Life as we know it...when did it begin [hot button debate]

tsukiyomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
Yeh, well with Bush blocking things like Stem Cell research, it makes it even more difficult for healthcare to adapt, and advance. So it's not just the system, it's the politics behind it too.

If they could find a way to do stem cell research without killing embryos, then yeah, I'd be all for it.

Beauty Mark

Re: The American Health Care System... sucks =[ (Sicko, Michael Moore)

But the embryos were going to go to waste anyway. Why not use them?

tsukiyomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
But the embryos were going to go to waste anyway. Why not use them?

It's the principle of it. A life is a life. They shouldn't be going to waste in the first place.
ssad.gif

Beauty Mark

The fact they go to waste is because of fertility clinics. It's not like abortions.

I strongly disagree that it's life, because it's not implanted in anyone and is a crapshot in whether it'll develop into a fetus or not if it would be placed into a woman.

tsukiyomi

Quote:
The fact they go to waste is because of fertility clinics. It's not like abortions.

I strongly disagree that it's life, because it's not implanted in anyone and is a crapshot in whether it'll develop into a fetus or not if it would be placed into a woman.

An embryo is a human being and it's living...science proves you wrong.

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukiyomi

No, science doesn't. It's technically living, yes, but so is my skin, bones, blood, etc. Morals on when life starts is one of those things people choose to believe. Some don't believe a human being is one until it's out of the womb, others the minute the egg and sperm meet, and then there are those who think it's when the fetus could conceivably function outside. YMMV on that, but if you're going to debate something, understand the difference between moral convictions and science. Here's an article that lays it out.

Here's another article that goes into the complexities of when life begins according to biology

Raerae

Quote:

It's not a human being until it can survive on it's own. Embryo's dont just develop into babies all by themselves.

Raerae

Quote:
No, science doesn't. It's technically living, yes, but so is my skin, bones, blood, etc. Morals on when life starts is one of those things people choose to believe. Some don't believe a human being is one until it's out of the womb, others the minute the egg and sperm meet, and then there are those who think it's when the fetus could conceivably function outside. YMMV on that, but if you're going to debate something, understand the difference between moral convictions and science. Here's an article that lays it out.

Here's another article that goes into the complexities of when life begins according to biology

Good articles..

giz2000

Quote:

It cannot exist on its own...therefore it is not considered a "human being."

giz2000

Quote:
Good articles..

I agree...

xIxSkyDancerxIx

IMO they're not alive because they're just a small mass of cells that have barely begun to divide.. They're just going to be thrown away anyways if the couple doesn't want it anymore.. so why not use them to help those who can benefit from it?

Just my 2 cents though

xbeatofangelx

1. Your opinion depends on your world view - whether you believe in God or not.
2. Science doesn't actually PROVE anything - it's all based on inductive reasoning. All science does is say that something is PROBABLY true. It assumes that the future will be like the past, that if gravity worked yesterday, it's guaranteed to work today, and science assumes that time moves forwards.

Philosophy class yay!

tsukiyomi

Quote:
It's not a human being until it can survive on it's own. Embryo's dont just develop into babies all by themselves.

I guess since it's not a human being, then what in the world are we carrying around for 10 months? A puppy? A plant?

::rolls eyes::

tsukiyomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
It cannot exist on its own...therefore it is not considered a "human being."

What about people hooked up to life support? Are they not human beings? They cannot exist on their own...

Kimberleigh

Quote:
What about people hooked up to life support? Are they not human beings? They cannot exist on their own...

This is kind of a bad comparison, IMO, because a human on life support is more than a tiny group of cells yet to have all the same systems as a mature adult (or child for that matter) has. And really, in the instance that you're discussing, this is why it is HIGHLY important to have a living will.

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbeatofangelx
1. Your opinion depends on your world view - whether you believe in God or not.
2. Science doesn't actually PROVE anything - it's all based on inductive reasoning. All science does is say that something is PROBABLY true. It assumes that the future will be like the past, that if gravity worked yesterday, it's guaranteed to work today, and science assumes that time moves forwards.

Philosophy class yay!

I believe in God...and I also believe that an embryo is not a human being...it CAN happen!

Gotta love philosophy class!! =)

giz2000

Quote:

they are not a bunch of cells that have not formed into a fetus...they have already been born...so THEY'RE human beings.

tsukiyomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
they are not a bunch of cells that have not formed into a fetus...they have already been born...so THEY'RE human beings.

They have exactly the same amount of chromosomes that we do. Just because they are unborn, I guess they aren't humans, eh? ::rolls eyes::

Latest posts