MAC BRUSHES (GENERAL DISCUSSION)

pemily

I have one from imAts (rae Morris brush)
in which I met the goddess herself and just ordered 2 more after doing work experience with a mua who loved them
Her books are the best IMHO

lilinah

So i'm looking at the photo of the 138 Tapered Face Brush. It sure is pretty and looks multi-purpose.
Is it a valuable addition to a brush collection? Or are there better brushes for the same purpose?

erine1881

So i'm looking at the photo of the 138 Tapered Face Brush. It sure is pretty and looks multi-purpose. Is it a valuable addition to a brush collection? Or are there better brushes for the same purpose?
It's a must-have if you're into contouring!

katruiz

I am going to repurchase three mac brushes. What would be the three eye/cheek you would recommend? I haven't used MAC brushes in forever! Thanks

jennyap

Great thread, so much useful info!

My brush collection is small, LE collections keep eating up my money, but I want to expand it for sure this year.

I currently have
130SE
187SE
282SE
286SE

I use the 129 and 239 every day - I need to get at least one more 239, love that thing!

I don't think I've even used the 282SE or 286SE yet - not sure what best to use them for, any suggestions?

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by katruiz
I am going to repurchase three mac brushes. What would be the three eye/cheek you would recommend? I haven't used MAC brushes in forever! Thanks

I would recommend either the 187 or the 188 Duo Fiber stippling brush. I prefer the smaller 188, but the two are quite similar. I find mine invaluable for applying blush and highlighter. They're especially good with intensely colored or sparkly products, in that they do not apply too much - so you can go for a subtle look - or you can build up more color if you prefer.

I should say i just use my 188 with powders, although the fibers can handle emollient products.

However, for cream blush and face products, i prefer the 130 Short Duo Fiber - it's short in that the soft white hairs are shorter then on the 187 & 188. It's great for Casual Colour creams - and i've just gotten some NARS cream blushes.

GlamYOURUs

MAC brushes I own...

Face:
129 SE

Eyes:
239 x 2
217 x 2
217 SE
275 SE
252 SE
239 SE
219 SE
212 SE
209 SE X 2
266 SE

Lips:
316 SE

Erine and gang, what brushes am I missing AND which ones do you HIGHLY recommend that is not in my stash?
I think my MAC stash of brushes is pretty good. I love them all! But I want to try other brands, what other brands do you also recommend? Thanks! =)

GlamYOURUs

I really reckon you shouldn't. :\
It's such a rip off and they didn't innovate anything, it's just an OVEN GLOVE that you can get any home appliance store. Save your money!
ohboy.gif

MissTT

I feel like I know the answer to this question while at the same time feeling like I'm missing something. What is the difference between a crease brush and a blending (tapered) brush? I've got a brush like the 226 which is called a blending brush, but it seems to be intended for the crease. Do I need something else for blending? I just confused myself.

pemily

I feel like I know the answer to this question while at the same time feeling like I'm missing something. What is the difference between a crease brush and a blending (tapered) brush? I've got a brush like the 226 which is called a blending brush, but it seems to be intended for the crease. Do I need something else for blending? I just confused myself.
A blending brush will be a little looser such as a 224 or 217

the 226 Is tighter packed to deposit more color

erine1881

MAC brushes I own... Face: 183 180 185 182 128 169 163 130 187 195 129 116 193 129 SE Eyes: 239 x 2 217 x 2 234 224 219 242 286 217 SE 275 SE 252 SE 239 SE 219 SE 212 SE 209 SE X 2 266 SE Lips: 316 SE Erine and gang, what brushes am I missing AND which ones do you HIGHLY recommend that is not in my stash?  I think my MAC stash of brushes is pretty good. I love them all! But I want to try other brands, what other brands do you also recommend? Thanks! =)
Definitely the 188 for either liquid foundation or cheek highlighting. The 226 if you can find it, and the 231 is insane for lips!!! I don't use any other brand brush, so i can't help ya there. But i will tell you the mascara spoolie and brow/lash comb from Sonja Kashuk (at target) are the bomb!!! Super inexpensive and very high quality!
I really reckon you shouldn't. :\ It's such a rip off and they didn't innovate anything, it's just an OVEN GLOVE that you can get any home appliance store. Save your money! 
ohboy.gif
Don't do it!!! I saw one like it in the kitchen section at BB&B for $10. But using your bare hand is FREE!!!

GlamYOURUs

Don't do it!!! I saw one like it in the kitchen section at BB&B for $10. But using your bare hand is FREE!!!
I have something similar to 188 in my stash that is non-MAC.

Omg how did I manage not to know about the 226!? I'll have to look on ebay.

I'll look into the 231.

I actually do like SK's brushes tbh. They do the job and they are affordable! I have her bent liner brush, crease and blending brush and a stippling brush. I recently bought a kit on clearance from her line and it has an amazing buffer/blush brush! So soft and dense. But I'll look for the mascara spoolie and brow comb.

erine1881

I have something similar to 188 in my stash that is non-MAC.  Omg how did I manage not to know about the 226!? I'll have to look on ebay. I'll look into the 231. I actually do like SK's brushes tbh. They do the job and they are affordable! I have her bent liner brush, crease and blending brush and a stippling brush. I recently bought a kit on clearance from her line and it has an amazing buffer/blush brush! So soft and dense. But I'll look for the mascara spoolie and brow comb.
I used to use SK brushes before i worked for mac and went crazy over their brushes. But you can't beat $2 for the spoolie! And I love the lash comb. I even have the travel one i keep in my purse at all times! My sister got it for me one year for an xmas stocking stuffer as a joke. I almost tossed it, but I'd be lost without it! Beats the new mac one (which is CRAP-thanks estee lauder and your shitty plastic blunt comb :mad:)

shellygrrl

Staff member
I really reckon you shouldn't. :\ It's such a rip off and they didn't innovate anything, it's just an OVEN GLOVE that you can get any home appliance store. Save your money! 
ohboy.gif
Now I've got Wayne Goss' video on it in my head, because that's exactly what he called it: an oven glove. :lol: Seriously, though, I agree; it's seriously overpriced for what it is. A dog groomer's glove is much less expensive, or you can just use your hands like usual.

Latest posts