Letterman & Palin

TISH1124

Obviously not any other political kids than Obama's...his compares to all instances, obviously...Oh but maybe he is the only politician who has kids other than Palin...I forgot

Shimmer

Considering Palin and Obama have the connecting factor of the 2008 election, it's not an unfair comparison.

TISH1124

true.....But no one brings up the fact of McCain's famous Chelsea joke ..I do believe he was part of the 2008 election as well.

John McCain made this odious joke about Chelsea Clinton back in '98.
Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because her father is Janet Reno."
-- Sen. John McCain, speaking to a Republican dinner, June 1998.

Shimmer

And I would say that his joke was inappropriate as well.

It honestly seems that you're taking this as a discussion about political stances, sides, and race when it comes to these kids. That's certainly NOT it. Not at all. Attacking the children of any political candidate, regardless of party line, is inappropriate.

Obama's name being brought into it has nothing to do with attacks on him, and everything to do with the observation that no commentary about his kids has been made, yet other parties children (regarding the rans and also rans in 2008) are fair game.
It's an observation that has nothing to do with sour lemons over the election.

alka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Considering Palin and Obama have the connecting factor of the 2008 election, it's not an unfair comparison.

except for the fact that Obama's kids are 8 and 11? They're not 18-year old mothers publicly speaking out against teenage sex. not exactly a fair comparison

yeah, maybe the joke was in poor taste and I understand why it was misinterpreted by some (I still think it was obvious he was referring to Bristol, but eh..) what else do you expect from a late night comedian.
th_dunno.gif

I've heard worse jokes regarding Palin's kids that aren't even on the same scale. Anyone who saw Lisa Lampanelli's HBO special would know that she made some really nasty jokes about Palin's baby. Now that I found really disturbing - especially the cruel remarks she made about the baby's down syndrome.

TISH1124

I am not taking it anyway...I feel ALL children should be off limits as I stated in my first post....I also feel that this whole topic had nothing to do with Obama or his supporters period...But the distasteful comments of David Letterman....I don't think just Political kids should be off limits but all kids for that matter and there is no comparison...Kids are kids....it just amazes me how the same comparisons ALWAYS seem to come up when there are so many other kids that are ridiculed by the media and comedians daily.

Whose fault is it that his kids have not/ or were not targeted? I guess maybe comedians showed some mercy since he himself was called everything but a child of God thru the entire election for that matter.

Anyway, I am done with this topic...Because I have my view and as stated Kids should be off limits no matter who they belong to ...Celebrities, Civilians, Politicians....But does that stop the comedians...No...Will it ever...no.

Mabelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by alka1

I've heard worse jokes regarding Palin's kids that aren't even on the same scale. Anyone who saw Lisa Lampanelli's HBO special would know that she made some really nasty jokes about Palin's baby. Now that I found really disturbing - especially the cruel remarks she made about the baby's down syndrome.

Who is this Lampelli woman? I've never heard of her... and i guess thats a good thing.
I openly admit, i loath Palin and everything she stands for. She scares me. She scares the living shit out of me. But to make fun of an infant with DS? that is plain old cruel and low. How does anyone think that that's ok? You have to have no morals or consience to do that.
She obviously needs a good old punch to the baby maker (the comedian).

JGunnar

I think the fact that people do mention Palin's kids as opposed to Obama's is because she brought them into the race. Her and the Repub party marketed her as the perfect candidate for VP because she's such a great mother with strong Christian values who believes in no sex before marriage! For the first couple of months wherever she went, she was photographed as a big happy family with every single one of her kids .. even the small baby making appearances late at night.

Of course if someone touts how great their family life is people are going to investigate to see if it's true. Especially since no one had heard of her before and this was her main qualification for running the country. This whole perfect family thing became a joke because how could she expect to be in charge with the country's ovaries if she couldn't control her own daughters ovaries?

That doesn't make shit talking her kids right, but that's why people do it.

Obama never said he was perfect to be president because he was a perfect father. He stuck to politics and DIDN'T bring his family into it. Plus his girls are so small there is really nothing to talk about with them. I assure if by the time they're 16 and happen to get pregnant people WILL comment on it.

So no, the whole world isn't a liberal Obama supporter and out to get Palin. She put herself and her children out there like that. She made them a topic.

*Stargazer*

Quote:

Lisa Lampanelli is absolutely vile. She frequently makes fun of disabled people off all kinds. She is a disgusting human being and I hope that one day karma bites her in the ass.

I think there wasn't an uproar over her comments simply because she hasn't got 1/1000th of the name recognition as Letterman.

alka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
Who is this Lampelli woman? I've never heard of her... and i guess thats a good thing.
I openly admit, i loath Palin and everything she stands for. She scares me. She scares the living shit out of me. But to make fun of an infant with DS? that is plain old cruel and low. How does anyone think that that's ok? You have to have no morals or consience to do that.
She obviously needs a good old punch to the baby maker (the comedian).

She's an insult comedian and she calls herself the Queen of Mean. I will admit that I find some of her material to be quite funny, and she's great in the celebrity roasts.. but she can go a bit overboard sometimes, like what happened when she was talking about Palin and her baby for example.

what she says about her style of comedy:
Quote:
I can get away with it because I'm a nice person, I have a warm personality, my intention is good behind it. The thing is, people sense when you have the least bit of anger or hate towards a group –– that's why you never make fun of people you don't like.

mandycd

It's OBVIOUS that is was the oldest one... 'cause quite frankly, she's the one who is known to have premarital sex!! And she's the one who is asking to be in the spotlight! If she hadn't been doing the news circuit, she would have been forgotten by now. The oldest daughter is 19, she's a big girl who obviously does not want a private life or else she wouldn't be flashing her life and her baby all over the tv, still...

Seriously, when my brother says "sara palin's daughter is hot"... I know he's talking about the 19 year old. If anyone drew the conclusion that he was talking about the 14 years... then those are people with serious mental issues. Drawing a conclusion of pediphilia... its gross and the Palin's should be ashamed of themselves!!!!!!!!!!!

Lauren1981

Quote:

as you can see, i loath this woman, so i suppose my answer is fairly biased.

really? i couldn't tell...
winks.gif

j/k

User27

Quote:
She's an insult comedian and she calls herself the Queen of Mean. I will admit that I find some of her material to be quite funny, and she's great in the celebrity roasts.

I'm actually a fan of the comedy roasts as well and always thought it was bold that she was so forward about her views on her interracial dating/marriage. Seems like Andy Dick despises her though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandycd
Seriously, when my brother says "sara palin's daughter is hot"... I know he's talking about the 19 year old.

I'm glad your brother says that about her daughter because quite a few guys here say it about Palin herself. I doubt her children wanted to be in the spotlight of Sarah's career and yes, I do sympathize for people who don't have a say about the matter such as children, disabled and elderly. She did choose to have Bristol and her baby's father at those functions and tabloids ran amuck...she should have said hey, my daughter's pregnant and the stress may not be good for her during her pregnancy. I'd love to read about my personal life all over a tabloid because it was good public relations to have me sit at the table with my baby's dad while people yelled bastard child in headlines. 17,461 views in 8 months but at least she's old/mature enough to handle being the object of peoples' jokes.

YouTube - I Masterbate To Sarah Palin

She should be fighting youtube for all the vids of this nature being on there so her family doesn't come across these as well. I learned a long time ago that opinions are like a$$holes but I do get to see a lot of views on here and hey, we learn from one another.

Mabelle

Letterman apologized Agian last night on his show.
They lost a sponsor (embassy hotels?) because of complaints, so i think he was kind of forced into it.

Theres a group calling for his dismissal.

I think this is quite the overreaction.

ForgetRegret

Quote:
They lost a sponsor (embassy hotels?) because of complaints, so i think he was kind of forced into it.

Overreaction indeed...I'm curious (I genuinely don't know) as to whether or not Letterman writes his own jokes for the show...if not, they shouldn't be screaming for his dismissal...they should be faulting the writers. Granted, he should take some blame for saying it, but he's already apologized twice...I'd say he's taken responsibility for it. *shrug* Just MHO...

I do agree with some of the PPs who've said kids should be off limits...but unfortunately he can't take back what's already been said. He's done what he can by apologizing...other comedians have said things WAY worse and more offensive than this, and no one's trying to end their careers over it.

Lauren1981

Quote:

as inappropriate as his comments were i think this is rather extreme.....

TISH1124

Well Governor Palin has accepted Letterman's apology...maybe the rest of the world can move on...If she can, surely all those that had a problem with it can as well

Gov. Sarah Palin released a statement accepting television host David Letterman's apology for what he called a "bad joke" about Palin's teenage daughter.

"Of course it's accepted on behalf of young women, like my daughters, who hope men who 'joke' about public displays of sexual exploitation of girls will soon evolve," the statement read.

"Letterman certainly has the right to 'joke' about whatever he wants to, and thankfully we have the right to express our reaction. And this is all thanks to our U.S. military women and men putting their lives on the line for us to secure America's right to free speech - in this case, may that right be used to promote equality and respect."

Letterman offered his second apology on air Monday night, a week after he told the controversial joke.

JGunnar

That seems way extreme that he has lost a sponser over this and people are still complaining. Yes the joke was in poor taste, but it really wasn't that bad. It's not like he said she she got gang raped up the butt by the whole Yankees team and took a bukake to the face afterwards or anything.