MAC BRUSHES (GENERAL DISCUSSION)

LAKESHA1908

I'm definitely gonna pick some up tomorrow!
Ok, I agree It's good for spot cleaning ; ) Really Dial Soap?

My 10 year old has eczema, it flares up on occasion and she uses an ointment. I never knew they did chemo for eczema! Yes, you can use tea tree oil for the skin it even says it on the bottle.

LAKESHA1908

I really like their brushes. I only have a few, but their EB13 is a great synthetic tapered brush that can be used for many functions.

For the longest time, I refused to buy sigma brushes because I just thought they were overrated and everyone raved about them. I finally bought the Sigmax collection and I although I like the F80, I never reach for that set! I have reached for it a total of 3 times and it's been almost a year. Go figure.

I bought their E40 and it shed like crazy, I couldn't believe it! I called and they replaced it, but it still sheds quite a bit. I'm sticking to my handy 130 brush, my RT brushes and my 208, 224, 217, 239, etc...I will say that I like their small tapered highlighting brush though.
Yea, I think Sigma got really popular due to the chic's on YT selling their souls saying that Sigma was sooooooooooooo great and better than MAC lol....Of course they were getting paid to say this!!!

In no way shape or form are Sigma brushes better than MAC! Now, I need to order the Sedona Lace and see for myself! I have a list of Bdellium tools that I want.

erine1881

Ok, I agree It's good for spot cleaning ; ) Really Dial Soap?  My 10 year old has eczema, it flares up on occasion and she uses an ointment. I never knew they did chemo for eczema! Yes, you can use tea tree oil for the skin it  even says it on the bottle. 
Yeah, but don't use dial! Yeah I've been on chemo for 4 months for it. It's one specific type that treats eczema and psoriasis. So far it's not working :(. It's managed to go away on all parts of my body (back of neck, behind knees, shins, ankles), butnfor some reason we can't clear my palms or fingers (it's isolated to two fingers on each hand, symmetrically. My doctors never seen that before :dunno:). And as a makeup artist, i have to get it cleared, no matter what it takes. I also get a steroid shot every 3 months (which clears it 100%), but it only works for 4-6 weeks, and you can't get it any sooner than every 3 months. Ointments and creams don't work on my hands. So I'm willing to try the tea tree oil. I'm about to go to another derm group, not because i don't trust my doctor, but to see if they have any other thoughts or suggestions. It's very severe, and nothing my doctor comes up with works. So, if anyone has any other suggestions, please send em my way!

kimbunney

Anyone have some thoughts on Japonesque brushes? I see them all the time in Ulta was wondering how good are they? I also love the Real Tech. brushes I purchased especially the contour and face brush for powder foundation.

DILLIGAF

I can't remember what magazine it was but I've mentioned before that a prominent woman's magazine recommended putting brushes in your dishwasher to clean them.
jawdrop.gif

sss215

I was reading on Pinterest that white vinegar was good for cleaning bushes too. Does anyone do this? I'm always interested in natural cleaning solutions

MissTT

Quote: Originally Posted by DILLIGAF
I can't remember what magazine it was but I've mentioned before that a prominent woman's magazine recommended putting brushes in your dishwasher to clean them.
jawdrop.gif

Say what??? That would completely ruin them. I think you're making this up DILLIGAF. It's too stupid to be true. LOL

Prettypackages

this is my favorite brush to use with my liquid foundation. I went to a MAC class on bridal makeup and the MA said that due to the size of the brush she can apply foundation the fastest with it, she said its perfect for her when she has bridal parties and is pressed for time.

of course based on her recommendation, I brought one and really appreciated how fast you can apply product with it. the application is streak free and I think its due to the way the ends of the bristles are cut. Flawless and fast, that's why i love it. I also use this brush with my MSFN. its a great brush and I hope you can find a good way to make it work.
I can't imagine using that brush with powder... It looks like a paddle liquid found brush... Is it discont?

Prettypackages

It does help liquid foundation go on quickly and streak-free, but I found a new HG foundation brush (UD Optical Blurring Brush) so I won't be using this big, whopping paint brush for that again. Like you say though the cut of it is flawless. It's just a great quality brush. I've never tried MSFN. Is that mineral makeup? I don't really use pressed powders and quit the mineral makeup last year due to a suddenly developed allergic reaction to Bare Minerals.

So excited. This thread is going to be great!
that brush is awesome, but dense.

I bought Bobbi Brown's version. http://www.bobbibrowncosmetics.com/product/2282/24768/Brushes-etc/Brushes-and-Tools/Face/Full-Coverage-Face-Brush/SS13/index.tmpl
it feels floppy compared to that one.

I bought this hoping it would be similar to the 165 http://www.bobbibrowncosmetics.com/product/2282/24767/Brushes-etc/Brushes-and-Tools/Face/Sheer-Powder-Brush/SS13/index.tmpl

Prettypackages

I may be in the select few in makeup internet world but I don't really care for Sigma brushes. I know MAC is expensive especially if you're paying full price but for the long run its worth it. I purchased my first 224 brush nearly 3 years ago and I wash it, it's like brand new all over. It just falls back into shape. The letters have faded but the hair still feels soft and the blending gets the job done. I just feel some kind way about paying 100+ for a set of brushes that will fall apart in six months to a year of consistent use with consistent washing and cleaning. I'm not hard on my brushes either.

My favorite is the 226 it's perfecto for my crease.
I avoided the 224 like the plague. I bought almost EVERY crease brush, by EVERY brand to help with my hooded eyes. I realize it was user error. It wasn't until this year, maybe 6 months that I feel in love with the 224 and learned how to use it for me.

Prettypackages

Can anyone pls tell me.....
is the 130 tighter packed than the 187 189?????

im looking for a stippling concealer brush
have you tried using the eye crease brush that mac just came out? was it the 28--- ok I don't remember.

I bought the Laura Mercier version of this brush first and fell in love. It is perfect for diffusing color. If I did my crease too dark or heavy that would always work to diffuse the color.

Prettypackages

The black hairs on all three brushes are fairly densely packed. One big difference between the 187-188 and the 130 is that the soft white hairs on the 130 are short - only slightly longer than the black ones. So you do get more "access" to the denser hairs for holding and dispensing product.

The heads on all three brushes are round - IIRC the head on the 130 is about the same diameter as the 187 (which is larger around than the 188). So unlike most concealer brushes, which are flat, it may not get into every nook and cranny, but it works great with emollient products, so it's worth a try.

And, well, it's just great for all sorts of products, such as EDSFs and Casual Colour Creams.
I just bought the 188 and I'm in love. I love it for blush. I haven't tried it for highlighter yet.
I have a 187 dupe in Ecotools and Bare escentuals, so I haven't bought that one yet.
https://hunch.com/item/hn_3767811/bare-escentuals-feather-light-brush/
http://ambralightplay.wordpress.com/2012/12/30/ecotools-by-alicia-silverstone-5-piece-brush-set-review/

I returned the 130, it shed waaay too much. Maybe I'll try it again.

Prettypackages

Try the sephora pro airbrush concealer brush, #57 I believe. AMAZING for concealer
I have that, how do you use it? Pat it on? Stipple? Or rub it on the skin? As you can tell, I'm trying to find the best technique for it. Sometimes it blends like a dream. Other times it creates a patchy mess.

Latest posts