to ask for/give simple directions, questions, and hold a simple conversation. My reading is much better

Boasorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfSnark

I SHOULD know Tagalog because of my mom, but I only know curse words and body parts >_>
)

Why is it when people always seem to know curse words, body parts, and the numbers up to 10 when it comes to another language?
th_LMAO.gif
lol

ReveNoir

I speak English, French and Spanish fluently, and speak passable Italian (quite limited, though - it's been a while since I took classes).

I'd love to learn German, Russian, and Mandarin!

bellaxo812

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
I'm teaching myself! And it's killing me that I can't speak nor understand it when someone is speaking really fast. Right now I'm watching Mulheres Apaixonadas on Youtube, and the Portuguese is crazy fast!!!

I can speak enough to ask for/give simple directions, questions, and hold a simple conversation. My reading is much better

That takes some dedication to teach yourself a new language...and that's so cute that you're keeping up with the novella's on youtube lol...if you ever need any help, just ask
friends.gif

Stephy171

I speak spanish and arabic fluently... as well as english obviously hahah and i dabble in french i can keep a basic convo... i really want to learn italian!

Shoegal-fr

Curse words are the essential, once you know them, you're pretty much set to survive LOL.

Quote:
Why is it when people always seem to know curse words, body parts, and the numbers up to 10 when it comes to another language?
th_LMAO.gif
lol

Boasorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoegal-fr
Curse words are the essential, once you know them, you're pretty much set to survive LOL.

th_LMAO.gif
word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaxo812
That takes some dedication to teach yourself a new language...and that's so cute that you're keeping up with the novella's on youtube lol...if you ever need any help, just ask
friends.gif

Aww obrigada. I have no idea what's going on in these novellas, but I'm suckered into them. I think once I get used to the flow of the words, it'll help me more.

Luiza_T

I speak Portuguese (my first language) and English (self-taught). I'm not sure if I can say I'm fluent in English though. I can understand perfectly, but my writing is not that good. Still have to improve...

When I was younger I took French classes at Alliance Française, but I don't speak the language at all. And a friend tried to teach me Danish, but since she went back to Denmark I haven't been studying and forgot most of it.

So, there are a few languages that I would love to learn:

- Persian: because of my husband's family - he taught me some words already, but I cannot write it, only speak (with a funny accent, I guess - I can't pronounce "gh", for example).

- French: because it is such a beautiful language, and one of the official languages in Canada.

- Danish.

- German.

- Hebrew.

Kragey

English, German, Korean, along with miscellaneous bits from a bevy of languages. I would like to learn Hindi during graduate school, and possibly some of the other Indian languages like Urdu or Tamil.

BEA2LS

Just English
ssad.gif

I took many years of spanish in high school and college and could always read/write it but was so bad at the accent that i got frustrated and never picked up on it.
I would love to learn a second language.

Sojourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kragey
English, German, Korean, along with miscellaneous bits from a bevy of languages. I would like to learn Hindi during graduate school, and possibly some of the other Indian languages like Urdu or Tamil.

Shanti

English is the only language I'm fluent in, but I know a bit of Spanish and French (from high school & before), and I can speak very basic Laotian (understand more than I speak).

I would like to improve on my French especially and Spanish, and I'm always up to improve my embarrassingly simple knowledge of Japanese. I want to learn Mandarin for business purposes, and sometimes pick up Korean from those dramas =P. If I could learn every language, I would...

Kragey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner
Urdu isn't Indian though it's predominantly Persian and Arabic based (that's why it's big on poetry) the script is completely different to Hindi and Gujarati (which are Indian). Hindi is regarded as an Indo-European language because of it's links to European 'romance' languages and it's grammatical structure. The Hindi/Gujarati script is like the Bengali script, I've forgotten how to describe it but I'm sure you've seen them written before.

The Urdu script is the same as Persian and similar to Arabic and it's the national language of Pakistan...don't confuse India with Pakistan lol if you have any Indian/Pakistani friends - the two countries have a very acrimonious history with wars and do not generally appreciate being mistaken for one another!

Indians generally cannot read the Urdu script, Hindi is written differently to it and also Bollywood movies are in Hindi not Urdu. Many Indians & Bangladeshis will say that they speak 'Urdu' because they watch Bollywood but they cannot read or write it or speak it classically. You will notice that Hindi does not have the glottal 'kh' letter which is fundamental in Urdu (and derived from Arabic). Most Pakistanis do not regard Bollywood movie speak as Urdu because obviously they recognise the differences.

Sorry to sound arsey, really not my intention, just wanted to clear that really common misconception up because I always hear it repeated and it really irks me - I studied a unit on South Asian politics which is why I'm saying, can't let that learning go to waste
tong.gif

And now I sound like I'm showing off, so I should just shut up
yes.gif

I am aware of what Urdu is, but I accidentally mis-represented it in this post. I meant that I wanted to learn Urdu because it's commonly used by Indian authors and poets, and South Asian literature is my area of study. Sorry about the confusion!

I'm also a huge Asian cinema fan, especially with regards to Bollywood, so I know by ear that most films do not contain Urdu.

I'm more well-versed in Indian culture than that slip-up makes me seem.

Nicala

Quote:
A lot of people here speak/want to learn German, let's form a study group
smiles.gif
bahaha

I agree!
yahoo.gif

Singmeanything

I only speak english but I wish i learned spanish when I was younger. Im half Mexican and that would be soooo useful.
My parents did put me in class when I was younger and what I learned then is what I remember. Not from high school

Candy Christ

English and quite a bit of Latin. I read it for the most part and speak it if I have to. I hate writing it though, it's irritating. Sometimes I understand Italian, but only Northern dialects. I know the BF speaks a bunch of languages, it makes me jealous
th_MadWithShortFuse.gif

Susanne

Quote:
A lot of people here speak/want to learn German, let's form a study group
smiles.gif
bahaha

Let me know!
smiles.gif

I speak

German
English