Identifying fake MAC Pigments ***Guide with photos***

panda0410

The silver label on the Softwash Grey isnt a pro label - the pro labels are clear. The very old Pro labels were silver but they were different to these silver ones here - they were printed in semi-circles or halves on the stickers.

The Nocturnal Plum is a pro pigment but the silver stickers on pro items are usually there when its released with a collection and I *think* it was released with a collection in 2006 somewhere, but please dont quote me on that right now...LOL!! Otherwise it shouldnt have a silver sticker at all.

The grape sticker doesnt look great to me at all, it looks kind of frosted, but it could be the flash.

The Nocturnal Plum and the Grape in the ebay links look the new updated fakes to me, the shiny lids bother me and I have seen these colours together in lots with other colour amongst other sellers with fakes as well.

Xqueeze_me

Quote:

Grape and Nocturnal Plum are both fakes from what I can see.. with the shiny black caps. Grape's batch sticker is too translucent. Even with flash, they should look THAT frosty. As for Nocturnal Plum, the fonts and batch code on the silver label on the bottom of the jar looks like the ones from previous 8 fake pigments.

The Softwashed Grey is fine.

One thing I've noticed on eBay recently are sellers with a "lot of 3 (or 2)" and a picture of all three of them standing on boxes or whatnot... They just give generic color names, not a real MAC name in the item description. I messaged one of these sellers once asking what specific colors they were and their reply was that they get them wholesale through MAC (I believe that was their answer... the message got deleted since eBay does that...) and that they came without labels... which sounded like a cop out if I ever heard one. Needless to say, I never bought the items. Just wondering if there was anyone who'd run into that same situation before. An example:
Pigment Lot on eBay

Luckily it looks like people are shying away from that listing.

panda0410

bleh... these are definitely fakes... the old fakes with the thick bottoms looking at these. Its kind of good to see people avoiding them actually - it means that people are starting to get a little more pigment savvy
smiles.gif

msashlay

Do any fakes come with raised lettering on the bottom of the jar or the inner lid thing? If it has the raised lettering "coltainer" etc, is it probably genuine then?

1165Cheryl

Hi all...I recently got a order in from Mac with around 6 Pigment jars. On 2 of the jars, 1 was Chocolate brown the sticker on the bottom of the jar was 1/2 way off. On 2 other ones the stickers were way off center. These were also 2007's so they had the crimps on the fold. On a few from Nordstroms the sticker on the bottoms were also very loose, those were on the circa plums. I've been keeping notations on all of my orders from MAC to keep up with any changes being made to help us with the fakes. Hope this helps
smiles.gif

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1165Cheryl
Hi all...I recently got a order in from Mac with around 6 Pigment jars. On 2 of the jars, 1 was Chocolate brown the sticker on the bottom of the jar was 1/2 way off. On 2 other ones the stickers were way off center. These were also 2007's so they had the crimps on the fold. On a few from Nordstroms the sticker on the bottoms were also very loose, those were on the circa plums. I've been keeping notations on all of my orders from MAC to keep up with any changes being made to help us with the fakes. Hope this helps
smiles.gif

I'm glad you brought this up! Some of the new pigments do have off centred stickers and on some of the those stickers the print is off centre on the sticker as well. The print on these base stickers is central to the jar, but NOT central on the sticker!!
Furthermore, some of the print on the base stickers appears to be maligned.... the numbers are sometimes encroaching on the name and vice-versa. I have also seen in a few jars that the base sticker numbers are printed in bold and the name is not - this was mostly for a few pro pigments namely Kelly Green, Grape, a few others. Since mine came from macpro I know these are authentic.

lynpink

Unfortunately I found this thread AFTER I bought a fake chartreuse pigment...boooo Thanks for the info, it's so helpful!!

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynpink
Unfortunately I found this thread AFTER I bought a fake chartreuse pigment...boooo Thanks for the info, it's so helpful!!

Better late than never!
winks.gif

For reference here are some old pigments with the old shiny lids (genuine). I actually can't believe I got these with the boxes haha. I r ebay ninja, this was all one lot with coco beach approx 75% full in as well
greengrin.gif
, can't remember how much I paid but it wasn't a lot.

Corresponding batch numbers:

5193124_14e55efd93.jpg

Texture of box & writing on older boxes:

5193131_89f2ae1f3e.jpg

panda0410

This is something we were already aware of, many of us have older pigments with these lids but they are still not consistent with the lids on the fakes. Maybe you'd like to post some pics actually showing the lids for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
This is something we were already aware of, many of us have older pigments with these lids but they are still not consistent with the lids on the fakes. Maybe you'd like to post some pics actually showing the lids for reference.

Yes well I don't think I was actually claiming to be the only one who had these pigments was I?
And obviously a LOT of people don't have these pigments otherwise they wouldn't be worth a lot of money to sell would they?

I was just posting the pics for people who haven't seen the older style boxes...

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauras_a_star
For reference here are some old pigments with the old shiny lids (genuine). I actually can't believe I got these with the boxes haha. I r ebay ninja, this was all one lot with coco beach approx 75% full in as well
greengrin.gif

Quote:
Yes well I don't think I was actually claiming to be the only one who had these pigments was I?
And obviously a LOT of people don't have these pigments otherwise they wouldn't be worth a lot of money to sell would they?

I was just posting the pics for people who haven't seen the older style boxes...

Actually your first post was in reference to the lids - which is what we were talking about and what I asked for pics of since you claim they are shiny like fakes - I'm sure plenty of the people who dont have those pigments would actually like to see them. I have both these pigments (and several others) from similar batch dates and NEITHER of mine are shiny, my older glitter has a semi-matte lid but I suspect thats from functional overuse and overhandling of it and NONE of the lids on my older pigments are anything like the fake lids. Like I said, if yours are shiny then perhaps you'd like to post a pic of them for reference.

redambition

Quote:
greengrin.gif

Thanks for posting those pics - if you are able to post some more piccies showing the lids in more detail it would be much appreciated.

the more pics we have to help people ID the counterfeits from the real thing the better!
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition
Thanks for posting those pics - if you are able to post some more piccies showing the lids in more detail it would be much appreciated.

the more pics we have to help people ID the counterfeits from the real thing the better!
smiles.gif

No problemo
greengrin.gif
the pics aren't that clear but the genuine shiny lids look JUST like the non shiny ones (shape and size), also the writing is a bit bigger as u can see, because they are so old they should look a bit worn so anything that looks really new with a shiny lid will be fake. I believe shiny lids are all pre 2001 batches (correct me if im wrong someone!!)

5647618_0d00479382.jpg

5647619_0837b7efda.jpg

msashlay

Thanks for posting pictures! From what I've seen, the shininess of fake lids is not as shiny as yours.