Lets talk about eyebrows..

Liz

i'm a freak about my brows! i have some areas that drive me crazy though.

LOVE the lancome tweezers!

Sushi_Flower

Threading i found easy to do but it's quiet risky if you're not carefull as you've got much less control than with tweezers. Multiple hairs come with one threading motion, so if you don't place in the right place and don't thread in the right direction then one movement can mean disaster. I'm quiet nimble with my hands and good with detail so i never had a disaster even though i was never taught but i would warn people not to go ahead and do it if you're not sure about how it's done.

Kristen

Would it be possible to write up a tutorial on how to thread? Or is it something you have to be taught hands on?

Sushi_Flower

It is quiet hard for some people to understand it by words only but i'll try my best to explain it anyway.

1.Make sure you have a clean, dry face with nothing on. I'm not sure if professional threaders put anything on the skin but i find it's easiest to capture the hairs when skin is completely clean and dry. If you have a low pain threshold then maybe you could put on something that usually helps you but it might affect the effectiveness in pulling the hairs out.

2. Cut a piece of cotton string to the required length and tie the ends together strongly so they don't break away when pulled..What is the required length? Well i think this is something you have to find out yourself through trial and error. For me i like the loop when tied to be quite small as i work better that way but i have seen others have it quiet big. It's however you work best with. I find i have much more control with a smaller loop.

3. This is where it gets hard to explain.. Twist the middle of the loop several times whilst holding the loop at each end. You hold it with your thumb and first finger (whats the name for it?!) of both hands at each end of the loop. Both should be in the loop and your thumb and finger should be acting as though you are pushing them both away from eachother. This should create a bow shaped feature out of the string, with the twists in the middle and both hands creating the wide bits at each end.
Also the number of twists you have indicates the volume of hair that will be taken away with each threading action, start with a few twists only if you are unsure about threading yet.

4. Place the string on the area where you want to thread. Have the twist bit placed just before the area you want to start threading. Have the area you want to thread taut, i only do my upper lip so i can do that by moving my mouth, get someone to pull your skin taut if it's in an area you can't move.

5. To start the threading move the fingers from the hands in the opposite end to the direction you want to thread. Move the fingers so that they are making the loop on that end bigger. This will move the twists along and capture every hair in it's way (keep the twists touching the skin while you move it for best results). I would advise that you thread fast as it gives really clean results and hurts less, but a beginner would probably find it hard to do that at first.
The pain of threading lessens after the first few times and once you become good at it and see the results you won't go back to something else.

I've just got to add that i only thread my upper lip and easy strays above my eyebrows and i find this easy to do with threading, i wouldn't advise a beginner to go and thread their eyebrows properly as it could be disastrous! Practice elsewhere first until you feel confident.

Hope that's helpfull, sorry if it's not understandable or too detailed.

joytheobscure

My eyebrows.. when I was two I ran into a coffee table and forever altered my brows, I have a scar in one just at the arch which does not grow hair. This is the first year I've actually plucked them. I was always afraid to mess with them. They are naturally fairly pigmented so they aren't too bad. I'm just getting into doing it regularly. It really does help the appearance.

kimmy

it's normal to notice eyebrows and make a big deal of them because they are the focal point of the face since they frame the eyes :]

my natural eyebrows, i really don't like. they start of VERY dark brown and end in such a light shade of blonde that from a short distance, it looks like i only have half my eyebrows. So, I keep them plucked and shade them in with powder and pencil.

i've tried the whole drawing them on thing, i didn't really like it. i prefer part natural, part fake :]

enka

I'm also obsessed with brows. They really make or break a face. Mine are thin, but need tweezing a lot because they grow everywhere, where no one else seems to have brows. (Anyone else with brows on the forehad ?)
I really love tweezing my brows, it's very relaxing for me. I listen to nice music while doing the brows, preferably sitting in the living room with a cup of tea. It's like yoga or stuff like this for me.

I also force my DH and my best male friend to tweeze 8).

beautifulxdisaster

I overplucked mine at September and had a school picture before I learned how to draw my eyebrows on!! *cry* from faraway it was like I have no brows! Then I drew them on with liquid liner but it was thin and I looked scary, now I use pencil until they grow out complete. I have the basic shape grown now, but still sparse so I need pencil still.

I'm jealous of all of you that can go without drawing them on!

Lolita

thanks Sushi_Flower for clearly explaining how threading is done! I've been getting mine threaded for a while now, and never really understood how exactly its done. The girls who I go to though tie the string around their necks first, its kind of strange, lol I dont know how to explain it.

It was really hard finding a salon that did threading in my semi-small city, but it was totally worth the effort. I think everybody should try it out once instead of waxing or plucking. The results are 100000x better in my opinion, and probably a lot less damaging to the skin around your eyes.

sassy*girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolita
thanks Sushi_Flower for clearly explaining how threading is done! I've been getting mine threaded for a while now, and never really understood how exactly its done. The girls who I go to though tie the string around their necks first, its kind of strange, lol I dont know how to explain it.

It was really hard finding a salon that did threading in my semi-small city, but it was totally worth the effort. I think everybody should try it out once instead of waxing or plucking. The results are 100000x better in my opinion, and probably a lot less damaging to the skin around your eyes.

Hehe, yeah I totally agree! I've been doing it for a few years now, and I think it's probably one of the best ways to shape your brows
smiles.gif

They tie theirs around their neck? Mine hold the excess with their teeth or something. And then they pull their head back while they move their hands around, right? Haha, yeah. It's so cool, though
greengrin.gif

Kristen

Woah that's crayzee. Thanks for the tutorial.. I'm practicing on my leg right now (no need to mangle my brows anymore) and it actually works. I've always been so confused by how threading actually worked.Thanks again!

Sushi_Flower

Heather_Rae i'll be honest with you, i don't actually have the time and resources to do a tutorial about it! I'm so sorry. I hope you can find more about it another way.
To tell you the truth it would still be quiet hard to explain the threading through pictures as you need to see the quick, accurate movements to understand it which i couldn't show through pictures.

lily

i love my eyebrow, i do them professionaly in the salon i will never do them myself though sometimes when i feel lazy i could do them myself but it never look the same and it took me long time to find the best salon that do them the way i like my eyebrow are think so its easy to shape them in different ways but i like keeping them medium but high

i think eyebrow could enhance the face beauty or ruine it if they eyebrow wasn't nice it could change the whole look of the face and one more think i have to wear the eyebrow mascara to keep the hair in its place

kat1e

Oh my god, I'm not alone. My friends think i'm a freak, it seems all i notice in someone is their eyebrows. haha.
i'd REFUSE to leave the house if my eyebrows aren't perfectly arched, filled in, plucked, all that crap. If they're not perfect, I have a bad day.
ssad.gif

I use to be so obsessed with my eyebrows and it took alot of maintnence. for every week to get them cleaned up that i went ahead and got them tattooed.. thats right.. my eyebrows are tattoed and I LOVE EM!!! They still look natural and not too dramatic Im sure you cant even tell...

iiifugaziii

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotic_daydreamer
I use to be so obsessed with my eyebrows and it took alot of maintnence. for every week to get them cleaned up that i went ahead and got them tattooed.. thats right.. my eyebrows are tattoed and I LOVE EM!!! They still look natural and not too dramatic Im sure you cant even tell...

tattooed eyebrows?? DUDE. that's awesome! I seirously can't tell when I looked in your gallery. where's daly city at? I'm in long beach. Who did that for you? i want it! haha..

user4

first, right now my eye brows suck. i really cant shape em because they got so out of control. i hate plucking them myself because i always end up over plucking or giving myself a different shape in both brows. i've always gotten them waxed but the problem is that i think i'm allergic to wax. my face breaks out horribly around that area for like a week and a half or two and kind of swells up for like a week or so. so i've been thinking about getting them threaded. there's tons of places here that do it but i dont know exactly all that is done and if it's gonna come out ok or maintenance afterwards. does anyone know???