MAC Alluring Aquatic Collection (May 22, 2014)

Mac-Guy

This makes so much sense. Most of my foundation hits/misses are found through samples too--nordstrom is really good about giving 1-2 days worth, sometimes in 2-3 different shades.
Forget to add: Specktra makes foundation shopping really easy. Just find a skin buddy and exchange samples. I recall at least half a dozen occasions where I provided foundations samples (from my own stash) to NW10 - 20 gals.

Mac-Guy

So if I don't have a counter near me I shouldn't order nude products at all?
What brands like MAC, or in fact any other, should do to avoid most returns? Offer samples or mini sizes, in stores and especially online. There are lots of people who don't have a counter near them or can't go to one for whatever reason. And it's not the customers fault that LEs sell out in minutes, or that some collections are rediciously exclusive, so a lot of the times there isn't really much time to think your purchase through. And not everyone knows about collections weeks ahead like us Specktrettes who invest a lot of time in this.
Swatches and descriptions on websites that are off adding to all of that, or repromotes that don't even look like the original.
Plus, german MAC prices are a lot higher (I know other countries have it even worse). I won't keep a $27+ lipstick that is drying, patchy, etc. I did in the past and I'm a little tired of the hassle of selling it on ebay or trying to swap it. When I think about it, the brand I've returned most is MAC. I can only think of two high end brand returns (and some because the item was broken/faulty). For me personally, sometimes the quality that I expect is just not there. The only thing I can do is spend hours trying to find swatches and reviews. But still a product might not work for me even though a lot of people recommend it, or it might even turn out the other way, that a lot of products work wonderfully on me where people said they absolutely do not on NW skintones...
If the product doesn't work for me, back it goes, and I don't feel bad about it.
Honey, you live closer to a range of MAC stores and counters (Cologne and Dusseldorf) than most of us do. I don't consider a 45 min train ride a long distance. It's less than what most people spend in the car or on public transport to get to work on a daily basis.
bigstar.gif
Consider yourself lucky that you even have a Pro store near you - that's a privilege that most of us don't have, at least not that close. Yes, it takes an effort and $$$ to go to a store in person, but it's much better than having to deal with return all the time.

And re nudes and foundations: Yes, I'd rather recommend to skip a nude product rather than buying it blindly unless somebody doesn't mind to have a huge stash of make up mistakes. Only buy when you have the opportunity to go to a counter. It's simple as that.

Mac-Guy

I love this idea too aleast I know its new drugstore makeup too many people just swatch and put it back ulta omg half of nyx makeup which I love at my ulta has been swatched
It would be wonderful. If I remember correctly, my BB cream had a seal on it. It shouldn't be too difficult to add it to all products.

allthingsglam

It would be wonderful. If I remember correctly, my BB cream had a seal on it. It shouldn't be too difficult to add it to all products.
:shock: ....really??? That is simply gross :barf:  
Yes I see fingerprints In the blush and eyeshadow or if it has a seal its broken then put back its gross I inspect really hard when I go and I love my ulta its nice there its just something about the nyx products that be all over the place there I'm guessing its because nyx is hard to find besides ordering online and people go swatch crazy

Mac-Guy

Yes I see fingerprints In the blush and eyeshadow or if it has a seal its broken then put back its gross I inspect really hard when I go and I love my ulta its nice there its just something about the nyx products that be all over the place there I'm guessing its because nyx is hard to find besides ordering online and people go swatch crazy
I've seen people doing a full face at Ulta.
censored.gif

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
Honey, you live closer to a range of MAC stores and counters (Cologne and Dusseldorf) than most of us do. I don't consider a 45 min train ride a long distance. It's less than what most people spend in the car or on public transport to get to work on a daily basis.
bigstar.gif
Consider yourself lucky that you even have a Pro store near you - that's a privilege that most of us don't have, at least not that close. Yes, it takes an effort and $$$ to go to a store in person, but it's much better than having to deal with return all the time.

And re nudes and foundations: Yes, I'd rather recommend to skip a nude product rather than buying it blindly unless somebody doesn't mind to have a huge stash of make up mistakes. Only buy when you have the opportunity to go to a counter. It's simple as that.
It's not just a train ride. It's two bus rides adding to that, with bad connections. Not everyone can take half a day to go to a store to check out a cosmetic product, plus online I can get a discount that I don't get in store. Not even adding the cost for the train and bus rides, I could buy another MAC product for that. I'm sorry, but one cosmetic product is not worth that effort and money. If I was planning to buy a lot from one collection, yes, it's probably better to make that effort, but I usually only buy one, maybe two items.
It's easier for you to be against returns since I know you get to check out collections months in advance. We'll have to agree to disagree regarding this topic.
smiles.gif

IAmakeupaddict

It's not just a train ride. It's two bus rides adding to that, with bad connections. Not everyone can take half a day to go to a store to check out a cosmetic product, plus online I can get a discount that I don't get in store. Not even adding the cost for the train and bus rides, I could buy another MAC product for that. I'm sorry, but one cosmetic product is not worth that effort and money. If I was planning to buy a lot from one collection, yes, it's probably better to make that effort, but I usually only buy one, maybe two items.
It's easier for you to be against returns since I know you get to check out collections months in advance. We'll have to agree to disagree regarding this topic.
smiles.gif
I don't mean to jump in on an argument, as I honestly don't believe I have ever returned a cosmetics product. I generally just pass it on to someone who can use it. But speaking as someone who lives at least 2 hours away from any MAC (store or counter), Sephora or Ulta, I can say I understand. If samples were available on the website, that would be much easier. I have it a little easier, as I am so pale that I just buy the absolute lightest cool toned foundation I can find and hope to heck it works, but I can't even imagine being in the middle of the pack. I'd pay a couple of dollars to have a sample or small size of products, especially foundations or skincare, with a regular order if I was in the market for a new product, but I'm highly unlikely to drive greater than two hours to a counter to request a sample only to drive back a few days later if I choose to purchase it.

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
I don't mean to jump in on an argument, as I honestly don't believe I have ever returned a cosmetics product. I generally just pass it on to someone who can use it. But speaking as someone who lives at least 2 hours away from any MAC (store or counter), Sephora or Ulta, I can say I understand. If samples were available on the website, that would be much easier. I have it a little easier, as I am so pale that I just buy the absolute lightest cool toned foundation I can find and hope to heck it works, but I can't even imagine being in the middle of the pack. I'd pay a couple of dollars to have a sample or small size of products, especially foundations or skincare, with a regular order if I was in the market for a new product, but I'm highly unlikely to drive greater than two hours to a counter to request a sample only to drive back a few days later if I choose to purchase it.
yes.gif
I would happily pay for samples online. I'm happy that there are kind forum members who have helped me out with samples so I could try a product and saved me from wasting money or having to return a product. But it's not possible all the time.

Mac-Guy

puke.gif
puke.gif
puke.gif

I have seen that at my local dm in the past too.They used the testers to do their faces
thud.gif
sick.gif
throwup.gif
Oh dear. At dm, I've only seen the body lotion girls, aka the ones who have no shame and use half a bottle of body lotion and then put it back on the shelf. :)

shontay07108

I'm not getting the compact. I don't need what's in it and I think the raindrops will annoy me. Also, I have a gorgeous EL compact that I keep handy. :eyelove:
. I have my share of beautiful compacts but those raindrops speak to me. I can't even explain.

Jennifae

Specktra Bestie
I love this idea too aleast I know its new drugstore makeup too many people just swatch and put it back ulta omg half of nyx makeup which I love at my ulta has been swatched
I see this all the time. Glosses with broken seals... lipsticks swatched! It's gross! Like who does that?

Drugstore makeup is cheap enough! Either read reviews, look for swatches, take the risk and buy it, or WALK AWAY! If you prefer to test and sample items, go to a department store or Sephora! That's why I fully inspect everything when I want to pick up some drugstore makeup to make sure they're sealed and/or not swatched.

And the worst people are those who swatch LE stuff!
getyou.gif

User38

I am glad everyone agrees to disagree. As Dirty Harry said: opininons are like Ass****, everybody has one.
bouquet.gif

I know where I stand in my opinions and I am sticking by them. I will never buy any DS product which is opened -- I don't care how much I can save. I had a MRSA bacteria which nearly killed me and left me traumatized against all bacterias/virus/infections. So yes, I am paranoid
th_crazy.gif
about hygiene and touching other people. I even make poor Bert scrub up before he can touch me.. lol

sigh.

Latest posts