MAC BRUSHES (GENERAL DISCUSSION)

califabulous

i love the 224 for my crease. I have big a** eyes
icon_eek.gif
and this brush is the perf size for my crease. I also LOVE the 217 for outer crease. I am patiently waiting for the 226 to show up again as Iwill snag that for my crease as well. my 224 sheds a bit here and there. nothing to complain about. However i love it for my crease so much i have not used it under eye. I have the sephora 57 or my fingers for that purpose. if I'm wearing eye shadow i'm using the 224 for sure even if it's the only brush I use. I have SK eye shader brushes, large and small duo fibre and that damn spoolie goes everywhere with me! oh yea i did get the flat contour brush as a dupe for the mac version that came out with the sculpting creams. I don't use it that much but I do like it for a super defined cheek contour.

I am slowly building my collection as I have to do a lot of research on before I decide to purchase any brushes. I want quality based on what I'll use it for. I have elf brushes that I use more than some of my mac brushes.

Can someone tell me what the 130 is for? i got it for liquid foundation but I haven't picked it up since i got my beauty blender. I'm thinking of using it for moisturizer but it seems like such a waste of a great brush.

erine1881

The 130 works great for buffing liquids or creams into the skin. It also works great for more concentration of powder products too.

DILLIGAF

thanks for that. is the Japonesque cheaper?
I get frustrated with washing my thick, buffing brushes and was looking for something that I could dip in cleanser and it would dissovle the product off of it. I thought the Parian would work like that.

thanks for that. great eye looks by the way.
oh wow... really?
If you purchase the 16 oz ( the size I have) from Japonesque it runs about $30. Same size from Amazon without the Japonesque label is $18. See what I mean about the markup.

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by lilinah
I've never used Parian Spirit Brush Cleaner because i read so much bad or mediocre about it on makeupalley. Out of 26 products, only 6 rated lower than Parian Spirit.

Of course, that's not the same as personal experience...

Quote: Originally Posted by Prettypackages
oh wow... really?

Well, as i said, i haven't used it, so i really don't know. There are 46 reviews, and sometimes people have different experiences. So just 'cuz most reviewers on makeupalley are not excited about it, doesn't mean you might not have a great experience with it. I know i LOVE some products that i've reviewed on MUA that nobody else loved...

Claire Voyant

is the Japonesque cheaper?  I get frustrated with washing my thick, buffing brushes and was looking for something that I could dip in cleanser and it would dissovle the product off of it.  I thought the Parian would work like that.
I spot clean my brushes after each use with 91% alcohol mixed with a few drop of my favorite essence oil (grapefruit or lavender). Once or twice a month, I deep clean with Philosophy's Purity soap. Works great and I've had several brushes for over five years and they look new.

MrsFen

Question: I like my MAC 150 brush...but I have had it for 7+ years. After going to the MAC store this past weekend I am thinking of maybe buying another one. The one that I have is ok, but it is not in the same shape as the one I used at the store (it is worn down from years of using and cleaning). Do you think it's worth it to invest in a new one, since it has been so long? I use it EVERYDAY with my studio fix powder...thoughts?

OR should I just get a 129 (which a MAC makeup artist suggested if I am looking to buy a new brush for studio fix) and keep my 150 that I have. #macproblems
sigh.gif

Claire Voyant

Question: I like my MAC 150 brush...but I have had it for 7+ years. After going to the MAC store this past weekend I am thinking of maybe buying another one. The one that I have is ok, but it is not in the same shape as the one I used at the store (it is worn down from years of using and cleaning). Do you think it's worth it to invest in a new one, since it has been so long? I use it EVERYDAY with my studio fix powder...thoughts? OR should I just get a 129 (which a MAC makeup artist suggested if I am looking to buy a new brush for studio fix) and keep my 150 that I have. #macproblems 
sigh.gif
If by "worn down" you mean it doesn't hold its shape anymore, I think I'd try to salvage it first just because the 150s 7 years ago look fuller to me than the ones currently being stocked. I put brush guards over the brushes that tend to splay outwards to keep them holding their shape. Before I bought my brush guards, I was close to throwing a brush out . . .but then shampooed the brush, placed a guard on it and let it dry . . .it looked good as new.

MrsFen

Thanks for the advice. I have thought about buying brush guards, but wasn't sure if it was too late for this one. Good to know that it worked for you, maybe I will try!

And yes, by worn out I mean the bristles have splayed outwards :(

erine1881

Question: I like my MAC 150 brush...but I have had it for 7+ years. After going to the MAC store this past weekend I am thinking of maybe buying another one. The one that I have is ok, but it is not in the same shape as the one I used at the store (it is worn down from years of using and cleaning). Do you think it's worth it to invest in a new one, since it has been so long? I use it EVERYDAY with my studio fix powder...thoughts? OR should I just get a 129 (which a MAC makeup artist suggested if I am looking to buy a new brush for studio fix) and keep my 150 that I have. #macproblems 
sigh.gif
That's weird. I've had mine for over 10 years and looks exactly the same as the day i bought it. I love the 150 for SF. Aside from the brush guards, keep an eye out for how you're using the brush-you might be using it too aggressively, which contributes the the fraying. The 129 would also work, but with it being smaller, you have to work more at covering the face, where the 150 covers quickly since it's a larger brush.

MrsFen

It could be because I didn't really start taking care of my brushes until 2 years ago. I bought the brush cleaner when I first bought my brush but never really bothered using it. Also, you may be right, maybe I am using it too aggressive? When the MUA used it she just tap it lightly on my face, where as I use it in a circular motion and then brush outward. Below is a pic of my brush.

erine1881

It could be because I didn't really start taking care of my brushes until 2 years ago. I bought the brush cleaner when I first bought my brush but never really bothered using it. Also, you may be right, maybe I am using it too aggressive? When the MUA used it she just tap it lightly on my face, where as I use it in a circular motion and then brush outward.  Below is a pic of my brush.
Oh, yeah he most definitely needs replaced :(

Hollia

My old brushes just have to go! They all seem to have come to the end of their life at the same time. Can anyone suggest a starter selection. I don't know where to start. Thanks x

Claire Voyant

My old brushes just have to go! They all seem to have come to the end of their life at the same time. Can anyone suggest a starter selection. I  don't know where to start. Thanks x
Starter Selection? Hmmm . . .hard to know where I'd start as I've never regretted a Mac brush purpose . . .but if I was just starting out, maybe the following?: 187 - for foundation, blush, highlight 166 - eyebrow & eyeliner 239 eye shadow 224 shadow blending and crease 138 Contour, Blush, Powder, highlighter There are other brushes I prefer for doing many of the tasks I listed, but these brushes could get the job done n a pinch and is a good starting point, I think.

Latest posts