Interviewing for MAC.... My story

MAC*GIRL08

Hello everyone I'm new to this site, and just wanted to share my recent interview experiences with MAC.
First off....this site is awesome! I am always looking for people who share the same desire for MAC as I do! It truley is a wonderful cosmetic line!

Anyway - As I have read it seems that interviews vary from region to region. A couple months back I got wind of an "open interview" at one of the area malls - This was in an actual MAC store. So I drove up there, brought my daughter as my model, and was nervous to the point of feeling sick!
First mistake - I brought my own brushes and some of my own products!
( the trainer told me not to use any of my own, but to choose from what was in the store - although I could use my own brushes)

Second mistake - I didn't wear ALL BLACK!
nonono.gif

Third mistake - When the trainer would critique my work, I would reply with "Oh I knew that, Oh I was going to do that" - BIG NO NO!!!!

I was told to do a day into night look with a 30 minute window -
I didn't even make it to the night look, he pulled me aside and sat me down
we discussed where I needed improvement. I left feeling like an idiot after driving all that distance - BUT instead of sulking
th_dunno.gif
- I turned it into a true learning experience! PART II to follow!!!

MAC*GIRL08

Interviewing for MAC PT 2

One thing I forgot to mention on my last post was that aside from my disaster I DID remember to bring a very modest portfolio - the trainer did like that, he said I had potential but to work on some of my techniques. So I always suggest bringing a portfolio of your work.

After a couple of months I decided to go to a closer area mall and just distribute my resume to the department stores (Macy's and Bloomies)
after only a couple of weeks I got a phone call from the MAC (Macy's) so I went on the initial interview. It went very well, the girls were nice and I felt comfortable. I was then told I would recieve a call back to do my first demo in front of the counter manager. So two weeks later I did just that - It went better than expected, my technique, color choice and everthing else was highly commented on by the manager. She then said that I would have to do ANOTHER demo - this time it would be for the area MAC trainer. So I was like ok. I recieved a call 2 days later with the date I would have to do this demo it was on June 27th.
PT III to come shortly!!!!
thmbup.gif

MAC*GIRL08

MAC Interview PT III

So I have my 3rd interview (the demo with the regional trainer) well low and behold it's the trainer from when I FIRST went to the open call at the MAC store! I almost got sick because I remembered how bad I did the first time.
There were alot of girls there finishing up with their models and he seen me, smiled and said Hi!!!!! I was like - "gulp" hi - in this meek little voice ha ha!

The music was playing (as it always does at the MAC counters I love it!) and I just got this feeling like " I can do this" "I can show him that I have changed and know what Im doing now" Of course my model helped me calm down.

He gave us different looks to do within a 30 minute window - my look was the look of an Attorney who was giving a presentation (so the look had to be soft and professional) then it had to be transitioned into an evening look. (The Attorney won her case and was going to go out and celebrate) He gave us 10 min. to choose our products and shades. Long story short - I was finished both looks within the time frame, kept my mouth shut when he would speak, looked very professional (dressed in all black) - he pulled me aside when I was finished, told me it was like night and day, he was so impressed with my ability, professionalism, how I handled my client, knowledge of the products and how I introduced them as I would use them. He even commented on my makup, hair, makup and nails (including my pedicure lol) yes i was a shining star!!! I passed the most intense, nerve wracking interview of my life!!!!!
He said I have one more interview with another manager. So I'm just waiting for that call!!!!!!!! At least I have come this far, and that's an accomplishment in itself. Does anyone know what the "LAST" interview for MAC would entail???? I'm done all my demo interviews.

Thanks!
choochoo.gif

CandyApples83

I just got a call back for a P/T position with MAC at Macy's . Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm so nervous!!!!

MAC*GIRL08

That's great! I am sweating this one out and waiting for the call for my last interview, the counter manager told me out of all the applicants they were down to 4 candidates, and I'm one of those 4!!!!!!!

MAC*GIRL08

Thanks everyone for your well wishes! I'm hoping I hear something by tomorrow! Does anyone know what happens during the "last" interivew??

chocolategoddes

I dunno. But good luck. One thing a person looks for when it comes to hiring for a job is that you take criticism well, learn from your mistakes, and improve from it. It seems like you did all that, so don't worry too much.
smiles.gif

MsCuppyCakes

Congratualions! Let us know how it turns out. You've helped so many who aspire to apply at MAC and other counters.

MAC*GIRL08

Well like i said just to make it this far is something to be proud of wether i get the job or not. Thanks~ you guys are the best!

VioletB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC*GIRL08
Thanks everyone for your well wishes! I'm hoping I hear something by tomorrow! Does anyone know what happens during the "last" interivew??

First of all, congrats to you for getting so far!!! Your last interview will be a phone interview with the MRO for your region. (manager of regional operations) It's a quick interview and they usually let you know quickly after that whether or not you got the position. Good luck!!

MAC*GIRL08

Really? thanks Violet - that's good to know - I am so hoping I get that phone call today so I can celebrate over the holiday weekend!
Happy 4th everyone!!!!!!!
th_DANCE.gif

VioletB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC*GIRL08
Really? thanks Violet - that's good to know - I am so hoping I get that phone call today so I can celebrate over the holiday weekend!
Happy 4th everyone!!!!!!!
th_DANCE.gif

Just one little hint.. It's worth it if you haven't heard anything in a couple days to check in with the manager that interviewed you. When I was hired, I told I was going to be getting that phone call and I waited 4 days and didn't hear anything. I called the counter manager just to check in and got the phone call the next day, and was hired less than 24 hours after that. Being persistant really pays off when you want a job at MAC!! Trust me!!

MAC*GIRL08

I couldn't agree more, and I am persistant, I called yesterday they said the manager wouldnt be in till today, I called today and she will be in tomorrow afternoon ugh! so I will call again tomorrow afternoon to follow up - after all that's how I got my 2nd makeup demo - by following up - thanks for the advice!

Latest posts