MAC BRUSHES (GENERAL DISCUSSION)

MissTT

Ugh am I doing something wrong? I've been trying to use the 136 this week to apply loose powder to set my foundation and I feel like the brush is just putting the powder on my face where I've laid the brush, but not really moving it around well. It causes heavy patches of powder. Anyone else using this brush and have tips?

lilinah

I'm looking at the MAC eye brushes right now. The 249 is bigger than the 242, and i wonder if maybe i might like the 242 better. I like a lot of control when i put on eye colors.

lilinah

I've never heard of this before? Is it for brushes, or is it hand soap?
hmm.gif
I'm back with too much information, as usual. But i used to use this stuff in the late 1960s and 1970s, so i have fond memories...

Dr. Bronner's is an all-natural liquid castile soap. Besides the unscented, it also comes scented with pure natural oils of peppermint, or eucalyptus, or lavender, or almond, or any of several other scents. The original version went on the market since 1948. It has been sold in health food stores for several scores of years. It was available in bulk - you could fill your own bottles - or pre-packaged from 2 oz. to a gallon. The soap was recommended for washing everything - hands and body, hair, dishes, hand laundry...

The labels could be a bit difficult to read because Dr. Bronner - who was the third generation in his family to make soap commercially - covered them with meaningful spiritual quotes urging peace and understanding among peoples. The brand was hugely popular with hippies, health food enthusiasts, and other green sorts of people, before the phrase "green" became a nearly meaningless buzzword. And the soaps were featured in the original Whole Earth Catalogues.

There's even a webpage where you can read what it says on each of the different labels! because each of the eight labels has different messages.
http://www.drbronner.com/dr_bronners_philosophy.php
It was always a pleasurable moment while out shopping to stop in front of the soap display and read the labels.

The good Dr. died 1997 and his sons and grandsons took over the company. They didn't change the beloved product, although they did modernize the labels, removing the long quotes, to make them easier to read. This caused a furore - they got lots of complaints from loyal users. So they returned the labels to the way i remember them from the late 1960s.

Since then they've added hemp oil, become certified organic, sourced their ingredients through certified fair trade sources, gotten their products certified as not animal tested, and packaged products in bottles made of 100% post-consumer recycled plastic. And they've expanded their product line beyond liquid and bar soaps.

Good stuff.

DILLIGAF

I love that stuff. I'll have to start buying it again.
If its going to return some of my white brushes to their original color I'm down for the cause. I have two white brushes that have been stained by MUFE 92 that I would like to see white again. As it is I only use those brushes on that particular color.

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
I bought this hoping it would be similar to the 165 http://www.bobbibrowncosmetics.com/product/2282/24767/Brushes-etc/Brushes-and-Tools/Face/Sheer-Powder-Brush/SS13/index.tmpl
I'm eyeing that one too. I haven't tried BB brushes yet, but most people I've come across seem to like them better than MAC brushes.

And I want to start using e/s for my brows not just a pencil, so I want the 208 now too.

lilinah

I just bought the 188 and I'm in love. I love it for blush. I haven't tried it for highlighter yet.
I have a 187 dupe in Ecotools and Bare escentuals, so I haven't bought that one yet.
https://hunch.com/item/hn_3767811/bare-escentuals-feather-light-brush/
http://ambralightplay.wordpress.com/2012/12/30/ecotools-by-alicia-silverstone-5-piece-brush-set-review/

I returned the 130, it shed waaay too much. Maybe I'll try it again.
Wow, you seem to have bad MAC brush luck. My 130 doesn't shed - i mean, maybe it dropped one hair out of multiple uses and washing. I'm sorry this seems to keep happening to you!

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
I have the unscented Dr. Bronner's too, but never tried it for my brushes. If you have stained brushes, maybe try aleppo soap as well, it's all natural too and works wonders for my white bristle brushes.

lilinah

Re Dr. Bonner's Magic Soap, twas written:
Another thing about this soap is that you can get a huge bottle for under 10 bucks. One bottle lasts at least 3 months! Peppermint is my favorite scent.
Dr. Bronner's makes a tea tree version of the liquid soap and it uses pure 100% organic tea tree oil.

sss215

I can't imagine using that brush with powder...  It looks like a paddle liquid found brush...   Is it discont? 
Yeah, me neither, and it came out with a powder product. Go figure
If its going to return some of my white brushes to their original color I'm down for the cause. I have two white brushes that have been stained by MUFE 92 that I would like to see white again. As it is I only use those brushes on that particular color.
Use very warm water to wash, cold to rinse to get all the suds out. You want that squeaky clean after using this soap, its highly concentrated and a little goes a long way. A teardrop amount will suds the brush up nicely.

LAKESHA1908

Clearly, if a well known magazine published that you can put makeup brushes in the dishwasher, the author of the article is insane!!! It would damage the ferrule.....I can't today!

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by LAKESHA1908
Clearly, if a well known magazine published that you can put makeup brushes in the dishwasher, the author of the article is insane!!! It would damage the ferrule.....I can't today!

Hah! Maybe they work for a brush company - and that's a way to get people to have to go out and buy all new brushes
cutey.gif

trayceeee

I have that, how do you use it?  Pat it on? Stipple?  Or rub it on the skin?  As you can tell, I'm trying to find the best technique for it. Sometimes it blends like a dream.  Other times it creates a patchy mess.  
I put the concealer on the back of my hand, tap the brush into it and then stipple and blend under eyes or problem areas. The patchy application happens when my brush has too much dried product. Usually flawless though!!