MAC BRUSHES (GENERAL DISCUSSION)

califabulous

So who/what Face shape uses the 116? I just got it but I think i shouldhave gotten the 129. The MUA said I should get b/c I have small cheek bones...or he said its good for someone with small cheek bones... Lol

MACerette

It can cause the hairs to snap off, and the entire brush head to fray. I had people come to the counter with a 266 that looked like a 15yr old broom, or a 150 that looks like a child's hair when they wake up in the morning.
girlhaha.gif

erine1881

So who/what Face shape uses the 116? I just got it but I think i shouldhave gotten the 129. The MUA said I should get b/c I have small cheek bones...or he said its good for someone with small cheek bones... Lol
It's great for small apples for blush, or great for small cheekbones for highlight.

lyseD

My super sweet daughter gave me the MAC 184 for my birthday yesterday.

She said she chose it because I have nothing like it --- true.

Any suggestions what to use it for.

Thank you.

MACerette

My super sweet daughter gave me the MAC 184 for my birthday yesterday.

She said she chose it because I have nothing like it --- true.

Any suggestions what to use it for.

Thank you.
Or a subtle wash of a bright blush for example.

jennyap

Anybody want to share their thoughts on the 215 brush?

I've just spotted that it's in the goodbyes on the UK site, wondering if I should pick it up before it disappears?

lyseD

So my low buy did not go too well in 2014.
shrugs.gif

I'm thinking of buying fewer make up products in 2015 and instead getting some new brushes.

Maybe one brush a month. Suggestions about where to start?

Thanks for your help.

Rebecca88

Just got my first mac brushes. Got the 217 and 239. Thinking of getting the 187 or 188 and the 219 next. Would the 159 be good to use for highlighters? And for someone who doesnt own a foundation brush which would you suggest the 188 or 187? I use prolongwear foundation. So happy I saw this thread!

phoebeloves

So happy I saw this thread!

I use the 159 for highlighters and I think it works fine for general use. I also tend to use the 138 or 109 depending on the higher I use and the type of application I want.

For foundation I have used the 109 and 130 in the past but I do not currently use MAC brushes for foundation (I use the UD optical blurring brush). I personally like my foundation brushes to be dense with shorter bristles as this provides more coverage for me with less foundation. I have used the 187 and 188 in the past for foundation and I felt like they did not allow much control (especially the 187). In my personal experience, the 187 and 188 will apply the foundation more sheer and may have to be built up. I think picking a foundation brush is very personal, depending on the type of application you want. If you could I would recommend visiting a counter and asking the MUA to see the brushes you're interested in and see how they apply the product... I hope this helps!

Rebecca88

I use the 159 for highlighters and I think it works fine for general use. I also tend to use the 138 or 109 depending on the higher I use and the type of application I want.

For foundation I have used the 109 and 130 in the past but I do not currently use MAC brushes for foundation (I use the UD optical blurring brush). I personally like my foundation brushes to be dense with shorter bristles as this provides more coverage for me with less foundation. I have used the 187 and 188 in the past for foundation and I felt like they did not allow much control (especially the 187). In my personal experience, the 187 and 188 will apply the foundation more sheer and may have to be built up. I think picking a foundation brush is very personal, depending on the type of application you want. If you could I would recommend visiting a counter and asking the MUA to see the brushes you're interested in and see how they apply the product... I hope this helps!
Thank you so so much this has been very helpful!

I automatically thought that getting the 187 would be a good one to purchase. I didn't think to purchase any other ones (from MAC) for foundation. I also read that some use the 109 for foundation, and of course it is what works for you, but you cannot really know until you've really tried it. And with some things it's only through continous use and becoming better at your technique that you really figure out which brush you need/want.

So I thought the 187 would be safe, but I guess not :-( ! <3 I'll post later when I've made my purchase :-D regarding which ones I've decided on.

erine1881

Just got my first mac brushes. Got the 217 and 239. Thinking of getting the 187 or 188 and the 219 next. Would the 159 be good to use for highlighters? And for someone who doesnt own a foundation brush which would you suggest the 188 or 187? I use prolongwear foundation. So happy I saw this thread!
If you're choosing between the 187 and 188 for foundation, go with the 188. I use it on all my clients for liquid foundation. The 187 is just too big for the face for foundation, but it works great for setting powder and all over powder. The 188 is small and reaches around the nose and under the eyes perfectly. It's nice and loose too so it doesn't apply foundation too heavily, yet not too sheer either. If you want a little more coverage, just go back and add another layer where it's needed. I use Studio Fix Fluid on my clients, which is a fuller coverage, and it doesn't pile it on like other, more dense brushes would, and they love that about the brush. Since you're planning on using the PLW foundation, which is a medium coverage, it'll sheer it down eer so slightly, but still maintain coverage. It'll also be easier to clean than more dense brushes, which is great, especially because PLW foundation is tough to get out of brushes anyway unless you're using an oil-based cleanser. And if you're using a dnese brush, if that foundation gets trapped down in the dense fibres, it's tough to get out. But it all depends on the coverage you're looking for and ease of cleaning. Hope that helps.

iaisha26

I LIVE for MAC brushes!!!

I own many, but 180 is my fave face brush, 217 is my fave eye brush, and 208 is my fave lip brush...ok not designed for lips, but I only use a lip brush for bold colors & this brush is great for lining/filling.

Latest posts