MAC BRUSHES (GENERAL DISCUSSION)

MissTT

Ok, ok erine1881, I will try to let it go. I just get the sads every time I glance at it. I honestly try to avoid white bristle brushes which stinks because I know I need to pick up a few other MAC eye brushes. In my mind everyone else has clean brushes and my white ones look filthy. Okay filthy is extreme, but they look dingy.

kimbunney

I don't even use their "224" brush as a blending eye brush because its quite useless in my opinion. I do use it for spot concealing. My poor F80 bite the dusk within a year of using and washing. My poor concealer brush handle just broke. I just think their eye blending brushes are terrible all the way around. But some positive I LOVE their "109" its not as soft as MAC but its pretty close. But I agree for long term MAC is the way to go.
But then again it's a personal choice/what's in the budget. Sigma's a cheaper way to start.

sss215

Ok, ok erine1881, I will try to let it go. I just get the sads every time I glance at it. I honestly try to avoid white bristle brushes which stinks because I know I need to pick up a few other MAC eye brushes. In my mind everyone else has clean brushes and my white ones look filthy. Okay filthy is extreme, but they look dingy.
I use Dr. Bonner's Magic Soap and it gets the stains. All of my white brushes are still white.

MissTT

I use Dr. Bonner's Magic Soap and it gets the stains. All of my white brushes are still white.
thmbup.gif

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
I always thought Sigma brushes are MAC fakes, so I never looked at them. I think I have about 26 MAC brushes now, there are 8-10 more on my wishlist, and then I want to try some other brands as well, like Hakuhodo.
I have two of the 239 and 217 too, since they're my most used eye brushes. For cleansing I use MAC's brush cleanser, and aleppo soap additional to that if the white bristles are still a little stained.

pemily

I think I will stick to my mac and hakuhodos.

i feel more comfortable knowing I've invested in a good tool.

Hakuhodo make a great highlight brush and some great eye blenders alzo

i have a post on my blog with pics if anyone is interested.

mymacaddiction

I have a few sigma brushes and they are pretty nice. Some are just not comparable to Mac quality, but a few are pretty close. And some are unique and there is no Mac counterpart and those are good in their own right. I've been happy with the ones I've purchased except the f40, I think it's called. Supposed to be similar to the 168 but it's not even close.

trayceeee

I picked up the 189 and it works pretty well with pressed powders, however, I just realized I don't really use pressed powders. LOL. (I got a sample of the new MUFE powder foundation and tried it with that.) Any other recommendations for this brush? I'm afraid I'm gonna have to get rid of it.
I use MSFN everyday and read this brush was released with it. May have to add it to my RiRi order later this year. right now I alternate between a real techniques powder brush and a 134 for my Msfn.

shellygrrl

Staff member
I've never heard of this before? Is it for brushes, or is it hand soap? :hmm:
They're multi-purpose, it seems? I don't use them (I use baby shampoo or MAC's brush cleanser) but I know others have used it for brush cleaning. http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/LS.htm
I think I have about 26 MAC brushes now, there are 8-10 more on my wishlist, and then I want to try some other brands as well, like Hakuhodo.
Hakuhodo is on my "Brands To Try" list, too.
I have a few sigma brushes and they are pretty nice. Some are just not comparable to Mac quality, but a few are pretty close. And some are unique and there is no Mac counterpart and those are good in their own right. I've been happy with the ones I've purchased except the f40, I think it's called. Supposed to be similar to the 168 but it's not even close.
Yep, F40 = 168 equivalent. I have the F40; it isn't bad, IMO, but I want to try the 168. I also have the F05 (has shed some since I've owned it; not completely, but it is annoying; want to try the 109), F60 (ferrule loosened only three weeks after I bought it; I don't use it anymore), F80 (my favourite), E25 x 2 (I tend to prefer it for applying colour over blending it; one of them is short-handled), E45 (pointier than my 226, but I've come to prefer my LY38), E55 (so-so), and P82 (used this for concealer, and I kind of think it's stiffened over time. I've come to prefer the Real Techniques Deluxe Crease Brush from the Starter Kit). Sigma's been pretty hit-or-miss for me.

sss215

I've never heard of this before? Is it for brushes, or is it hand soap? :hmm:
It's for everything, all natural veggie based Castile soaps with an array of natural oils thrown in. You can you it for stains in clothes, makeup brushes, art brushes, cleaning the bathroom, washing your hair, baths (people and dogs), showers, cleaning the car, anything you name it. I was using baby shampoo at first, but wanted to find a natural alternative. I tried it a few years ago and have never turned back. The only thing is that it's not antibacterial, so I make a solution with this soap and a little bit of antibacterial dawn. I soak the brushes for about a minute before I wash them. If I'm out of dawn, I add a few drops of tea tee oil instead. Another thing about this soap is that you can get a huge bottle for under 10 bucks. One bottle lasts at least 3 months! Peppermint is my favorite scent.

erine1881

Thanks for the info! Definitely gonna check it out! And definitely gonna get some tea tree oil too for sanitizing. Dawn is a big :nono:

LAKESHA1908

I've never heard of this before? Is it for brushes, or is it hand soap?
hmm.gif
It's like a multi-use type of soap, it's in target in the natural hair and body products. It has many organic oils mixed with essential oils. It cleans without being harsh. It's great as a brush cleaner and it works really well on white haired brushes. It has like 18 different uses and they have different scents.

It's called Dr. Bronners Magic Pure Castille Soap.

LAKESHA1908

Another thing about this soap is that you can get a huge bottle for under 10 bucks. One bottle lasts at least 3 months! Peppermint is my favorite scent.
I love it and I love the Tea Tree scent! nooooooooooooooooooooo dish soap!!! I find it funny that MAC stresses their brush cleaner, but, I don't like it and my old counter Deep Cleaned their brushes with Garnier Fructis lmfao...because, I saw the bottles behind the counter with brushes layed neatly!! I am not biased to use real shampoo and conditioner because, I do use them as well.

I like to add a drop of MAC Cleanse Off Oil and it works like a dream.

VampyCouture

I don't even use their "224" brush as a blending eye brush because its quite useless in my opinion. I do use it for spot concealing. My poor F80 bite the dusk within a year of using and washing. My poor concealer brush handle just broke. I just think their eye blending brushes are terrible all the way around. But some positive I LOVE their "109" its not as soft as MAC but its pretty close. But I agree for long term MAC is the way to go.
For the longest time, I refused to buy sigma brushes because I just thought they were overrated and everyone raved about them. I finally bought the Sigmax collection and I although I like the F80, I never reach for that set! I have reached for it a total of 3 times and it's been almost a year. Go figure.

I bought their E40 and it shed like crazy, I couldn't believe it! I called and they replaced it, but it still sheds quite a bit. I'm sticking to my handy 130 brush, my RT brushes and my 208, 224, 217, 239, etc...I will say that I like their small tapered highlighting brush though.

erine1881

I love it and I love the Tea Tree scent! nooooooooooooooooooooo dish soap!!! I find it funny that MAC stresses their brush cleaner, but, I don't like it and my old counter Deep Cleaned their brushes with Garnier Fructis lmfao...because, I saw the bottles behind the counter with brushes layed neatly!! I am not biased to use real shampoo and conditioner because, I do use them as well. I like to add a drop of MAC Cleanse Off Oil and it works like a dream.
They stress the brush cleanser for spot cleansing. We used dial sometimes to deep clean. Big difference between spot and deep cleaning.
Yes, I keep tea tree oil on deck because, it's great for your scalp ; ) and it smells sooooooooooooo good.
I also read it's good for eczema! I'm battling it right now, currently on chemo for it. I'm definitely gonna pick some up tomorrow!

Latest posts