Is it time to start a "Counterfeit M·A·C" forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caffn8me

There are currently large numbers of counterfeit M·A·C products for sale on eBay. Not everyone here knows how to recognise them.

Perhaps a thread specifically for discussion of fake items where people can ask about products being advertised and warnings about particular vendors can be posted. It could also contain a sticky on how to spot fake items (an article I plan to write soon). I suspect this would be as useful as the Chopping Block forum.

In the past week I've identified and reported 40 separate counterfeit M·A·C listings (several for multiple items) and 192 M·A·C product handbooks.

I'd suggest making the forum accessible to registered members only which may help prevent the sellers of fake items finding out about it and learning how to improve their fakes.

caffn8me

I guess a whole counterfeit cosmetic forum might be useful although Specktra is primarily a M·A·C resource. I personally don't have the expertise to diagnose non-M·A·C fakes but am reasonably confident I can spot most M·A·C ones.

jeannette

There's no harm getting an additional idea of how counterfeit items look like so you can recognise one when you see them.
smiles.gif
They're actually quite easy to spot.

But that said, and- more importantly - they usually they come from the same source/factory. so information relating to fake Chanel for instance may be useful in discerning fake MAC from the real: for example, it reads "07" (no shade name) and Sheertone Shimmer Blush (doesn't exist in the Chanel line, as far as I'm aware!). The font is also a little off.

mjalomo

It would save people from a great deal of distress if they knew how to avoid these products. It feels awful to buy fake MAC.

Beautiful1

Well If Ebay Refuses To Do Anything About It Then I Believe This Forum That You Have Started Will Hopefully Save Many People From Unwanted Grief And Distress!
smiles.gif

Isis

Quote:

Lord, Those are the worst Chanel fakes I've ever seen! They just copied the MAC packaging.

I think this new forum (if it gets created) should have a picture gallery in it seperate from posts. And somehow organize it to make finding a specific image easy for compairisons. Just my 2 yen.

Eemaan

i 2nd that fairlady, there is still fake mac eyeshadow being sold on ebay.co.uk people need to know how to identify fakes through pics

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosopher
i 2nd that fairlady, there is still fake mac eyeshadow being sold on ebay.co.uk people need to know how to identify fakes through pics

This is an eye shadow described on eBay as Gesso (which is a pure white) which sold last week.

c8_1.JPG

Is it genuine or counterfeit?

mellz

I think this is a very good idea. Or at least post something that can help Ebay buyers(like myself) spot a fake. Or just tell who doesn't sell fake MAC

HOTasFCUK

Hey this is a great idea because i always want to order MAC off of Ebay but i'm a little scared after hearing about so many fakes! Can you please list which sellers or items are fake? I'll kep a look out for any if i see them but honestly i can't really tell. That's why we need this thread badly!!!! Please list ways to tell if the MAC is fake!Thanks!!!!
eyelove.gif

Janice

We have some plans under way with caffn8me, after the holidays, to create something for you guys that might help.
smiles.gif

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
This is an eye shadow described on eBay as Gesso (which is a pure white) which sold last week.

c8_1.JPG

Is it genuine or counterfeit?

OK - no takers? It's definitely fake and you can tell that just by looking at it. Anyone care to say why?

Isis

Oh I'll bite.

It looks like there's hinges on the back. And the type face looks just a hair off.

caffn8me

Yup, got it in one. The hinge pin and mechanism on a genuine shadow don't stick out at all and are far narrower. The logo looks less than perfect but it does on some genuine shadow lids too.

Isis

I got out one of my B2Ms its a bit uneaven too, but that's bound to happen on a curved surface then. That hinge pin is deffinitelly obvious.

csuthetaphi

I am amazed, yet feel somewhat stupid at the same time. I always knew there were fakes on Ebay (designer purses, jewelry, etc.) but I had no idea makeup! I am definitely going to pay close attention to what I buy from now on. First day being a member and I have learned so much! Thank you for making me aware of this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts