MAC Alluring Aquatic Collection (May 22, 2014)

veronikawithak

I've done several returns at Sephora of products with awful textures or that irritated my skin. A couple have been because the color was waaay off what it looked like when I swatched it in their ridiculous store lighting.. I never buy drugstore makeup unless it's sealed and I don't use the testers on my face or open new products.

As to the relationship with returns and price increases, I'm afraid I'm not buying it. I might be persuaded to feel bad if CEO to worker pay ratios weren't around 300-700:1..

I don't lose any sleep at night worrying that the execs at Estée Lauder can't afford to heat their million dollar villas.
noworry.gif

IMO it's not because of customers that the business model isn't working anymore, it's a worldwide problem of the upward income and asset redistribution to the wealthy. Average people can't afford to absorb the losses anymore, nor should they have to. I also highly doubt that if return policies changed prices would stop increasing..

Just one humble opinion of many..

Mac-Guy

I am glad everyone agrees to disagree. As Dirty Harry said: opininons are like Ass****, everybody has one.
bouquet.gif

I know where I stand in my opinions and I am sticking by them. I will never buy any DS product which is opened -- I don't care how much I can save. I had a MRSA bacteria which nearly killed me and left me traumatized against all bacterias/virus/infections. So yes, I am paranoid
th_crazy.gif
about hygiene a
nd touching other people. I even make poor Bert scrub up before he can touch me.. lol

sigh.
We are sooooo related, it's not even funny.
friends.gif

MACina

I am glad everyone agrees to disagree. As Dirty Harry said: opininons are like Ass****, everybody has one.
bouquet.gif

I know where I stand in my opinions and I am sticking by them. I will never buy any DS product which is opened -- I don't care how much I can save. I had a MRSA bacteria which nearly killed me and left me traumatized against all bacterias/virus/infections. So yes, I am paranoid
th_crazy.gif
about hygiene and touching other people. I even make poor Bert scrub up before he can touch me.. lol

sigh.

I am so sorry to hear that, HerGreyness
th_cheerup.gif

And IMO it is totally ok to be paranoid about hygiene. I am as well!

Haven

I try to be selective with what I purchase to avoid returns. I have returned unused products. Products that I bring home, look at under normal lighting, and change my mind on. Since I rarely return anything, I have never had issues with returns (that I can recall).

I won't try testers on my face. I have heard too many horror stories about infections from testers. Plus I have seen what some ladies do with testers.
sick.gif

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
I see this all the time. Glosses with broken seals... lipsticks swatched! It's gross! Like who does that?

Drugstore makeup is cheap enough! Either read reviews, look for swatches, take the risk and buy it, or WALK AWAY! If you prefer to test and sample items, go to a department store or Sephora! That's why I fully inspect everything when I want to pick up some drugstore makeup to make sure they're sealed and/or not swatched.

And the worst people are those who swatch LE stuff!
getyou.gif
I'm a little paranoid when it comes to drugstore products too. I rarely buy makeup there, maybe 1-2 items a year. It would be great if all of those products were sealed, I did end up with used ones which I only noticed when I was at home, unfortunately. Another reason why I prefer shopping online (and high end brands).

veronikawithak

Quote: Originally Posted by Naynadine
I'm a little paranoid when it comes to drugstore products too. I rarely buy makeup there, maybe 1-2 items a year. It would be great if all of those products were sealed, I did end up with used ones which I only noticed when I was at home, unfortunately. Another reason I prefer shopping online (and high end brands).

Even when they are sealed to begin with, people open them all the time. I once looked through about 10-15 lipsticks and ALL of them had the seal broken, 4-5 multiples of the same shade were all opened.. I had to go to a new store that recently opened to find ones that were intact and even then some had already been tampered with.

If something is already open I'll test it on my hand, but I won't go open yet another one to test it.. what's wrong with people? Lol.

Jennifae

Specktra Bestie
I'm a little paranoid when it comes to drugstore products too. I rarely buy makeup there, maybe 1-2 items a year. It would be great if all of those products were sealed, I did end up with used ones which I only noticed when I was at home, unfortunately. Another reason I prefer shopping online (and high end brands).
When it comes to DS stuff, I prefer shopping online too, especially when I want to pick up something that isn't sealed (like Maybelline Vivids, Whispers, etc.)... unless it's LE... then I just make sure they're not used or swatched. I'm OCD anyway, so everything has to be perfect, and if there's any chance it was tampered with, I just cuss a little under my breath and walk away.

SavannahLovely

I've returned two makeup items that I can recall... One Mac lipglass because the girl gave me the wrong one. And a YSL cream blush because it had a fingerprint on the surface :shock:

singer82

Im not saying anyone is wrong or right on this topic. This is just my :2cents: ;) I know exactly how you feel. Esp when our car is a pos and gas is too expensive to get down there. So some of us really dont have a choice but online. I've never returned...but if they end up not working they just end up collecting dust. Then there goes my $. Thats why lack of swatches really sucks for us that only buy online.
It's not just a train ride. It's two bus rides adding to that, with bad connections. Not everyone can take half a day to go to a store to check out a cosmetic product, plus online I can get a discount that I don't get in store. Not even adding the cost for the train and bus rides, I could buy another MAC product for that. I'm sorry, but one cosmetic product is not worth that effort and money. If I was planning to buy a lot from one collection, yes, it's probably better to make that effort, but I usually only buy one, maybe two items. It's easier for you to be against returns since I know you get to check out collections months in advance. We'll have to agree to disagree regarding this topic.:)  

steaminghot

Ive only returned one item which was steady going. The lipstick was very patchy I could not get it even. I tried everything. Just didn't work. Loved the colour.

Beautybuyer

I am glad everyone agrees to disagree.  As Dirty Harry said:  opininons are like Ass****, everybody has one.  :bouquet: I know where I stand in my opinions and I am sticking by them.  I will never buy any DS product which is opened -- I don't care how much I can save. I had a MRSA bacteria which nearly killed me and left me traumatized against all bacterias/virus/infections. So yes, I am paranoid:crazy:  about hygiene and touching other people.  I even make poor Bert scrub up before he can touch me.. lol sigh.
My mom has lupus so I've always had to wash my hands and shower constantly. Lol anytime I went out side practically. I don't even buy drug store makeup. But whenever I've looked at it, it's always opened. They should put up signs saying video surveillance, opening IS stealing. Won't stop everyone, but some.

MACina

When it comes to DS stuff, I prefer shopping online too, especially when I want to pick up something that isn't sealed (like Maybelline Vivids, Whispers, etc.)... unless it's LE... then I just make sure they're not used or swatched. I'm OCD anyway, so everything has to be perfect, and if there's any chance it was tampered with, I just cuss a little under my breath and walk away.
You could also ask the SA to get you a brand new one from the warehouse.

Audrey C

The reason so many of us disagree on the return issue is that it isn't black and white. On the one hand, we can all agree that there are valid reasons for returning (what if the foundation breaks you out, even if the colour match is good) and that liberal return policies lead to abusive practices (bloggers who buy to swatch and return, people who order entire collections only intending to keep an item or two); our final position will likely depend on our personal circumstances.

I've returned more MAC than any other brand, and that's because there is no ability for me to swatch ahead of time (I'd love to have Liba or MAC-Guy's access, but I don't) and MAC's business model of LE frenzy often makes it a buy-now or not at all decision. That reality now means that I don't feel bad when I do return an item. Having said that, I'm warm-toned and have one neutral daughter and one cool-toned daughter (just like her father). So the overwhelming majority of items I don't end up wanting just go to one of them. I've also given a lot of items to my older daughter's friends, although I'm no longer prepared to keep items I don't think I'll personally use. Now I will return an item if really doesn't work for me (like the BB cream that broke me out), I think it's of poor quality (that patchy Instigator lipstick) or one of my daughters isn't excited by it. With the amount I've bought from MAC, I'm confident that they wouldn't consider me a problem customer. I doubt that I've even returned 2% of what I've bought over the years.

With other brands it's rare for me to return an item (although I did end up returning Naked 2 for a more suitable palette only because I could). Other brands launch fewer collections and have larger quantities so I have time to try them in the store before making a decision. That's what I like about NARS, Hourglass, MUFE, Bobbi Brown and Urban Decay.

Really, trying before I buy is my preferred approach. That's really only a problem with MAC's LE collections.

If return policies are made more restrictive, I'll understand and not really mind but I will not purchase items that I can't try first. That probably means a near end of MAC LE items, but I wouldn't miss them much anyway. I've largely shifted to other brands at this point for many items. I like MAC lippies, e/s and some face products, but there are lots of treasures in their perm items.

jchait

I don't mean to jump in on an argument, as I honestly don't believe I have ever returned a cosmetics product. I generally just pass it on to someone who can use it. But speaking as someone who lives at least 2 hours away from any MAC (store or counter), Sephora or Ulta, I can say I understand. If samples were available on the website, that would be much easier. I have it a little easier, as I am so pale that I just buy the absolute lightest cool toned foundation I can find and hope to heck it works, but I can't even imagine being in the middle of the pack. I'd pay a couple of dollars to have a sample or small size of products, especially foundations or skincare, with a regular order if I was in the market for a new product, but I'm highly unlikely to drive greater than two hours to a counter to request a sample only to drive back a few days later if I choose to purchase it.
I still say y'all need to move to Florida. 2 hours or more?! That makes me sad for you guys. I want MAC to build you a store close by, that just doesn't seem fair.

MACina

I still say y'all need to move to Florida. 2 hours or more?! That makes me sad for you guys. I want MAC to build you a store close by, that just doesn't seem fair.
You are really lucky to live in a wonderful place like Florida
flower.gif

I had no idea that there were so many MAC locations there!!!!

jchait

You are really lucky to live in a wonderful place like Florida
flower.gif

I had no idea that there were so many MAC locations there!!!!
I love where I live thank you so much MACina. It makes my heart hurt that not all places have such an abundance of MAC places to go to. If anyone ever needs any help let me know!

Ajigglin

So if I don't have a counter near me I shouldn't order nude products at all? What brands like MAC, or in fact any other, should do to avoid most returns? Offer samples or mini sizes, in stores and especially online. There are lots of people who don't have a counter near them or can't go to one for whatever reason. And it's not the customers fault that LEs sell out in minutes, or that some collections are rediciously exclusive, so a lot of the times there isn't really much time to think your purchase through. And not everyone knows about collections weeks ahead like us Specktrettes who invest a lot of time in this.  Swatches and descriptions on websites that are off adding to all of that, or repromotes that don't even look like the original. Plus, german MAC prices are a lot higher (I know other countries have it even worse). I won't keep a $27+ lipstick that is drying, patchy, etc. I did in the past and I'm a little tired of the hassle of selling it on ebay or trying to swap it. When I think about it, the brand I've returned most is MAC. I can only think of two high end brand returns (and some because the item was broken/faulty). For me personally, sometimes the quality that I expect is just not there. The only thing I can do is spend hours trying to find swatches and reviews. But still a product might not work for me even though a lot of people recommend it, or it might even turn out the other way, that a lot of products work wonderfully on me where people said they absolutely do not on NW skintones... If the product doesn't work for me, back it goes, and I don't feel bad about it.
This ish right here all damn day.