MAC BRUSHES (GENERAL DISCUSSION)

erine1881

My old brushes just have to go! They all seem to have come to the end of their life at the same time. Can anyone suggest a starter selection. I  don't know where to start. Thanks x
It all depends on what products you use. No need for a foundation if you don't use it. Same with a liner brush if you only wear pencil. But here's a list of ones that are essential. Cross off what you don't need. Foundation- 130-cream 188-liquid 150-powder Face- 150-powder 129-blush 188-highlight Eye- 239-lid 217-crease 224-blend 266-liner

Sylvia60

I want to get a Hakuhodo brush. A face brush that is fluffy and luxurious! It will be the same price as a month's cell phone bill,but worth it! I also love the shape of some of their brushes. Just amazing.
If you're into fluffy and luxurious, try Koyudo brushes, available for export here
http://cooljapannow.jp/shop.html/17

All my Koyudo brushes are winners. The softness is amazing, the shapes take even rushed morning makeup to another level.

Warning: the eye brushes, in particular C011 are wonderful, the fupa series to die for and the Red Squirrel to sell your soul for.
I ordered the fupa 14 in a moment of madness last month, it should arrive any day now and I'll let the forum know what it's like.

Sylvia60

By coincidence a dear friend of mine has just made a video of her Hakuhodo brush collection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwBK8aLbBkk&feature=player_embedded

Enjoy!

lyseD

I'm thinking of trying some Real Techniques brushes -- any suggestions on which to start with?

Thank you.

Yazmin

I'm thinking of trying some Real Techniques brushes -- any suggestions on which to start with? Thank you.
The starter set and core collection are great to start with. You also can't go wrong with individual brushes like the powder, blush stippling or expert face brush, which are all fantastic multi-purpose brushes. If you go to http://realtechniques.com/videos/blog#the-brushes you can see videos on the brushes and how they can be used.

MissTT

I need a new blush brush. Why would one purchase an angled vs. round brush? Would an angled brush be streaky or otherwise less versatile?

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by MissTT
I need a new blush brush. Why would one purchase an angled vs. round brush? Would an angled brush be streaky or otherwise less versatile?

I would think it would have to do with several things: the shape of your face / cheeks, where you like to wear your blush, and how you like to wear your blush.

I have fairly strong cheek bones; i do not like to wear my blush on the soft part of the cheeks closer to the nose ("apples"), but keep it up and back on the cheek bones; i like a lot of control in my application; i prefer more subtle rather than strong color; and i mostly keep highlighter just on my cheek bone.

Between the two, I would prefer an angled brush. An angled brush may also be useful for contouring, which i do occasionally. For a while i was using an angled fluffy eye shadow brush to apply blush so i could have a lot of control; then i'd buff it with a dense flat topped brush to soften the edges. Now most of the time i use a MAC 188 Duo Fiber (good for control and lighter application), although i'm now playing with a NARS Yachiyo on occasion, and i often still use that angled eyeshadow brush for highlighter.

A round brush may be more suitable for someone who has fuller cheeks than mine, and/or prefers blush on the apples of their cheeks, or likes a more general application of blush and/or highlighter.

Each kind of brush is held a bit differently to apply blush. So if you try one that is different than what you're used to, it could take playing around a few times to get the hang of it. An angled brush only applies stuff in a streaky manner if the user isn't using it right - or it's not a good brush.

erine1881

Typically the size of the brush is more important than the shape when it comes to blush. But when choosing an angled brush vs a rounder brush, you have the option of also using the angled brush for contour as well. Tho round brushes are also used for contouring, an angled brush is shaped to fit the angles of the face nicely when contouring. I personally use a rounder brush (129) for blush, as it's the perfect shape, not to small/big, for all cheeks sizes. I use and angled brush (168) for cream blush, and i used a tapered brush (138) when contouring. It's really all about preference and which brush you feel most comfortable using for your needs.

MissTT

Thank you kindly. I have an oval face and have used an angled brush in the past (some Sephora set), but it seems most people use round brushes so I wondered what was up. I've switched to round and Yachiyo only b/c my old angled brush is, well, old. I swiped the round blush brush from one of my daughter's Real Techniques kits. Lately, however, I've been feeling the round doesn't quite suit my face so was leaning toward an angled brush again. I try to avoid my apples as well so it sounds like the angled might be a good choice for me.

This just got me thinking about strong cheeks. What do you think about this brush? It came with a bronzer I picked up for my daughter. Doesn't it seem like using that would place color on top of your cheekbones where one would typically highlight? I don't know about this gadget.

erine1881

Thank you kindly. I have an oval face and have used an angled brush in the past (some Sephora set), but it seems most people use round brushes so I wondered what was up. I've switched to round and Yachiyo only b/c my old angled brush is, well, old. I swiped the round blush brush from one of my daughter's Real Techniques kits. Lately, however, I've been feeling the round doesn't quite suit my face so was leaning toward an angled brush again. I try to avoid my apples as well so it sounds like the angled might be a good choice for me. This just got me thinking about strong cheeks. What do you think about this brush? It came with a bronzer I picked up for my daughter. Doesn't it seem like using that would place color on top of your cheekbones where one would typically highlight? I don't know about this gadget.
Definitely a bronzer brush, but just for the jawline, and thats if you could even get it on the brush! It wouldn't really apply bronzer correctly to other areas of the face. My freind manages the BE counter, I'll have to ask her about it.

MissTT

That would be great, thanks. I think it was meant for the cheeks. I've googled and haven't found a good explanation for it.

MissTT

Hey I didn't say it would look good. They wouldn't make a jaw only brush at BE. I mean how could it go on your forehead, etc? This brush is cray I tell you. I could imagine it with those duo pan colors that have a blush and highlight. Two products, 1 swipe, correct placement.
th_dunno.gif

erine1881

Hey I didn't say it would look good. They wouldn't make a jaw only brush at BE. I mean how could it go on your forehead, etc? This brush is cray I tell you. I could imagine it with those duo pan colors that have a blush and highlight. Two products, 1 swipe, correct placement. 
th_dunno.gif
:roflmao:

Prettypackages

Hey everyone, is it possible to wash your brushes too hard? And soften the bristles? Like a stiff brush wouldn't turn into a fluffly brush right?

Or a fluffy brush becomes to soft and fluffy?

erine1881

Hey everyone, is it possible to wash your brushes too hard?  And soften the bristles?  Like a stiff brush wouldn't turn into a fluffly brush right?  Or a fluffy brush becomes to soft and fluffy?
Nope. Unfortunately you can't change the texture of the hair. But washing too hard can definitely ruin them beyond repair.

Sojourner

I would think it would have to do with several things: the shape of your face / cheeks, where you like to wear your blush, and how you like to wear your blush.

I have fairly strong cheek bones; i do not like to wear my blush on the soft part of the cheeks closer to the nose ("apples"), but keep it up and back on the cheek bones; i like a lot of control in my application; i prefer more subtle rather than strong color; and i mostly keep highlighter just on my cheek bone.

Between the two, I would prefer an angled brush. An angled brush may also be useful for contouring, which i do occasionally. For a while i was using an angled fluffy eye shadow brush to apply blush so i could have a lot of control; then i'd buff it with a dense flat topped brush to soften the edges. Now most of the time i use a MAC 188 Duo Fiber (good for control and lighter application), although i'm now playing with a NARS Yachiyo on occasion, and i often still use that angled eyeshadow brush for highlighter.

A round brush may be more suitable for someone who has fuller cheeks than mine, and/or prefers blush on the apples of their cheeks, or likes a more general application of blush and/or highlighter.

Each kind of brush is held a bit differently to apply blush. So if you try one that is different than what you're used to, it could take playing around a few times to get the hang of it. An angled brush only applies stuff in a streaky manner if the user isn't using it right - or it's not a good brush.
Ditto all this!

Latest posts