Letterman & Palin

Lauren1981

*if there's a thread about this already someone please point me in that direction and delete this one*

you guys hear about letterman's jokes about palin's daughter?
YouTube - Letterman on Sarah Palin's Daughter

and then he also said something about her having to keep Eliot Spitzer away from her daughter (the governor that got caught with a prostitute).

i mean, i know these things are supposed to be all in good laughs but damn, i think sometimes it's taken too far. i mean, i'm obviously not in some huge rage over the whole thing but i do feel the jokes were inappropriate. it's not nearly as bad as, but on the same line as when jaime foxx made the comment about miley cyrus calling her a bitch and saying she should go contract and std from a bike seat... it's just not necessary. these are ppl's kids you're talking about. not to mention, in jaime's case, he's got a daughter a couple of years younger than miley and would be PISSED if someone said that about his daughter...

what do you guys think?

blindpassion

I think much worse things are said by comedians, every single day.

A line has never been drawn before, so why is the media making an example out of Letterman?

(I'm not saying his statements were either wrong nor right).

Lauren1981

^^very true
winks.gif

Lauren1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpassion
I think much worse things are said by comedians, every single day.

A line has never been drawn before, so why is the media making an example out of Letterman?

(I'm not saying his statements were either wrong nor right).

i kinda think they may using him as an example because of all the other shit that got handed to her back during the election...
so ratings i guess???

i mean, yea, i feel they were inappropriate but i wasn't like "omg! i can't believe he said that!!!!" i was just kinda like "damn.." lol.

but like you said, inappropriate things are said everyday by comedians since that is essentially their job.

Shimmer

They're calling him out because he's talking about her *kids*. People who didn't ask to be put where they're at.

TISH1124

I think kids are off limits when it comes to TV ridicule of any kind ...They were ready to end Jaime Foxx's career over the Miley Cyrus jokes...so this is no different in my opinion.

Lauren1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
I think kids are off limits when it comes to ridicule of anykind...They were ready to end Jaime Foxx's carrer over the Miley Cyrus jokes...so this is no different in my opinion.

exactly why i think it was inappropriate. i know it's pretty much their (comedians) job to be inappropriate but i just feel you gotta draw the line somewhere.

i agree with blindpassion about worse things being said everyday which is very true but damn.

i don't have kids so i can't empathize with anyone that has children but that's why i mentioned jaime foxx because his daughter is so close in age to miley, i really think he would have responded a lot worse than billy ray did if someone made those remarks about his daughter. and i think if i did have a daughter and someone said something like that about her i'd probably go off

once again, damn these libra qualities. ha!

Mabelle

he said he was speaking about the oldest (the one that was pregnant) who is over 18 for the record.

Anyway, i think this is Sarah Palin throwing herself a pity party again. Oh no! The liberal comedians are taking shots and me and my family! Boo woo! She wasn't too morally upright to pimp her daughter out during election time, but now? It;s disgusting and off limits.
Welcome to the Rest of America, Sarah, where most people can have a laugh without getting their panties in a twist and crying to the liberal media they dislike so very much.

end rant.

as you can see, i loath this woman, so i suppose my answer is fairly biased.

Mabelle

^ word up to that m'lady!

I just think she's using this as a way to weasel her way back into the spot light and seem like a poor victim again.

TISH1124

Yeah, cause it was obvious anyway to me...that he was making fun that the girl got pregnant before and she is pregnant again....But hey.....she gotta get some attention somehow...I actually had forgotten about her ass before this little spotlight issue....

I guess now comes more putting Lipstick on a Pig talk lol

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
he said he was speaking about the oldest (the one that was pregnant) who is over 18 for the record.

Anyway, i think this is Sarah Palin throwing herself a pity party again. Oh no! The liberal comedians are taking shots and me and my family! Boo woo! She wasn't too morally upright to pimp her daughter out during election time, but now? It;s disgusting and off limits.
Welcome to the Rest of America, Sarah, where most people can have a laugh without getting their panties in a twist and crying to the liberal media they dislike so very much.

end rant.

as you can see, i loath this woman, so i suppose my answer is fairly biased.

How could he possibly have been talking about the oldest one when she wasn't present in the situation he was referencing?

Shimmer

Their likeness doesn't excuse anyone making comments about them.
I wouldn't think it was right if it were the Obama girls, I didn't think it was right iwth the Bush girls, and I don't think it's right regarding the Palin children/grandchild.

alka1

It was obvious he was referring to the Palin's oldest daughter. You know.. the one that was pregnant!

And as far as I know she's 18 (maybe over 18) so she isn't exactly a kid. Plus, she's been on the public spotlight as a spokeswoman advocating abstinence.

Gov. Palin should quit her whining. If she hadn't brought it up to complain it about it then nobody would have known or cared! He already apologized and cleared up the confusion - I don't see what the problem is.

TISH1124

Well what is obvious is the man has apologized if she took it the wrong way and stated who he was referring to...it's obvious that no one really cares at this point...he is a comedian and they go overboard....at least he did apologize most don't ....No one had beef with all the SNL skits.....
As bad as it is...Palin's kids are not the only kids that have been targeted by comedians...lets go to battle for all the rest who were....Or is this one special...because?

*Stargazer*

Someone on Letterman's staff fell down on the job. I can't believe not a single person thought to actually figure out which kid they had with them before making that joke. It was totally tasteless given the circumstances.

I think it's more of a case of poor due diligence than an attack aimed specifically at a 14 year old. However, I also know that there is no way in hell that Letterman would ever consider making a joke about Obama's daughters. Didn't Obama himself say, during the election, that family was off limits? He certainly stuck by that pretty well himself, but a large faction of his supporters certainly don't. I seem to remember some pretty nasty attacks from the left insinuating that Palin's youngest son was actually her daughter's FIRST child and that the daughter was pregnant for a second time.

TISH1124

Oh God....I was so waiting for Obama's name to be dropped into the mix ....
th_rolleye0014.gif
...Somethings never fail....no matter what the subject

Shimmer

Because obviously, there's no comparison between two political person's children.
None at all.