MAC BRUSHES (GENERAL DISCUSSION)

erine1881

I'm back with too much information, as usual. But i used to use this stuff in the late 1960s and 1970s, so i have fond memories... Dr. Bronner's is an all-natural liquid castile soap. Besides the unscented, it also comes scented with pure natural oils of peppermint, or eucalyptus, or lavender, or almond, or any of several other scents. The original version went on the market since 1948. It has been sold in health food stores for several scores of years. It was available in bulk - you could fill your own bottles - or pre-packaged from 2 oz. to a gallon. The soap was recommended for washing everything - hands and body, hair, dishes, hand laundry... The labels could be a bit difficult to read because Dr. Bronner - who was the third generation in his family to make soap commercially - covered them with meaningful spiritual quotes urging peace and understanding among peoples. The brand was hugely popular with hippies, health food enthusiasts, and other green sorts of people, before the phrase "green" became a nearly meaningless buzzword. And the soaps were featured in the original Whole Earth Catalogues. There's even a webpage where you can read what it says on each of the different labels! because each of the eight labels has different messages. http://www.drbronner.com/dr_bronners_philosophy.php It was always a pleasurable moment while out shopping to stop in front of the soap display and read the labels. The good Dr. died 1997 and his sons and grandsons took over the company. They didn't change the beloved product, although they did modernize the labels, removing the long quotes, to make them easier to read. This caused a furore - they got lots of complaints from loyal users. So they returned the labels to the way i remember them from the late 1960s. Since then they've added hemp oil, become certified organic, sourced their ingredients through certified fair trade sources, gotten their products certified as not animal tested, and packaged products in bottles made of 100% post-consumer recycled plastic. And they've expanded their product line beyond liquid and bar soaps. Good stuff.
That's why we :heart: you, our resident info freak-a-zoid!
I'm eyeing that one too. I haven't tried BB brushes yet, but most people I've come across seem to like them better than MAC brushes. And I want to start using e/s for my brows not just a pencil, so I want the 208 now too.
:nods:

Prettypackages

I put the concealer on the back of my hand, tap the brush into it and then stipple and blend under eyes or problem areas. The patchy application happens when my brush has too much dried product. Usually flawless though!!
Yeah, I was thinking that was the problem. Thanks!

Prettypackages

I'm eyeing that one too. I haven't tried BB brushes yet, but most people I've come across seem to like them better than MAC brushes.

And I want to start using e/s for my brows not just a pencil, so I want the 208 now too.
so far I love it. It really deposits the perfect amount of powder.

MsButterfly

My first MAC brush was the 242. I've owned it for ten years now. It hasn't shedded.

This is my current brush collection. It's all eye brushes

242 eye shader brush (own 2 now)
239 eye shader brush
210 precision eyeliner brush

I owned the 217 blending brush but didn't like it. I found the bristles to be scratchy. I washed it but still the same problem. Maybe I got a dud?

Any brush rec's for applying loose mineral foundation? I have sensitive skin so soft bristles preferred. Thanks! :)

dorni

My 129 and 224 are scratchy, even worse than my SE ones, so I rarely use them anymore. Don't use the SE either.
Sadly some MAC brushes are ridiculosly overpriced in Germany, 43€ for the 129 and the 116, 36€ for the 224.
Recently I've bought a few Hakuhodo brushes, from their J Series, and so far I'm very pleased with them. They were cheaper than the MAC ones too.

DILLIGAF

Ot what are our thoughts on the Rae Morris brushes?
Hakuhodo and Rae Morris brushes are two brushes that I would like to try, Hakuhodo I can get at either IMATS or The Makeup Show NYC this year. The Rae Morris brushes I have no idea where to start looking in the states.

shellygrrl

Staff member
Hakuhodo and Rae Morris brushes are two brushes that I would like to try, Hakuhodo I can get at either IMATS or The Makeup Show NYC this year. The Rae Morris brushes I have no idea where to start looking in the states.
Ta-da! http://store.raemorris.com/collections/brushes

lilinah

I don't like too much blush. I use the 188 for powder and the 130 for cream. I also use the 188 for highlighters and contours.

Then i buff with a circular brush with a flat head to even things out.

Baby1black

lisalisaD1 has a review on the Rae Morris brushes.she is not really happy with them. I believe they do have a 10 piece set for 149.